maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Expanse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
Drummer is cool. My kind of gal exactly. :mrgreen:

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 am 
Sergeant

!!!Minor spoilers for S02E08!!! (And books from about that point on)

Next plot prediction (that will most likely be proven wrong): The show will merge Anderson Dawes and Marco Inaros (book character) into one villain. S02E08 stets the stage for Dawes to become the big opponent for the rest of the season. He will want to destroy Earth and Mars to truly free the Belt. The stealth tech stolen by the OPA from S01 (remember the courier Avasarala has tortured) and the murder scene in the latest ep all set the stage for a shot at genocide of inners.

Also the TV show's Naomi is too young for a teenage child, that character will not appear in the show. Maybe Diogo will half take his or her place.

What kind of throws me off is that they included Prax in the show. I never had much use for his and his daughter's storyline.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm 
Sergeant

S02E09 a bit of a filler. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 am 
Sergeant

When Avasarala smiles, it's like a snake smiling. Shohreh Aghdashloo was a great casting decision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 11419
I have a major complaint about the TV series.

The first time they injected some extra little Goody-Goody moralizing sub-plot, which wasn't in the novels or was highly modified into this new iteration, I shrugged it off as Novel-to-TV writing syndrome.

But it became a terrible fucking habit. They keep adding this crap that goes nowhere, and doesn't need to be in it at all, in order to give some main characters extra Hero Polishing time. It's become goddamn annoying as shit, especially since they keep doing it in such blatantly obvious and interrupting ways. I've begun to regularly sigh and roll my eyes when this same weakly injected scenario keeps popping up.

I'm not sure if the original purpose for them was to just add extra filler, in order to drag out the length of the tv series, or to heap excessive amounts of Paladin Polish on a few characters. But it's repetition has been annoying, unneeded, and all too obvious. With the side effect of dragging out the plot too much.

I still enjoy the series, despite this intermittent junk. Did we really need all this extra bullshit? I don't think so; it is actually dragging it down some. But maybe it hasn't been such a glaring issue for some of you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10371
I suspect that they're setting up the whole "Jim Holden is such a cloyingly naive goody-two shoes" aspect to help viewers understand why even Avasarala wants to take him down a few notches.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:08 am 
Hair in the soap

mdiehl wrote:
I suspect that they're setting up the whole "Jim Holden is such a cloyingly naive goody-two shoes" aspect to help viewers understand why even Avasarala wants to take him down a few notches.

It's not even Holden they're setting up with this crap anymore.

Dunno if you watched the one from last week, but it's getting to be too many such fluff pieces being added to the tv series. Wouldn't be complaining so much if they didn't stick out so glaringly and drag on too much. :|

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Seen all of season 2. I don't have the same impression that you have in re fluff. It can't be just a string of action sequences. But maybe I don't understand your point.

The whole bit with Holden relentlessly pursuing the Blue Meenie is to illustrate in some fashion his descent into Miller-esque pragmatism as happens in the books. But after the Season 2 finale I'd say that they've dispersed that decent among the others including especially Naomi, what with her handing the pm off to Fred. In the books they chose to do that from the outset in return for free use of support facilities.

I suspect that shortens some of the more complex plot elements from the book in re Holden's and Naomi's morale shifts and their mutual reactions to same. The TV series acknowledges those shifts but seems to be abbreviating it in order to move the plot along.

I like how they've used Ming in the series. He's less of an astonished hobbit as he was in the books, and more of a dedicated scientist trying to also come to grips with what may have happened to his dot.

Likewise you notice they simplified the relationship between Avasarala and her assistant. I predict he'll either die of his wounds or else will just quit the scene on account of "debt paid to Avasarala's son" so that Bobbie becomes Avasarala's right hand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm 
Hair in the soap

mdiehl wrote:
Seen all of season 2. I don't have the same impression that you have in re fluff. It can't be just a string of action sequences. But maybe I don't understand your point.

The whole bit with Holden relentlessly pursuing the Blue Meenie is to illustrate in some fashion his descent into Miller-esque pragmatism as happens in the books. But after the Season 2 finale I'd say that they've dispersed that decent among the others including especially Naomi, what with her handing the pm off to Fred. In the books they chose to do that from the outset in return for free use of support facilities.

I suspect that shortens some of the more complex plot elements from the book in re Holden's and Naomi's morale shifts and their mutual reactions to same. The TV series acknowledges those shifts but seems to be abbreviating it in order to move the plot along.

I like how they've used Ming in the series. He's less of an astonished hobbit as he was in the books, and more of a dedicated scientist trying to also come to grips with what may have happened to his dot.

Likewise you notice they simplified the relationship between Avasarala and her assistant. I predict he'll either die of his wounds or else will just quit the scene on account of "debt paid to Avasarala's son" so that Bobbie becomes Avasarala's right hand.

While I definitely noticed the changes you mentioned, what I was complaining about is something different.

My latest example of the needless moralizing additions to the tv series was when they were worrying about taking on passengers and not having enough oxygen on the ship to save everyone.

That whole part where they promise the big dude a berth if he holds off the mob, Naomi flips out and decides to rescue them all despite everyone else's warnings (this part the most notable repetitions of these additions), dosing Amos to keep him from stopping her.... And then everything just works out perfectly and the Moral Life-Saving Crusader's actions (whichever character it's done for in the specific interjection) all come out shiny & rosy with little consequence.

These little episodal additions of Hero Flag Signalling just end up cheapening the other dire situations in the main plot IMO. Plus they blatantly stick out to me. Annoying. There has been a few of these in the tv series. Some longer than others.

Edit: As if someone read the screenplay based on the books and said, "I don't think these characters are risking their lives enough to save everyone, every time. You need to add more suicidal self-sacrificial attempts at saving others to this story to make the heroes even more heroic!". Tally it up as more Hollywood Injection, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, OK, but she's doing the morality pet thing because she fucked up the previous morality pet thing and got the Somnambulist's captain's mate killed.

I guess they have not seemed to me to go overboard with it to the point where they've exceeded their quota of unicorn farts and sugarplumb fairies.

Maybe I don't have a problem because there are so very many WORSE s.f. shows that play the morality immunity from consequences card. For example Babylon 5 is a contrast. It's fucking ridiculous in its morality pet preachy no one gets killed for viewing the world as a moral black and white despite the complex grays and other hues in the real word. Hell, Sheridan sacrifices himself to die and he STILL gets a do-over.

But yes, I'd like to see Expanse shift a bit closer to George RR Martin style plot and away from the Anne McAffery style.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next