It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Lindybeige
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10757
Some archaeologist dude and war nerd who makes a lot of videos on historical subjects... war being quite a major one.

He'll piss mdiehlio off with his pro-British ways (actually he doesnt really talk about the US much at all so I guess maybe he won't), but I find some of his stuff interesting. He is Not an Axis fanboy. Two videos on how the Bren gun was actually pretty effective compared to the MG42, albeit in a different role and with different doctrine, that sort of thing. ;)

Here he is is pouring some cold water on the French Resistance. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lindybeige
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:55 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
Something dramatic happened to French culture when Napoleon was finally beaten. Prior to his era it seems to have been a corrupt aristocratic hegemony caste system, during his era it became a great nation, and with this defeat, it sunk into a cynical langor from which it has never really recovered it seems.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

He's great. Here he is pouring cold water on the katana. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:26 pm 
First Sergeant

I am puzzled at the seemingly ridiculous diversity of weapons forms in European history. His points about the details of sword smithing are quite compelling and it makes sense to me that the forces promoting arms races in Europe would be far more forceful after the fall of Rome. But the tremendous variety of weapon forms in and of itself doesn't prove much in my opinion; or rather: I'd want reasonably compelling evidence that the differences in form had functional advantages of one sort or another. I think a large amount of the variety in weaponry across the great expanse of post-Roman empire European history was just a matter of idiosyncrasy.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, surely a lot of it was armour vs weapons, thats the usual driver for weapons technology. Stabbing daggers like rondels for example. And you can definitely see a rapid evolution in the spear in Europe in the middle ages/renaissance. Which is a bit odd when you consider Rome and the Greeks and pretty much everywhere had the spear for a very long time. But in Europe you started with spears, then pikes, then poleaxes, then halberds... all various tweaks and improvements as war changed.

Here's his one on the Bren gun, I thought this was pretty dubious but it's nice to see someone going into battle on the subject!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
As someone who has carried a MG42 variant in the field and shot it I say this is hogwash.

The "test of time" argument is ludicrous. Postwar MG42 adaptions are widespread and still going strong. Just ask the Bundeswehr. Or all those nations that got it as an auxiliary weapon in their tanks.

Brens apparently are still used in India. Bug fucking deal.

As for the MG42 being an inaccurate spray weapon: BS again. I could hit a cigarette pack at 300m without optics. The MG42 is an excellent rifle, if you want to use it like this. It's got a seperate, long "winter trigger" that leands itself well to single shot bullseye shooting. But if you swivel intentionally, it sure makes an excellent are supressant as well. Anyways, what most people don't get is that nothing supresses as much as actual hits.

A German squad had way more firepower than the British. The latter's reliance on the individual rifleman was outdated. And of course not all German grunts would service the automatic weapons but take individual shots as well or do useful stuff like cover other angles.

What is true is that the MG42 can't really be shot on the move or standing. I did that as well and the gun breaks out immediately. What is also true is that the MG42 is of very limited use in an attack.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm 
First Sergeant

Isn't the M60 and its modern variant (M-249?) pretty much the MG42 design slightly modified?

Not my area of expertise but . . . I suspect most of these "which is better" debates are silly. In the first place, I suspect that for tools like weapons, there simply is no such thing as a "perfect" example of any particular variant (perfect machine gun, perfect handgun whatever). Personal preference, training, doctrine, , etc., have a way of making what would be a foible to someone else a benefit to the fans.

Second, is the issue of the social context in which the tool is designed, produced, trained and used. If a tool does its job sufficiently, and its users are given a chance to understand its use, its maintenance, etc., then it probably is just as good as one that is somehow objectively better on a few performance diagnostics but deficient in that it is more expensive, more time-consuming, or otherwise problematic. When you add on the "logistical" and "industrial/production" layers then what is an 'objectively inferior' tool on 1, 2 or even 50% of salient diagnostics MIGHT in fact be "better" for the nation that chooses it simply because it is easier for them to produce, distribute maintain and entrain. "Perfect" weapons are likely not a good choice if you have to produce hundreds of thousands of them with a limited amount of laborers, materials, experts, and facilities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:54 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532

An example of Metaron's videos.

A lot about Rome and Asia like his 'Ninja' video, he and I fully agree on Ninjas.

Profile E-mail