It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Punisher (Netflix series)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
After taking the spotlight in Daredevil Season 2, Netflix gave Jon Bernthal's Punisher his own series. He was superb in DD s2. The Punisher series came out on Netflix yesterday.

Watched the first two episodes. Thus far... Ehhhhh. Second was better than the first, though.

They've been focusing too much on the extra characters. We got a series about the Punisher, and it seems like half the screen time goes to the others, who just aren't interesting. The detective's story is the worst offender, and I cringed at some of her lines regarding backstory.

I hope the setup quickly passes, and it gets into Punisherville before long.

Because the supporting characters and their stories are --->

They need to finally get the focus on Frank and some serious anti-heroing.

Also be forewarned:

There are a few blatant virtue-signalling lines in the first couple episodes. Mostly in the first. The writer inserted a few lefty dog whistles, which was too blatant and rather cringey, but the signalling seem to be decreasing with time.

Not sure if it's the same writer(s) as the Daredevil series, in which they did a great job with the Punisher character. I have doubts.

Will continue watching. I've not hung up on it, especially since Frank has barely even begun to do his anti-hero thing, and I've yet to see the level of ultra-violence that were present in his DD scenes, such as the prison and diner fights. Missing that intensity thus far.

Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix series)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:57 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
According to Vox its a show about "white male anger"

Attachment:
1511096037741.jpg
1511096037741.jpg [ 148.62 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
*Yawn*

But yeah, thanks for saving me from wasting any time on that!

Netflix increasingly feels like a vast wasteland full of plastic SJW Kewpie dolls . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm 
Hair in the soap

I've seen 8 episodes.

They may as well have called it the Agent Medani and Micro Family show. :roll:

Expected them to draw it out, as they usually do with these series, but it's as if they didn't want Frank to do Punisher things during most of it.

I keep watching to see if it will kick in to the Punisher fury & brutality, but it appears they didn't want to write such a thing. Instead we get a bad, and sometime cringey, cop show interspersed with some Frank Castle The Surrogate Father. *sigh* WTF Netflix?

Mac wrote:
According to Vox its a show about "white male anger"

Vox? The pillar of social authoritarian revisionist "journalism"? Hahaha!

Those dickshits would attack each other, for not having pure enough thoughts, if nothing else existed for them to make up social injustices about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am 
Hair in the soap

Also - the "story" features your typical city commu-lefty's idea of a terrorist; a white male who believes in the preservation of the constitution.

No, I'm not necessarily talking about Frank Castle, but the ridiculously awkward puppet character they put in the story as a crazy terrorist who blows up civilians with a pressure cooker bomb and tries to shoot a politician while they're hanging out with others.

Pretty sure they call that "projecting". Standard M.O. for the metro-commies these days.

There are two reasons I haven't completely stopped watching. One is that they actually started ridiculing the anti-2nd amendment stuff in an episode (e8?) so maybe they got a writer with sense enough to stop fucking preaching. At least for that episode; I think it's a different writer for each.

The second is to see if they will get a writer who will let Bernthal loose, and stop dicking around. I'll be really disappointed if those assholes waste his awesome Punisher potential with their shitty touch-feely writing the whole damn series. :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
NefariousKoel wrote:
Also - the "story" features your typical city commu-lefty's idea of a terrorist; a white male who believes in the preservation of the constitution.

No, I'm not necessarily talking about Frank Castle, but the ridiculously awkward puppet character they put in the story as a crazy terrorist who blows up civilians with a pressure cooker bomb and tries to shoot a politician while they're hanging out with others.

Pretty sure they call that "projecting". Standard M.O. for the metro-commies these days.

There are two reasons I haven't completely stopped watching. One is that they actually started ridiculing the anti-2nd amendment stuff in an episode (e8?) so maybe they got a writer with sense enough to stop fucking preaching. At least for that episode; I think it's a different writer for each.

The second is to see if they will get a writer who will let Bernthal loose, and stop dicking around. I'll be really disappointed if those assholes waste his awesome Punisher potential with their shitty touch-feely writing the whole damn series. :x

Why not make a drooling Trump supporter the main villain mastermind?

I mean, imagine how silly it would be to have an Arabic league of Islamic terrorists they'd fight against.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am 
Hair in the soap

Kameolontti wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

I got the impression that at least some of the writers, in the early plot-creating episodes, attempted to do that. Then left the later creators to try and clean up their bullshit.

Quote:
I mean, imagine how silly it would be to have an Arabic league of Islamic terrorists they'd fight against.

IKR!

Well.. they wouldn't want to offend Islamics with such a stereotype, would they? So it's back to the usual villains they consider safe in the modern PC world. I could stomach it if it wasn't the plot of nearly every goddamn show.

Political correctness has fucked up entertainment so much, it's all just repeating the same tropes that garner the least amount of social outrage. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Kameolontti wrote:

American Horror Story has got you covered on that one mate...

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Can you imagine had there been the Obama equivalent of that show!? The outrage, the ACLU fillings, the double standards!?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 am 
Hair in the soap

Well.. the Punisher series finally got around to the Punisher things. When the episode number got into the double digits.

They could've just chopped nearly all the first 10 episodes off and been better for it. Still thought it should've been better, even at that point.

Disappoint. Waste of a character, and the perfect actor for it, due to some choda-puffing shit writers. A few (?) managed to salvage it near the end, but I still think I wasted too much time watching crap until then.

I'd actually encourage someone like Doggie to watch it, just to see him pick apart the little bullshit signalling in the first two-thirds of the season. :lol: