maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: The Expanse
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:15 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 11905
mdiehl wrote:
Well, OK, but she's doing the morality pet thing because she fucked up the previous morality pet thing and got the Somnambulist's captain's mate killed.

I guess they have not seemed to me to go overboard with it to the point where they've exceeded their quota of unicorn farts and sugarplumb fairies.

Maybe I don't have a problem because there are so very many WORSE s.f. shows that play the morality immunity from consequences card. For example Babylon 5 is a contrast. It's fucking ridiculous in its morality pet preachy no one gets killed for viewing the world as a moral black and white despite the complex grays and other hues in the real word. Hell, Sheridan sacrifices himself to die and he STILL gets a do-over.

I expect it, to some extent, in fiction like this.

Having read some of the novels, it just stands out even more since they've repeatedly piled it on extra heavy with tv-only additions to the story. I thought the story went far enough down this route without the additions and exaggerations, so that's why I griped.

Quote:

But yes, I'd like to see Expanse shift a bit closer to George RR Martin style plot and away from the Anne McAffery style.

I'm also for more realistic cause-and-effect narratives in fiction, and less Heroic Immunity. Increasingly so, I suppose. Guess the big & little screen is still catching up to it, despite the massive success of GoT & such. In this specific case it's going backwards from the original writing, which already had enough of that "Hero Plot Armor" included before it got the TV rewrite.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
NefariousKoel wrote:
Having read some of the novels, it just stands out even more since they've repeatedly piled it on extra heavy with tv-only additions to the story. I thought the story went far enough down this route without the additions and exaggerations, so that's why I griped.

The TV writers are taking liberties with the book source material and obviously try to "spice it up" for television with pointless drama. Little example: in the books Avasarala's son died a kid in a skiing accident. In the show they do the Hollywood thing and suck the military's dick for added drama by making her son an adult who died in combat. Unnecessary distraction, the strength of The Expanse is the human group dynamics of the crew and the strong, deep political main plot.

No need for starry eyed walk on characters staying behind to suffocate. Or Nagata suffering an 180 degree personality change for an episode and striving for outside validation by some grammy freighter captain.

Another thing: I am always wary when Amos appears in the books as well as in the show. The concept of "sociopathy" has been thrown around at random and watered down so much by the entertainment industry that it is meaningless. An actual sociopath would rape Nagata when he feels like it like blowing his nose. Amos is a guy who had to and/or wanted to do horrible things and thinks he is a sociopath. Or maybe likes to think he is as a means of an excuse. As such he is portrayed well, but I fear this is unintended and they actually mean sociopathy. Given his background story he furthermore keeps it together unrealistically well. With having been sold to pedophiles, mother a forced prostitute and all... In reality I do not see a person with that background making it aboard a ship.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10478
Quote:
In the show they do the Hollywood thing and suck the military's dick for added drama by making her son an adult who died in combat.

Disagree. It's not a distraction. The focus on it for all of about 15 seconds in ONE episode and a few seconds in another. It actually simplified the plot as compared with the books. Avasarala's assistant in the books is a mole for Errenwright, and there's this drawn out plot in the 2nd book where her assistant's cover is blown by Bobbie and she winds up as her Right Hand Gal.

The TV show neatly excised about 50 pages of the book's subplot with a fairly trivial rewrite of Cottwald's role and motive, and called him Cotyar instead of Cottwald.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:57 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
Yea, you're right. They do a good job of cutting things out. I did not like the Soren plot anyhow.

My problem like NK is more with the things they added.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10478
My best guess is that they're writing for the long plot. The only reason I can think of for the human cargo scene and putting all of the protomolecule-->Johnson decision on Naomi is to provide context for a future plot involving Naomi's past... which I won't discuss but you know what that's about. Likewise, setting up Amos as a kind of destructo-naif makes sense, given what we know from the books.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10