All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Software recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17794
OK,

I am reaching out to the computer geeks in the forum.

My parents do not own a computer, are not computer literate, and do not use the internet (my 80 yr old dad struggles sometimes just using the remote controls for the tv).

There are You Tube vids of their old homeland in Transylvania that various people have uploaded.
What I would like to do is "rip" these YT vids, then burn them onto a DVD so that my parents can play them on a DVD player and watch them on TV.

I did this some years ago but have moved onto a different laptop and do not remember the name of the software that I used at the time.

Any suggestions on some (free or lower cost) software that will accomplish what I am seeking to do?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Software recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2452
Check this article:
http://uk.pcmag.com/web-sites-products/ ... ube-videos
Quote:
Helper Sites
Want to avoid installing software? Video download helper sites do the work for you, providing conversion and then a download link—you don't have to install anything. It can take a lot longer, depending on the size and quality of the video you want—a typical two-minute movie trailer in 1080p can be around 50MB—but you can't beat the convenience.

A few of these sites try to go the extra distance by making it easy to grab video by letting you change the URL of a vid at YouTube just slightly, so the service takes over. For instance, change the "youtube.com" part to "vdyoutube.com" and the site VDYouTube takes over. (Or you can cut and paste the URL into VDYouTube.)

Other sites that do that: Save-Video.com (put the word "magic" between the "you" and the "tube") and YoutubeMonkeydownloader (change to "youtubemonkey.com"), SaveFrom.net (add "ss" before the "youtube.com"), and CONV. (add "conv" before the "youtube.com").

CONV.
Beware of the ad traps on some sites—ads that look like they should be the download button to get your desired content, but aren't.

Here are a few others helper sites that stand out.

Beats installing free or "free" software IMO.

vdyoutube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=4fxjUrlyQR0 got me the tank scene linked in the Military thread in .mp4, which played in VLC (and Windows Media player).

Seems easiest if you don´t want to install software, trick is downloading the proper format, mp4 should have your folks covered, suggest you experiment and see if it is doable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17794
Scharfschütze wrote:
Check this article:
http://uk.pcmag.com/web-sites-products/ ... ube-videos
Quote:
Helper Sites
Want to avoid installing software? Video download helper sites do the work for you, providing conversion and then a download link—you don't have to install anything. It can take a lot longer, depending on the size and quality of the video you want—a typical two-minute movie trailer in 1080p can be around 50MB—but you can't beat the convenience.

A few of these sites try to go the extra distance by making it easy to grab video by letting you change the URL of a vid at YouTube just slightly, so the service takes over. For instance, change the "youtube.com" part to "vdyoutube.com" and the site VDYouTube takes over. (Or you can cut and paste the URL into VDYouTube.)

Other sites that do that: Save-Video.com (put the word "magic" between the "you" and the "tube") and YoutubeMonkeydownloader (change to "youtubemonkey.com"), SaveFrom.net (add "ss" before the "youtube.com"), and CONV. (add "conv" before the "youtube.com").

CONV.
Beware of the ad traps on some sites—ads that look like they should be the download button to get your desired content, but aren't.

Here are a few others helper sites that stand out.

Beats installing free or "free" software IMO.

vdyoutube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=4fxjUrlyQR0 got me the tank scene linked in the Military thread in .mp4, which played in VLC (and Windows Media player).

Seems easiest if you don´t want to install software, trick is downloading the proper format, mp4 should have your folks covered, suggest you experiment and see if it is doable.

Thanks. I will check it out.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10509
If you want to try a "computer" you could get them a Kindle Fire (very low cost) and instruct them on using the browser and youtube videos. $135 new, $35 used.

Profile E-mail