maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2017
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
Quote:
Long an advocate of a single European currency to replace the once all-powerful deutsche mark, Mr. Kohl was accused of ignoring what turned out to be one of the currency’s most stubborn challenges after it came into circulation: Without a political and fiscal union to buttress it, the currency remained prey to crises, like the turmoil that drove Greece to the brink of economic collapse in the mid 2010s.

At the close of the 20th century, Mr. Kohl had resisted pressures to turn over the party leadership to somebody younger. Instead, he decided to prove his critics wrong and run for chancellor again in 1998 against Mr. Schröder’s Social Democrats, who argued that after 16 years it was time for a change. Mr. Kohl’s party went down to defeat.

Mr. Schröder was no more successful in solving the unemployment problem than his predecessor, but Ms. Merkel eventually reaped the benefits of an overhaul introduced under Mr. Schröder.

In recent years, with European unity shaken by recession and political recriminations about why the euro had become so divisive, Mr. Kohl — accused by some of not insisting on greater political unification of Europe when the euro was introduced — was outspokenly critical of his successors for “ruining my Europe.” Among other things, he faulted them for insisting on strict financial austerity in response to the global recession that began in 2007.

But he denied dismissing them as imbeciles, as he was quoted as doing in “Legacy: The Kohl Transcripts” (2014), a book by Mr. Schwan and Tilman Jens that drew on hundreds of hours of confidential interviews that Mr. Schwan said he had conducted to ghostwrite Mr. Kohl’s memoirs. One disputed quotation had him saying that Ms. Merkel “didn’t even know how to properly use a knife and fork.”

Mr. Kohl disputed the accuracy of that and 115 other quotations and sued the authors and their publisher, a subsidiary of Random House, for violation of privacy. In April 2017, a court in Cologne awarded him damages of a million euros ($1.1 million), a record. The defendants appealed.

Later in 2014, he published “With Concern for Europe,” a book written with the help of his wife. “Have we lost our minds — and our sense of responsibility, too?” he wrote.

For all the rancor surrounding him at home, however, his standing among former allies on the world stage remained largely intact.

“In more than size, he was the largest figure on the European continent in decades,” former President Bill Clinton wrote in his memoir, “My Life,” in 2004. And in a statement on Friday, the elder former President Bush called Mr. Kohl “a true friend of freedom, and the man I consider one of the greatest leaders in postwar Europe.”

Alan Cowell and Melissa Eddy contributed reporting.

RIP

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:34 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9407
I remember when he united Germany, many weren't happy.

RIP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Stephen Furst 1955-2017

Known for Flounder in Animal House, Vir Cotto in Babylon 5, and Eliot Axelrod in St. Elsewhere. Apparently he broke into the biz as a pizza deliveryman in H'wood by dropping his resume in every pizza box he delivered to a studio.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/entertainment/stephen-furst-obit/index.html

Vir Cotto waves goodbye to the evil Mr. Mordon, whose death Cotto has helped to bring about:

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Michael Bond creator of Paddington Bear passes away aged 91...

Quote:
Michael Bond, the creator of beloved children's character Paddington Bear, has died at the age of 91.

He died at his home on Tuesday following a short illness, a statement from his publisher Harper Collins said.

Bond published his first book, A Bear Called Paddington, in 1958.

The character, a marmalade-loving bear from "deepest, darkest Peru" who comes to live in London, went on to inspire a series of books, an animated TV series and a successful 2014 film.

As well as Paddington, he also created characters including Olga da Polga, A Mouse Called Thursday and a French detective named Monsieur Pamplemousse.

A sequel to the Paddington film will be released later this year.

"So sorry to hear that Michael Bond has departed," Stephen Fry wrote on Twitter. "He was as kindly, dignified, charming and lovable as the immortal Paddington Bear he gave us."

Comedian and author David Walliams also paid tribute, remembering the author as "a dazzling wit and perfect gentleman".

Hugh Bonneville, who will be seen in Paddington 2 reprising his role as Mr Brown, said it was "particularly poignant" to learn of Bond's death on the last day of shooting the sequel.

"In Paddington, Michael created a character whose enthusiasm and optimism has given pleasure to millions across the generations," he said.

"Michael will be greatly missed by his legions of fans and especially by his wife Sue, his family and of course by his beloved guinea pigs."

StudioCanal, producer of the Paddington Films, said it was "deeply saddened" by his passing.

Obituary, by Nick Serpell

On his way home from work on Christmas Eve in 1956, Bond spied a lonely teddy bear on the shelf in a shop window, and took it home as a stocking filler for his wife.

He called it Paddington because they were living near Paddington Station at the time.

While musing over a typewriter and a blank sheet of paper, he wondered idly what it would be like if an unaccompanied bear turned up at a railway station looking for a home.

Born in Newbury in 1926, Bond began his career at the BBC and later worked on Blue Peter as a cameraman.

He served with the RAF and the army during World War II and began writing in 1945 while stationed in Cairo.

More than 35 million Paddington books have been sold worldwide. The most recent, Paddington's Finest Hour, was published in April.

Charlie Redmayne, chief executive officer of HarperCollins, said he was "one of the great children's writers" who had left "one of the great literary legacies of our time".

Ann-Janine Murtagh, executive publisher at HarperCollins Children's Books, remembered the author as "a true gentleman, a bon viveur, the most entertaining company and the most enchanting of writers".

"He will be forever remembered for his creation of the iconic Paddington, with his duffle coat and wellington boots, which touched my own heart as a child and will live on in the hearts of future generations."

Speaking to the BBC in 2014, Bond revealed he had created Paddington "to please myself" and that he would "carry on writing the books as long as I can".

He is survived by his wife Sue, his children Karen and Anthony, and four grandchildren.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40432946

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 pm 
Commie of the Year in Exile

Reputation points: 1021
[quote="Mac"][/quote]

SLAAK WAS ASKING FOR YOU BTW. He's still alive obviously.
Well done on the RIP work. 2016 must have been a cunt of a year.

I'll never see him live. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16681
Oh, I get it...everyone in this thread is dead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
jack t ripper wrote:
Oh, I get it...everyone in this thread is dead.

I have been posting this shit for years now, you only just noticed?

Attachment:
35b84c4a28140d7bafe6d90fbf425071085557ca89875542680acbbaa1bfbbe1.jpg
35b84c4a28140d7bafe6d90fbf425071085557ca89875542680acbbaa1bfbbe1.jpg [ 119.87 KiB | Viewed 469 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:00 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16681
Well, it is the movie sub-forum. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9407
Quote:
‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ star Michael Nyqvist dead at 56
AFP-JIJI
JUN 28, 2017

Michael Nyqvist, the Swedish star of the original “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” films, died at the age of 56 on Tuesday after battling lung cancer, his manager said.
(continued)
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... Vz2D4SGOJA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
abradley wrote:
Quote:
‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ star Michael Nyqvist dead at 56
AFP-JIJI
JUN 28, 2017

Michael Nyqvist, the Swedish star of the original “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” films, died at the age of 56 on Tuesday after battling lung cancer, his manager said.
(continued)
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... Vz2D4SGOJA

Also played Keanu Reeve's nemesis in John Wick and Tom Cruise's in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next