maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars - Blah Blah Blahhh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... cover-why/

Quote:
Box Office: ‘Solo’ Is Officially a Disaster as Media Cover Up Why

With no serious competition opening at the box office, Solo has officially collapsed with a catastrophic -68 percent drop in its second weekend. After grossing a measly (we are talking about a Star Wars movie here) $82 million in its debut weekend, Solo bottomed out in week two with just $28 million.
How bad is that?

Oh.

My.

In its second weekend, The Force Awakens was grossing $50 million A DAY.

The Last Jedi grossed $70 million.

Rogue One grossed $55 million.

In worse news, Solo is by far the most expensive Star Wars movie produced yet, with a reported price tag of $250 million. Add another $150 million for publicity, and we are talking about a $900 million worldwide breakeven point.

After The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi grossed a domestic $936 million, $532 million, and $620 million, respectively, Solo will probably skid to a stop before it reaches $230 million.

The news is just as bad at the international box office, where Solo has only added $82 million, despite opening everywhere.

Solo is going to lose a fortune.

A Star Wars movie is going to lose a fortune.

And our hopelessly corrupt entertainment media refuse to say why.

Despite the fact that Marvel releases a blockbuster hit two and three times a year, we are being told there is a thing called Star Wars fatigue because Solo was released a full five months after The Last Jedi.

This, despite the fact that the latest Avengers movie opened just nine weeks after Black Panther, and both are breaking box office records everywhere.

We are told the box office was too crowded the weekend Solo opened. Well, Solo pretty much has this weekend all to itself, and still, no one came. And a Star Wars movie is supposed to be the one that knocks, not the one knocked out.

How desperate are the entertainment media to cover up the fact that Kathleen Kennedy’s obnoxious, story-killing, left-wing politics are killing Star Wars? Over at the far-left Washington Post, Steven Zeitchik, who is actually paid money to analyze the box office, blamed it on — try not to laugh — a late spring release date, the fact Solo is a spin-off, yes, Star Wars fatigue.

Avoid spin-offs? You mean like Marvel? Marvel has more spin-offs than Law & Order and can’t stop breaking box office records.

Avoid late spring? Can someone please get this genius access to what we hicks in the South like to call The Google?

Deadpool 2 opened the week before Solo and has already grossed $231 million.

Continued at above link

Doesn't sound very good.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7743
chijohnaok wrote:
Doesn't sound very good.

Yep. It's not a totally bad movie, it's just not a good movie and for exactly the reasons listed here.

These last two Star Wars duds have made me think the prequel trilogy is worth watching. I can't believe I actually typed that...

After The Last Jedi, it's clear where KK and Co. want to do with this franchise. Too bad it doesn't involve actually telling a good story.

The hardcore SW fans (the legions of mostly Caucasian nerds who pay to see movies 5-10 times and who KK has told to screw off because they aren't her preferred demographic) have said "fuck it" until KK and Co. are told to pound sand and Disney decides to get some directors/executives who actually give a damn about the lore and source material without shitting all over classic characters and forcing SJW nonsense over compelling, classic storytelling.

Keep your virtue signaling out of Star Wars and you can resume raking in the dough, Disney.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:05 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 16907
Why do women have to ruin everything?

Attachment:
1528032138097.png
1528032138097.png [ 690.1 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 16907
Yup, this is just what Star Wars needs, more women...

Quote:
What Star Wars audiences are saying: Give us more women

Spoiler alert: This post contains a key detail from Solo: A Star Wars Story.

We're now in the second weekend of the first Star Wars movie since 2005 to feature a male lead. And we still don't know whether it will turn a profit — unlike the prior three movies of the Disney-Lucasfilm era, all of which had female leads.

The question is, will the Mouse House take a hint?

To be sure, Solo's financial woes have little to do with Alden Ehrenreich's gender. They have more to do with the boyish antics of its first directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who butted heads with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, who summarily replaced them with Ron Howard, who deemed most of their footage unusable. That ballooned the budget to the point where a $100 million opening weekend was a disappointment.

But on the other hand, here's a counterfactual to ponder: What if Disney CEO Bob Iger had greenlit a movie about young Leia Organa instead of young Han Solo?

In the era where Wonder Woman ($820 million international box office) outperformed every other DC movie, the era of badass princesses in Frozen and Moana and Beauty and the Beast, does anyone doubt that a prequel about the original badass Princess of Alderaan would have lured more people into the theater than a prequel about the no-name kid from Corellia?

After all, the character that seems to be generating the most buzz among Solo viewers on Twitter, the one causing people to change their avatars and their plans for cosplay outfits, isn't Han or Lando or Chewie. It's Enfys Nest, the mysterious bounty hunter who is revealed at the end of the movie — surprise! — to be a young red-haired woman.

I just finished my third viewing of #SoloAStarWarsStory and I love Enfys Nest. Her theme, the revelation of her true identity, her fighting skills, her heart, her armor, everything. Just a perfect and surprising character that adds so much to this film and the #StarWars saga. pic.twitter.com/LEXyGyod2z

— Domi Kenobi (@kenobi_domi) May 31, 2018

Meanwhile Star Wars critics, who never agree on anything, have come to a consensus on the other women of Solo. It's clear that Val (Thandie Newton) was underused in the film — the first black woman in the Star Wars galaxy is killed off in the first act. And that Qi'ra (Emilia Clarke) was somewhat boxed in by her role — she's a femme fatale, a century-old movie cliche.

While it's taking stock of all this feedback, Lucasfilm, which reportedly has Boba Fett and Kenobi movies in the works, may want to hit pause on more movies with male leads.

There remains one consistent fact about the Star Wars universe since 2015. Disney executives who thought they'd bought a "boy's franchise" — to the point where they actually licensed a T-shirt superimposing Luke Skywalker over Princess Leia in a scene from the original movie — have been proven wrong over and over.

Ignoring the fact that Rey was the lead character in The Force Awakens, these execs tried to flood stores with Kylo Ren merchandise — only to run into one of the biggest merchandising backlashes of the 21st century, the #WheresRey movement. Where Rey figures were available, Target and Toys R Us both reported, they were "flying off shelves."

The following year, Felicity Jones won widespread praise for her lead role as Jyn Erso in Rogue One. But the internet couldn't help but notice how little she was given to say compared to her male counterparts — a problem that was made worse by Tony Gilroy's extensive re-editing of the film, which cut almost all Jyn's dialogue from her opening scenes. Including, ironically, that classic line from the trailers: "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

The Last Jedi upped the ante on strong female protagonists. As a recent study revealed, women get 43% of screen time in the film, bringing it closer to equality than any other Star Wars movie.

That certainly didn't hurt the box office. Last Jedi made more than twice Solo's opening weekend haul, tiny minority of whining (and mostly male) fans be damned.

While retaining the previous episode's focus on Rey and her light-side/Dark Side dilemma, writer-director Rian Johnson also gave us Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran) and Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern). Both Rose and Holdo had scenes in which they were right and their knuckle-headed, suicidal men (Finn and Poe Dameron, respectively) were wrong.

Tragically, Carrie Fisher never got to star in a movie where General Leia was the main focus. (That was the original plan for Episode IX, Lucasfilm has confirmed). But Leia did at least get to use her Force powers for the first time in Last Jedi, not to mention getting the sassiest line of the film (to Poe: "Get your head out of your cockpit.")

SEE ALSO: Princess Leia was a rebel at 16: What we learned from her new YA novel

Other leading indicators: Forces of Destiny, the short animated series in which the women of Star Wars are the heroes, is about to enter its third season. And then there's Women of the Galaxy, a forthcoming Lucasfilm-licensed book about 75 female characters from across the franchise, which won widespread praised when it was revealed this week.

Clearly, this is no "boy's" franchise, and never has been. It is, rather, a franchise designed by and for progressives, one that made waves with feminists when it landed in 1977; one where the good guys are drawn from a diverse array of worlds and genders. (Never forget, the Rebellion against the Empire was led by a woman, Senator Mon Mothma.) Audiences were primed to expect equal rights long before Solo droid L3 started explicitly calling for them.

Perhaps it's not too late for that Leia prequel, either. There's already a great YA book — Leia, Princess of Alderaan, by Claudia Gray — whose storyline about 16-year-old Leia and Holdo heading off a galactic crisis seems ready-built for a screenplay.

Oh, and it has an obvious star. One who has already volunteered for the role, in fact.

Stop trying to make a Boba Fett movie happen when Millie Bobby Brown has said she wants to be in a Leia movie! pic.twitter.com/HaPCyWeIJB

— ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴍᴇʀᴇᴅɪᴛʜ, ᴅɪᴄᴇ ᴍᴏɴᴋᴇʏ (@MarkMeredith) May 25, 2018

Will Lucasfilm and Disney stop and listen? We can only hope.

https://mashable.com/2018/06/03/star-wa ... urope=true

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
article wrote:
How desperate are the entertainment media to cover up the fact that Kathleen Kennedy’s obnoxious, story-killing, left-wing politics are killing Star Wars? Over at the far-left Washington Post, Steven Zeitchik, who is actually paid money to analyze the box office, blamed it on — try not to laugh — a late spring release date, the fact Solo is a spin-off, yes, Star Wars fatigue.

LOL!

Solo released on May 25th.

The exact same day of the year when the original Star Wars began making huge numbers.

The same day other Star Wars movies have been released in the past.

These critics need to pull their heads out of their asses and stop being part of the fake media. It seems much of it is intentional, and not just explained by their ignorance and societal insulation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14302
I have to admit, that when a film is advertised primarily because of its promotion of diversity and all the SJWs start lauding it for that reason, I stay away. Haven't seen Black Panther. If people had left it as an entertaining film I would. But since it's a Schooling About Social Justice And Diversity, I will not. Probably I won't see Solo for the same reason.

Other Official News Sources say:

CNN: Just because no one is going to see Solo doesn't mean it is unattractive to the Star Wars fan base. [My comment is "Uh, YES, that is exactly what it means. Box office revenue is pretty much the de facto standard of popularity in a film."]

http://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/entertainment/star-wars-fans-analysis/index.html

Some guy named Chris Taylor: Star Wars Audiences Demand More Wymyn. [My comment: "Um, OK. If it's a good action flick and you put Millie Brown in a Leia movie three years from now, it could be a good thing. But it has to be about Star Wars, not Social Justice,"]

http://mashable.com/2018/06/03/star-wars-women-more/#45RajNwLwmqy

And of course, from SFGate -- i.e. NERDS who know their shit, the answer is that Disney just doesn't have a clear idea of what makes for good Star Wars films.

Quote:
Star Wars” in the Disney era has no identity of its own, as it opts to re-use the old franchise identity instead. The franchise now just lives in the past, with new saga movies judged by how well they echo previous “Star Wars” movies, and spinoffs that tie into the 40-year-old original trilogy instead of the new one they’re making right now.”

“Solo” is the fourth in a severely disjointed sequence of movies that were all released in quick succession. There is absolutely no sense of direction to all this, no vibe that these movies are leading to something other than more references to the old movies.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Solo-Is-Failing-Because-Disney-Has-No-12961061.php

That. Precisely.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:12 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
Poindexter wrote:
The hardcore SW fans (the legions of mostly Caucasian nerds who pay to see movies 5-10 times and who KK has told to screw off because they aren't her preferred demographic) have said "fuck it" until KK and Co. are told to pound sand and Disney decides to get some directors/executives who actually give a damn about the lore and source material without shitting all over classic characters and forcing SJW nonsense over compelling, classic storytelling.

Keep your virtue signaling out of Star Wars and you can resume raking in the dough, Disney.

Funny, I liked The Last Jedi but I only saw it once at theater. I saw Rogue One twice because I was very, very busy at the time.

And yet I haven't seen Solo movie. It isn't that I couldn't just go and watch it, I could have seen it three times by now given that I'm not super busy and am having some genuine free time after a long stretch of being busy.

In a way Star Wars Fatigue could be a real term - but it's not about watching too much Star Wars.

It could be that the fatigue is caused by all the Marxists jumping up and down and parading TLJ as "finally we have some proper SW propaganda for us! This is Politically Correct - FINALLY!" etc.
Those guys and gals, shit, they make one lose appetite real quick. And if they're so overly ecstatic about it then it does make me wonder what this "fatigue" really is.

Because, it's not really fatigue, is it? More like subconscious rejection trying to push it's way to surface. Something about the disc sitting on shelve for 3 weeks after buying it and still remaining unseen? By me? The guy who used to go and see every movie at least three times just in the theaters? Who still holds regular SW weekends watching through most of the films..

Something's not right here. I can tell by how I am not in the slightest troubled over not seeing the Solo movie at all in the theaters despite plenty of opportunity.
Because, usually I'd be twitching on the floor by now but obviously am not.

It's not fatigue, is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15050
I think the TLJ really put me off, to the point that I can't be arsed to bestir myself down to the Big Screen to watch it.

A shame because I really liked Rogue One and I actually think Solo is probably quite good - if it's a heist movie that happens to be set in the SW universe, like Rogue One was a war movie that happened to be set in the SW universe, I'd probably be all over it.

But TLJ was so awful and so patronising it's pretty much knocked the gloss off the brand for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050

EUBanana wrote:
I think the TLJ really put me off, to the point that I can't be arsed to bestir myself down to the Big Screen to watch it.

A shame because I really liked Rogue One and I actually think Solo is probably quite good - if it's a heist movie that happens to be set in the SW universe, like Rogue One was a war movie that happened to be set in the SW universe, I'd probably be all over it.

But TLJ was so awful and so patronising it's pretty much knocked the gloss off the brand for me.

I am GOOD at getting past the odd bit of patronizing here and there but seriously.. There's just so much of it.

Also, I love the SJW argument of "the lead has to be a black woman because women and blacks CAN'T RELATE to white men as heroes".

Well, if that holds then how am I going to relate to black transgender dude who says he's a girl? That's not crossing just ONE border such as skin color or sex - it's about as easy as it is to relate to a fucking chimpanzee who wants to wipe out all the white men as in those dreadful anti-human ape films. "The War for The Planet of The Apes of The for crying out loud!"

And then who was it again that brought in most of the money... Oh, right! It's white men! Because that's what the average "SW dork" looks like.

I'm glad we don't live in socialism. Otherwise if white men were the pariah class then there would be nothing to be done about it - we'd be taxed to provide propaganda films that loathe us as strawmen characters to spit and piss on.

Luckily I don't have to and won't support these kinds of films financially or otherwise.

Instead I am proud to be both White and Male.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14302
So, I broke down and listened to the vid link you just provided, and the narrator is full of shit. I'm no fan of The Last Jedi and have no interest in SJW epic flicks, nor in poofta-transformed Lando C. But the whole "by having pansexual Lando you are the moral equivalent of a pedophile" shtick immediately discredits the MORAL argument if there was one. It's an idiotic comparison. Also, calling Kennedy (producer of ET and Jurassic Park) a "towel girl" of film industry is an equally absurd remark.

Bottom line, I don't want to be proselytized at by SJWs nor by social-conservative-reactionaries. My wife and younger son saw the film and there was no moral corruption going on. They were reasonably entertained, but not raving about it.

I'll probably give it a miss just because all the grrrl power SJWs are so publically expressive about it. And because I agree with the SFGate nerds that a real direction for the series was lost by killing off Skywalker.

After Last Jedi, I still have no idea where the series is going. Will Emo Ren rule the galaxy? I don't really care. I mostly laugh at the idea of the character as a villain. Emo Ren is a petulant child who has no purpose of which he is aware and who will probably be saved by love or something like that. The opportunities for sjw cliches abound.

Rey is an interesting character, So is Captain Phasma. Also Finn. Frankly, of the remaining characters, the only really INTERESTING character is Finn.

Mdiehl writes the third new SW film:

Emo Ren wins. Most of the planets in the galaxy are destroyed or colonized by sadistic protocol droids that use R5 units to keep the remaining populations enslaved. Emo Ren and Rey hookup and make a bunch of intensively evil massively powerful Force Children that are so hateful that they carve up the droid-ruled galaxy into enclaves and proceed to make war against each other until every sentient being, living or metallic, is dead. Finn and Phasma and a few disgruntled survivalists led by Maaz hop into a refurbished Star Destroyer to colonize some other Galaxy.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next