It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Re: 'Confederate' alternate history HBO drama
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14675
Wonder if it'll be about the difficulty of governing a highly decentralised state, as the CSA would be?

There's the Confederated American States in Shadowrun as a sort of CSA takeoff. No slavery in it at all, mind, but they are almost the good guys in Shadowrun given the government there takes a dim view of megacorporate interests, fights evil Aztlan a lot, and seems to believe in individual freedom a lot more than the other states in Shadowrun do.

Don't tell the Lefties, they'll boycott Catalyst Games or something. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12999
Why would you say the CSA would be highly decentralised?

I had the impression the CSA was just about as decentralised as the U.S., perhaps less so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:

I had the impression the CSA was just about as decentralised as the U.S., perhaps less so.

I seem to recall the CSA had serious problems during the war trying to create a centralised army and levying enough tax to pay for it. Kinda hard to declare secession, say its about state rights, and then try and overrule those rights after all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

I seem to recall the CSA had serious problems during the war trying to create a centralised army and levying enough tax to pay for it. Kinda hard to declare secession, say its about state rights, and then try and overrule those rights after all.

From having a read this could well be bullshit IRL. But for alternative history, maybe grist for the mill.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think they did have problems that can be summed up as "lack of centralization," whether than be authority, logistics, whatever.

However, as far as I know, the Union had just as much (if not MORE) problems that could be summed up as lack of centralization.

The idea that the war was about "States Rights" was just as absurd in that day and age as it is today. The war was about slaver's rights, and all the hooplah about "resisting" an encroaching Federal authority was a smoke screen. There was only ONE reason the oligarchs of the south felt it was in their best interest to go to war, the election of the Lincoln regime placed the clearest threat ever that the constraints which had been placed on slavery would not be willingly eased by the Federal government, and moreover that the progressive illegalization of slavery in the not too distant future was inevitable.

Most sothrons may not believe it, either now or then, but they are fools to fail to see what is so abundantly clear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1612
The war was about state rights to keep slavery. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19649
nero wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the "states" did not keep(own) slaves, they were generally owned by individual slave holders. Therefore your snarky comment is not accurate.

I believe the argument was made that states had the right to determine whether the institution of slavery itself could be decided by individual states.

And as for the centralization issue, I also had the understanding that Confederate President Davis complained about his limitations to being able to call up troops from the various states. These troops were recruited (or called up) by the individual state governments. And this of course could cause issues when there were differences in how those forces should be deployed (by the state governor's desire or by the president's/central government's desire).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:40 am 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the "states" did not keep(own) slaves, they were generally owned by individual slave holders. Therefore your snarky comment is not accurate.

I believe the argument was made that states had the right to determine whether the institution of slavery itself could be decided by individual states.

And as for the centralization issue, I also had the understanding that Confederate President Davis complained about his limitations to being able to call up troops from the various states. These troops were recruited (or called up) by the individual state governments. And this of course could cause issues when there were differences in how those forces should be deployed (by the state governor's desire or by the president's/central government's desire).

Lincoln suffered much the same problems as far as I know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1612
chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Who had the political power in the South; the slave owners. "State rights, our rights". ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17177
Anthropoid wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Lincoln suffered much the same problems as far as I know.

The much more industrialized north had far better means to do so, however, and it showed in the Union's overwhelming progress, in that realm, during the war. The infrastructure, alone, left quite a spread between their comparative capabilities.