It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: The Path (TV 2016-)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
The Path is a TV show about the inner workings of a cult on hulu: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4789576/

2 seasons out, a third announced.

Stars Aaaron Paul of Breaking Bad fame and Michelle Monaghan.

The smaller size, fictional Meyerist religious movement reaches a crossroads when the founder gets terminally ill and a new, young and driven leader, Cal, jockeys for power and wants to expand the cult. At the same time his friend Eddie loses faith in the movement while his born into it wife Sarah remains a staunch believer which causes a tug of war of loyalty, emotions and world view for them and their two kids. Soon things in the outwardly tranquil community start to unravel and explode into conflict and even violence.

The show does a good job of exploring Meyerism and the creepy aspects of a cult. The fictional movement is a well crafted conglomerate of Scientology, hippie leftovers, Yoga, Mormon religion and some social justice warriorism. It e.g. ironically is OK and even encouraged to smoke pot and take hallicunatory drugs, while at the same time members must shun meat and have as little social contact as possible with outsiders whom they call "ignorant systemites" or "IS" for short. We soon learn that for all its touchy feelyness the cult does not go easy on those who leave, employing stalking tactics and maybe worse. Another thing we see early on is that in contrast to the Meyerists' social justice rhetoric upper echelon members seem to do very well financially.

Hugh Dancy playing Cal does an excellent job. The other acting is meh. I think Aaron Paul is overrated as an actor, but he manages.

Overall it is an interesting new offering with an unusual topic. Does not avoid all TV entertainment tropes, though. I for one would love to once in a while see a LEO that does not have domestic troubles and is not in conflict with his little motivated, ignorant and focused on politics superior. :roll: And some hard to swallow logical holes. My wife and I are in the mid of season 2 and despite the weaknesses enjoy the show. There is a bit of a suspicious smell around season 2 that they might jump the shark, but for the time being a warm endorsment. Check it out.

I know, but big girls need love too.

Post subject: Re: The Path (TV 2016-)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17302
I watched my requisite 3 episodes. Couldn't get into it. Probably just not my thing - I can't relate to the situation at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:35 am 
Sergeant

The best thing about the show how they build this little fictional cult universe.

I sometimes channel Cal and adopt his mannerisms and my wife is like "Dont' do that, you're creeping me out." :mrgreen:

Redbubble has several Meyerist T-shirt designs: https://www.redbubble.com/de/shop/meyerist
"You will not buy this T-shirt!" Damn, I was half planning to wear it at a Christian Contemporary Mustic festival. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12999
reinald wrote:
The best thing about the show how they build this little fictional cult universe.

I sometimes channel Cal and adopt his mannerisms and my wife is like "Dont' do that, you're creeping me out." :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

You've probably seen this, and liked it . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am 
Sergeant

We finished the second season. Still think it's not a great, but solidly good show. I was ready to overlook weaknesses because the setting is something new and the inner workings of the movement and the adherents are well portrayed.

Richard: "I sacrificed everything for this: It has to mean something!"