maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars - Blah Blah Blahhh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
Emo Ren wins. Most of the planets in the galaxy are destroyed or colonized by sadistic protocol droids that use R5 units to keep the remaining populations enslaved. Emo Ren and Rey hookup and make a bunch of intensively evil massively powerful Force Children that are so hateful that they carve up the droid-ruled galaxy into enclaves and proceed to make war against each other until every sentient being, living or metallic, is dead. Finn and Phasma and a few disgruntled survivalists led by Maaz hop into a refurbished Star Destroyer to colonize some other Galaxy.

Surviving humans are mostly destroyed by robots.
Gather the survivors and go off searching for a new place to stay.

You've (very loosely) described the plot to the Battlestar Galactica(circa 2004) reboot.
(not to say that they their plot was original and had not previously been done by someone else).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17032
Stop hating on Star Wars "manbabies"...

Quote:
'Last Jedi' director strikes back at Star Wars 'manbabies'

It is a period of civil war in Star Wars fandom.

We're nearly seven months on from the release of The Last Jedi, and a certain very vocal minority of fans — you know, the kind who think a film can ruin their childhood — just can't let it go. And now the director is striking back.

The catalyst for this fresh round of warfare is the fact that Kelly Marie Tran, who played Resistance mechanic Rose Tico, mysteriously deleted all her Instagram posts this week. Tran has not explained why she did this; Mashable has reached out to her publicist for comment.

Rightly or wrongly, Star Wars fans are assuming the reason is the same thorn that has been in this particular fandom's side for some time: harassment. In a GQ interview earlier this year, Tran mentioned "really acidic, misogynistic, racist comments" she'd received regarding her casting in Last Jedi.

And she isn't alone. Daisy Ridley, who plays Rey, received similar treatment at the hands of a hardcore minority of haters before she quit social media in 2016. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has also been the target of multiple death threats.

On Tuesday, Last Jedi director Rian Johnson — the honey badger of Star Wars — hit back with a subtweet calling out the kind of fans who would indulge in such dickish behavior. He called them "manbabies" ...

What we talk about when we talk about manbabies

— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) June 5, 2018

... and quickly followed up to point out that the vast majority of Star Wars fans are kind and friendly even in disagreement. Luke Skywalker actor Mark Hamill concurred.

On social media a few unhealthy people can cast a big shadow on the wall, but over the past 4 years I’ve met lots of real fellow SW fans. We like & dislike stuff but we do it with humor, love & respect. We’re the VAST majority, we’re having fun & doing just fine. https://t.co/yhcShg5vdJ

— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) June 5, 2018

Same here, but over the past 40 years for me. https://t.co/5p2eYexgO6

— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 5, 2018

Meanwhile more than 20,000 fans added their retweets to a message of support for Tran, explicitly designed to "drown out the manbabies."

Hi if you think Kelly Marie Tran / Rose Tico's presence in Star Wars changed the franchise for the better, please RT so we can drown out the manbabies. pic.twitter.com/Q95CGI4lcY

— Suzie Samin (@suzannesamin) June 5, 2018

Of course, Johnson's mentions were replete with people apparently eager to prove his epithet was accurate.

Want to see the #StarWars equivalent of Trump blaming Democrats for his own policies? Here's a manbaby proving @rianjohnson's point by angrily blaming Kelly Marie Tran's harassment on ... Rian Johnson? pic.twitter.com/8pMDQuw1UD

— Chris Taylor (@FutureBoy) June 5, 2018

Other Star Wars creatives chimed in. Claudia Gray, author of the well-received Star Wars novels Lost Stars and Leia, Princess of Alderaan, pointed out that hatred ran counter to the principles of the franchise itself.

If you don’t understand that, you were never a Star Wars fan to begin with.

— Claudia Gray (@claudiagray) June 5, 2018

Or, as Yoda put it in a movie that spurred its own share of controversy: "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

The little green guy may never have traveled in the more toxic realms of Twitter. But he would surely recognize many manbabies who have fallen, Anakin-like, to the Dark Side.

https://mashable.com/2018/06/05/star-wa ... urope=true

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
mdiehl wrote:

“Solo” is the fourth in a severely disjointed sequence of movies that were all released in quick succession. There is absolutely no sense of direction to all this, no vibe that these movies are leading to something other than more references to the old movies.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Solo-Is-Failing-Because-Disney-Has-No-12961061.php

That. Precisely.

Of specific note, in Disney Wars' constant referencing of the old series, is their trashing of it at the same time.

Screwing up canon, such as jumping into hyperspace not actually being in hyperspace, for example. Bringing back old beloved main characters only to screw them up and kill them off.

Sure, they may be leaning heavily on the old films, but they're also pissing on them, and the universe they created, at the same time. This has been one of the numerous factors regarding people increasingly giving Disney Wars a pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
mdiehl wrote:
So, I broke down and listened to the vid link you just provided, and the narrator is full of shit. I'm no fan of The Last Jedi and have no interest in SJW epic flicks, nor in poofta-transformed Lando C. But the whole "by having pansexual Lando you are the moral equivalent of a pedophile" shtick immediately discredits the MORAL argument if there was one. It's an idiotic comparison. Also, calling Kennedy (producer of ET and Jurassic Park) a "towel girl" of film industry is an equally absurd remark.

Bottom line, I don't want to be proselytized at by SJWs nor by social-conservative-reactionaries. My wife and younger son saw the film and there was no moral corruption going on. They were reasonably entertained, but not raving about it.

I'll probably give it a miss just because all the grrrl power SJWs are so publically expressive about it. And because I agree with the SFGate nerds that a real direction for the series was lost by killing off Skywalker.

After Last Jedi, I still have no idea where the series is going. Will Emo Ren rule the galaxy? I don't really care. I mostly laugh at the idea of the character as a villain. Emo Ren is a petulant child who has no purpose of which he is aware and who will probably be saved by love or something like that. The opportunities for sjw cliches abound.

Rey is an interesting character, So is Captain Phasma. Also Finn. Frankly, of the remaining characters, the only really INTERESTING character is Finn.

Mdiehl writes the third new SW film:

Emo Ren wins. Most of the planets in the galaxy are destroyed or colonized by sadistic protocol droids that use R5 units to keep the remaining populations enslaved. Emo Ren and Rey hookup and make a bunch of intensively evil massively powerful Force Children that are so hateful that they carve up the droid-ruled galaxy into enclaves and proceed to make war against each other until every sentient being, living or metallic, is dead. Finn and Phasma and a few disgruntled survivalists led by Maaz hop into a refurbished Star Destroyer to colonize some other Galaxy.

Good points there.

And yea, I too think that the youtuber went way overboard every 2 minutes of the video and seems like he was overstretching just to have a crusade against all SW films categorically, regardless whether the last one could actually be good or not.

The biggest problem with TLJ is, I fear - mediocrity.

As for Han, somehow I just can't give two shits about the new movie. I have no faith in them somehow having come up with an interesting story.

In general my taste has been hugely affected by the more ballsy stories of Warhammer 40k etc., stuff where they don't categorically just catch moustached white guy villains who wear hats and monocles only to continuously ignore attacks on themselves and the murders and keep letting them go time and again "not to sink to their level" or some other pathetic emasculated bullshit.

Even Game of Thrones actually has things happen in it. Watching these new SW films today feels like nothing is going on, nothing too drastic happens and everything is shrugged off or so. It's hard to ever develop any bonds with any of the characters and if a character such as Phasma (strong woman?) is actually genuinely interesting then she doesn't suddenly get next to any coverage except maybe two lines in a 2+ hour movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8266
Watched Last Jedi on Netflix. It took three sittings but I watched it all. I'd give it a generous 2 out of 5 for a couple of good moments. The black guy and the skinny chick don't have the screen presence to carry a AAA film (or if they do then it's been kept well hidden from the audience). The tormented bad guy is the most interesting of the newbies but they didn't give him much to work with. To be fair to the actors, you could have put the biggest movie stars of all time in the cast and it would have still sucked. The writing is the worst in the franchise and that's saying something. It was embarrassing. The writer/director should never be allowed to work again. It's all on him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17032
Attachment:
1530772787887.jpg
1530772787887.jpg [ 485.9 KiB | Viewed 64 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
You guys do realize you are posting about a a movie that is an umpteenth movie off a 1978 original....that should tell you something,,,

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19