maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars - Blah Blah Blahhh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
From Ace of Spades
(some embedded links at their site)

Quote:
February 23, 2018
J.J. Abrams, Who's Directing Episode 9 of Star Wars: Anyone Who Criticizes Star Wars Is Just "Threatened" By Women;
Joss Whedon No Longer Attached to "Batgirl" Project

—Ace
First, on Joss Whedon. Most articles use vague wording like that he's "departed" the long-threatened Batgirl film; Grace Randolph says "fired."

She notes the three reasons he's likely "no longer attached to" or "fired from" Batgirl:

1, he got into fights with Kevin Feige over Age of Ultron, and that film disappointed.

2, he re-shot Zack Snyder's version of Justice League, and that film is, reportedly, a total mess and would probably have ended the DCEU if Wonder Woman had not been a big cushioning hit.

3, although Joss Whedon continues to play the Sensitive Male Feminist card, and thus come up as an obvious choice to direct a Grrrl power movie like Batgirl, his ex-wife's revelations about his use of the Sensitive Male Feminist card to cheat on her and score easy ****y sort of makes his association with a female-based property questionable.

You gotta know that if Batgirl were real, Joss Whedon would be inviting her up to his apartment to see his Chinese etchings and his coffin coffee table.

He's a one-trick dick and I'll be glad when he get shit out of the lower intestine of the film industry.

Meanwhile, J.J. Abrams is resorting to using the the public relations defense that worked so well forGhostbusters: If you don't like our stupid corporate art-by-committee cashgrab, you're misogynist and bigot.

"Their problem isn’t Star Wars, their problem is being threatened," Abrams told IndieWire when asked about a social media group that admitted to deliberately trying to bring down The Last Jedi‘s Rotten Tomatoes score.

"Star Wars is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in Star Wars. If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in Star Wars," Abrams added. "You can probably look at the first movie that George [Lucas] did [Star Wars: A New Hope] and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that."

I hope the Ghostbusters Defense works equally well for Disney's Star Wars IP.

The problem might have something to do with producer Kathleen Kennedy explicitly re-making Star Wars into a feminism-boosting fantasy. The Force is Female, you know.

As Gandhi once said: Fuck all these people.

Posted by Ace at 04:28 PM Comments

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 16672
So apparently Lando Calrissian is pan-sexual now and wants to fuck droids...

Quote:
'Star Wars' Writer Confirms Lando's Sexual Fluidity In 'Solo'

A “Solo” writer opened up about Lando Calrissian’s sexuality and his desire for “a more explicitly LGBT character.”

Since the beginning of the “Star Wars” saga, we’ve wondered whether LGBTQ characters exist in George Lucas’ galaxy far, far away.

Up until 2018, there had been little to no queer representation in his decades-old franchise. And then “Solo: A Star Wars Story” happened.

The film centers on a young Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich ) and his associates Chewbacca (Joonas Suotamo) and Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover). “Solo” gives fans the Millennium Falcon backstory they had been pining for, with plum new defining character details. One of the more notable ones: Lando appears to be pansexual.

Lando’s sexual preferences ― possibly including men, women and droids ― are the subject of more than a few lines of dialogue in “Solo.” For example, the banter between Lando and Han Solo has been interpreted as flirting by some critics who have seen the film before its May 25 release (and many others who’ve watched only the trailers). Even Lando’s droid L3-37 (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) makes a joke about Calrissian’s teasing dynamic with Han in the film.

Lando might have romantic feelings for his droid too. For the record, L3 would not reciprocate those hypothetical feelings, but as she tells Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke), “it” would “work,” physically speaking.

Of course, these fanatic interpretations are based on subtext. Lando (Billy Dee Williams in Episodes V and VI) has been loaded with sex appeal ever since he brazenly told Leia she looked “absolutely beautiful” in “The Empire Strikes Back,” but there’s never been an explicit classification of his sexuality in the movies.

So, given the opportunity to speak with father-and-son “Solo” co-writers Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan, I asked them about Lando’s possible sexual fluidity. Is he pansexual?

“I would say yes,” Jonathan Kasdan emphatically said.

“There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s [portrayal of Lando’s] sexuality,” Kasdan continued. “I mean, I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it’s time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of.”

“He doesn’t make any hard and fast rules. I think it’s fun,” Kasdan said. “I don’t know where it will go.”

His father was more cryptic about the intentions. When I mentioned the moment in the movie when L3 jokes about Lando’s flirty attitude toward Han, Lawrence Kasdan said, “That is her personality. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn’t.”

Lawrence Kasdan’s ambiguity is more reflective of the broader “Star Wars” universe, a realm filled with every type of alien being imaginable, yet the rarest of all its life-forms seems to be LGBTQ characters. For the most part, these characters’ storylines have happened only off screen.

Take Vice Adm. Amilyn Holdo (Laura Dern) in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” who was revealed to be queer in the tie-in novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan. During a conversation between Amilyn and Leia, Amilyn describes a particular turn-on as follows:

“A pair of pretty dark eyes.” Then Amilyn thought about that for a moment. “Or more than a pair, if you’re into Grans. Or Aqualish, or Talz. Or even —”

“That’s all right!” Leia said through laughter. “It’s just humanoid males for me.”

“Really? That feels so limiting.”

“Thank goodness it’s a big galaxy.”

But there are no overt references to Amilyn’s romantic life in the film.

Some fans are rooting for a relationship between Finn (John Boyega) and Poe (Oscar Isaac) — a “Force Awakens” and “Last Jedi” ship lovingly dubbed FinnPoe — but that pairing looks less likely after the most recent movie.

In March, Boyega told HuffPost that his character’s kiss with Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) in “The Last Jedi” was essentially the kiss of death for FinnPoe.

“I don’t know if that’s going to happen,” he said, referring to a Finn-Poe romance. “I think we already established a love between Finn and Rey, and now a sneaky kiss from Rose ... There’s too many options, man. But I don’t know,” he said, adding that it’s ultimately up to Episode IX director J.J. Abrams.

Overall, the “Solo” writers said they were conscious of representation when shaping the movie. Jonathan Kasdan pointed out a moment early on in the film, in which they deliberately chose to make the audience question the norms of attraction in our world.

“There’s a line that [Jon Favreau’s character, Rio] has where he’s asking Han about the girl that he left behind, and he says, ‘Does she have big teeth?’” implying that such a feature would be appealing.

“It’s a joke in the movie, but we did want to hit on this idea that people’s ideas of what they’re attracted to all over the galaxy are very, very different and not exactly as set as ours are,” he said.

With so many new “Star Wars” projects on the way in the coming years, there’s hope for a more obvious LGBTQ character in the future. Until then, at least we have Lando.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 7e4c1b37a9

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:30 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
It was already foretold

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17677
Mac wrote:
So apparently Lando Calrissian is pan-sexual now and wants to fuck droids...

Quote:
'Star Wars' Writer Confirms Lando's Sexual Fluidity In 'Solo'

A “Solo” writer opened up about Lando Calrissian’s sexuality and his desire for “a more explicitly LGBT character.”

Since the beginning of the “Star Wars” saga, we’ve wondered whether LGBTQ characters exist in George Lucas’ galaxy far, far away.

Up until 2018, there had been little to no queer representation in his decades-old franchise. And then “Solo: A Star Wars Story” happened.

The film centers on a young Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich ) and his associates Chewbacca (Joonas Suotamo) and Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover). “Solo” gives fans the Millennium Falcon backstory they had been pining for, with plum new defining character details. One of the more notable ones: Lando appears to be pansexual.

Lando’s sexual preferences ― possibly including men, women and droids ― are the subject of more than a few lines of dialogue in “Solo.” For example, the banter between Lando and Han Solo has been interpreted as flirting by some critics who have seen the film before its May 25 release (and many others who’ve watched only the trailers). Even Lando’s droid L3-37 (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) makes a joke about Calrissian’s teasing dynamic with Han in the film.

Lando might have romantic feelings for his droid too. For the record, L3 would not reciprocate those hypothetical feelings, but as she tells Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke), “it” would “work,” physically speaking.

Of course, these fanatic interpretations are based on subtext. Lando (Billy Dee Williams in Episodes V and VI) has been loaded with sex appeal ever since he brazenly told Leia she looked “absolutely beautiful” in “The Empire Strikes Back,” but there’s never been an explicit classification of his sexuality in the movies.

So, given the opportunity to speak with father-and-son “Solo” co-writers Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan, I asked them about Lando’s possible sexual fluidity. Is he pansexual?

“I would say yes,” Jonathan Kasdan emphatically said.

“There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s [portrayal of Lando’s] sexuality,” Kasdan continued. “I mean, I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it’s time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of.”

“He doesn’t make any hard and fast rules. I think it’s fun,” Kasdan said. “I don’t know where it will go.”

His father was more cryptic about the intentions. When I mentioned the moment in the movie when L3 jokes about Lando’s flirty attitude toward Han, Lawrence Kasdan said, “That is her personality. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn’t.”

Lawrence Kasdan’s ambiguity is more reflective of the broader “Star Wars” universe, a realm filled with every type of alien being imaginable, yet the rarest of all its life-forms seems to be LGBTQ characters. For the most part, these characters’ storylines have happened only off screen.

Take Vice Adm. Amilyn Holdo (Laura Dern) in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” who was revealed to be queer in the tie-in novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan. During a conversation between Amilyn and Leia, Amilyn describes a particular turn-on as follows:

“A pair of pretty dark eyes.” Then Amilyn thought about that for a moment. “Or more than a pair, if you’re into Grans. Or Aqualish, or Talz. Or even —”

“That’s all right!” Leia said through laughter. “It’s just humanoid males for me.”

“Really? That feels so limiting.”

“Thank goodness it’s a big galaxy.”

But there are no overt references to Amilyn’s romantic life in the film.

Some fans are rooting for a relationship between Finn (John Boyega) and Poe (Oscar Isaac) — a “Force Awakens” and “Last Jedi” ship lovingly dubbed FinnPoe — but that pairing looks less likely after the most recent movie.

In March, Boyega told HuffPost that his character’s kiss with Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) in “The Last Jedi” was essentially the kiss of death for FinnPoe.

“I don’t know if that’s going to happen,” he said, referring to a Finn-Poe romance. “I think we already established a love between Finn and Rey, and now a sneaky kiss from Rose ... There’s too many options, man. But I don’t know,” he said, adding that it’s ultimately up to Episode IX director J.J. Abrams.

Overall, the “Solo” writers said they were conscious of representation when shaping the movie. Jonathan Kasdan pointed out a moment early on in the film, in which they deliberately chose to make the audience question the norms of attraction in our world.

“There’s a line that [Jon Favreau’s character, Rio] has where he’s asking Han about the girl that he left behind, and he says, ‘Does she have big teeth?’” implying that such a feature would be appealing.

“It’s a joke in the movie, but we did want to hit on this idea that people’s ideas of what they’re attracted to all over the galaxy are very, very different and not exactly as set as ours are,” he said.

With so many new “Star Wars” projects on the way in the coming years, there’s hope for a more obvious LGBTQ character in the future. Until then, at least we have Lando.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 7e4c1b37a9

Star Wars is dead to me. It officially ended when Lucas sold it to the Disneydiots and handed it over to a feminazi who slept & married her way into the Hollywood cabal long ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14925
This BS is starting to get old, frankly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17677
EUBanana wrote:

They're going to increasingly lose fans.

With so much money left to make up for the huge purchase of the Star Wars IP, it will take Disney longer & longer to get back in the black.

Even my mother complained about The Last Jedi as being "terrible" and she's a Lefty. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14925
NefariousKoel wrote:
EUBanana wrote:

They're going to increasingly lose fans.

With so much money left to make up for the huge purchase of the Star Wars IP, it will take Disney longer & longer to get back in the black.

Even my mother complained about The Last Jedi as being "terrible" and she's a Lefty. :lol:

I'm certainly not bothering any more. I'm not the only one either in my circle.

A shame, because Rogue One is probably my fave in the whole series, so it could have been awesome. As it is, no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:29 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8266
Quote:

No "we" didn't. I also didn't wonder if Cheerios exist in Lucas' galaxy. Why wonder about things not presented in the movie? You know Star Wars isn't real, right?

EUBanana wrote:
A shame, because Rogue One is probably my fave in the whole series, so it could have been awesome. As it is, no.

My favorite too. A good war movie that happens to be set in a galaxy far, far away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
To me, "wondering" if there are LGBTQ or otherwise perverted sentient beings in the Star Wars universe is just about 3rd grader level effort to appear "enlightened" and "open-minded."

As Catlover7 points out, it is a fictional universe so topics outside the scope of the narrative are frankly outside of legitimate consideration.

But another way to look at it is: there are human beings in Star Wars who are OBVIOUSLY identical in virtually every natural historical respect to humans on Earth, so YES, there must be LGBTQ people in the Star Wars universe, probably in the ballpark of 15% just like here on Earth (for all manners of sexuality except the 85+% heterosexual-orientation on the Kinsey Scale).

There were almost certainly LGBTQ people in: Huckleberry Finn, every Shakespeare piece ever written, The Mask of the Red Death, Moby Dick, Beowulf, and the Epic of Gilgamesh, and every other piece of literature ever written too, but who fucking cares!? Twain, Shakespeare, Poe, Melville, etc., managed to craft some of the most compelling narratives ever without any reference to such topics, so why would anyone feel any necessity to inject such topics into such narrative worlds? Should we also feel compelled to inject every other pet topic about which we feel is "important" to spread awareness and humanism? Ah shit! Star Trek doesn't have anybody suffering depression or bipolar and suicide is unheard of: better concoct some shoddy bases to write those topics into the ST universe cause we cannot just leave it alone!

Michelangelo's work is great and all, but no one has tattoos, none of the works depict ethnic minorities or transexuals. Best go "fix" all those paintings an sculptures so they are sufficiently "up-to-date and enlightened."

In sum: political correctness is a form of authoritarian ideological revisionism and its goal is not to advance individual merit, critical thinking, or even beauty and aesthetics, it is to ENFORCE a narrowly defined and culture-specific worldview which is supremacist, intolerant and oppressive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8266
Anthropoid wrote:
As Catlover7 points out, it is a fictional universe so topics outside the scope of the narrative are frankly outside of legitimate consideration.

But another way to look at it is: there are human beings in Star Wars who are OBVIOUSLY identical in virtually every natural historical respect to humans on Earth, so YES, there must be LGBTQ people in the Star Wars universe, probably in the ballpark of 15% just like here on Earth (for all manners of sexuality except the 85+% heterosexual-orientation on the Kinsey Scale).

I would agree that they obviously SHOULD be present but ultimately it was up to George Lucas to determine what existed in his creation. So why wonder about something that's subject to the whim of the creative artist? We think it's obvious but Lucas could have decided "Nope, no homos because Midi-Chlorians". Also, most artists I know prefer to let the viewer/listener/reader fill in the blanks as they see fit. IMO that's why the older Kasdan is "cryptic".

Quote:
Lawrence Kasdan said, “That is her personality. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn’t.”

Ironically his answer is more inclusive than the son's.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next