It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Hacksaw Ridge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Pretty damn good if you ask me. Nice effort by a has-been alcoholic anti-Semite (Gibson).

My daughter and her boyfriend could not understand the sacrifice he (Dawes) was willing to endure for his principles. <facepalm>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hacksaw Ridge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:49 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:
Pretty damn good if you ask me. Nice effort by a has-been alcoholic anti-Semite (Gibson).

My daughter and her boyfriend could not understand the sacrifice he (Dawes) was willing to endure for his principles. <facepalm>

There is clear and historical precedence for acts like this.
---have her & him read some of the award citations for the Congressional Medal of Honor. The sacrifice that those MoH award winners made are extraordinary.
---refer her to the last sentence in the United States Declaration of Independence: "— And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18507
"Hey all those dead guys getting trucked out uncovered in front of y'all are the 96th. They climbed up that net right there. You're next"

Well that's just fucking great isn't it?

There's always stuff w/ the missus in movies like this, that took 45 mins.. I'm only half way through this dambed thing is 2 and half hour.

I like when the guy from dodgeball "Sarge" hops in a hole a jap grenade goes in there, he tells the other guy "bah it's ight" grabs it and fro's it out. 'I got this" :lol: I dunno it just seems over the top to me. I'd imagine men scared to death inching forward while trying to keep their heads down. It'd prolly make for a boring action movie.

There's an hour left still of Kill Bill Okinawa. Shrug.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
Just watched it with the other half.

Good friggin' movie. Even she said it was awesome. And she does not like war movies... she hated Saving Ryan's Privates!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8996
Enjoyed the story very much. The acting was fine. The combat started off with too much John Woo but then settled down some to just over the top. Glad it didn't turn out to be another Windtalkers. No attempt was made to paint the Japs in a positive light. Kudos for that too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
C_S wrote:
I like when the guy from dodgeball "Sarge" hops in a hole a jap grenade goes in there, he tells the other guy "bah it's ight" grabs it and fro's it out. 'I got this" :lol: I dunno it just seems over the top to me. I'd imagine men scared to death inching forward while trying to keep their heads down. It'd prolly make for a boring action movie.

I remember the old WW II vets saying that at times they were so exhausted that they wished they'd die just to get away easier - and that these thoughts were what scared them the most.

I can imagine that a certain type of person after fighting an enemy such as Japs for years in high intensity combat might come to develop a self preservation instinct that behaved differently from your average recruit.

You know, there are also a shit ton of records of various soldiers and officers going full stoic while under fire.

I don't find it impossible to imagine that the certain type of person could develop such stoicism when looking at death face to face daily. In fact certain martial arts ethos emphasize the need for certain type of stoicism and indifference towards your own survival as a method for allowing you to fight better. The European fencing manuals are certainly full of it - while they teach you how to parry and defend such as Liechtenauer start by saying that fencing is not for those who are easily startled.

As for the movie, I really liked it. We too had medics who refused to use weapons. I know of a specific one who was captured in 1939 and who was later executed as the Soviets division who had captured him was pocketed and later destroyed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18507
In combat my doctrine would be to make myself small. I don't know if I'd shoot or not but I'd slither away from any boisterous officers. I'd be scared half to death. If someone wants to be flamboyant ("i never duck!") they can do that shit somewhere else.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
C_S wrote:
In combat my doctrine would be to make myself small. I don't know if I'd shoot or not but I'd slither away from any boisterous officers. I'd be scared half to death. If someone wants to be flamboyant ("i never duck!") they can do that shit somewhere else.

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/commen ... e_to_duck/

I'm not entirely sure being super cautious would really help that much if there's shells raining down, and that was the main killer in WW2 and WW1 after all.

Profile E-mail