Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:05 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
Pff..

Always doom & gloom if the first night doesn't go to eleven. :roll:

Frankly, I'm surprised people still bother to go to a new movie on it's opening weekend. Traditionally full of excessively loud teens & crowds.. may as well wait.

Especially when you can get reviews, from regular non-entertainment associated Joes, on YT in almost no time and make a more informed decision about seeing it days later.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
NefariousKoel wrote:
Pff..

Frankly, I'm surprised people still bother to go to a new movie on it's opening weekend. Traditionally full of excessively loud teens & crowds.. may as well wait.

Especially when you can get reviews, from regular non-entertainment associated Joes, on YT in almost no time and make a more informed decision about seeing it days later.

Envy? :roll:

My motive is my daughters name day.

A small kindness. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Do movie theater ticket returns even matter at this point? Isn't a large fraction of the total sales tail in the other distribution forms?

Re: the two short films, the first one I found hokey. The second one was good.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:57 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Anthropoid wrote:
Do movie theater ticket returns even matter at this point? Isn't a large fraction of the total sales tail in the other distribution forms?

Re: the two short films, the first one I found hokey. The second one was good.

Great excuse for the execs not to give any bonuses.

"See, it didn't make profit on the day 1! Y'all are fired!"

Then it ends up making some silly 1500% ROI, but who cares, it didn't on the first day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pm 
Hair in the soap

nero wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
Pff..

Envy? :roll:

My motive is my daughters name day.

A small kindness. ;)

WTF are you rambling about?

Have you been drinking heavily?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 am 
Hair in the soap

Went to a late evening show.

Quite enjoyed it.

If you're looking for an action movie, this isn't it. The movie's long, and a slow burner.

But it was a beautifully dark world, and lets you soak up that sweet dystopian flavor. Also - not for those who dislike dark moody shit. I was locked in for the whole 2 hours and 43 minutes, or thereabouts. Soakin' it up. Immersed in it.

In other words, if you enjoyed the original Blade Runner, you'll enjoy this one. Go see it. 8-)

Hollywood didn't sodomize the property with it's cookie cutter bullshit in this sequel, as they've done to so many remakes & reboots in recent years. Feels true to the original. :ugeek: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
NefariousKoel wrote:
Went to a late evening show.

Quite enjoyed it.

If you're looking for an action movie, this isn't it. The movie's long, and a slow burner.

But it was a beautifully dark world, and lets you soak up that sweet dystopian flavor. Also - not for those who dislike dark moody shit. I was locked in for the whole 2 hours and 43 minutes, or thereabouts. Soakin' it up. Immersed in it.

In other words, if you enjoyed the original Blade Runner, you'll enjoy this one. Go see it. 8-)

Hollywood didn't sodomize the property with it's cookie cutter bullshit in this sequel, as they've done to so many remakes & reboots in recent years. Feels true to the original. :ugeek: ;)

Only the music was kinf of put off, Vangelis IMHO was much better in the 1st.

I saw the 2d version. I am just wondering should I see the 3d? Perhaps, or 2d again. :roll:

But what I did not like was the ending without an ending. The sequel is inevitable.

So it goes.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm 
Hair in the soap

nero wrote:
Only the music was kinf of put off, Vangelis IMHO was much better in the 1st.

I saw the 2d version. I am just wondering should I see the 3d? Perhaps, or 2d again. :roll:

But what I did not like was the ending without an ending. The sequel is inevitable.

So it goes.

There were some mid-to-high notes, in the synth music, which was too loud. Happened maybe three times that I recall. With the final long note having been built up too loud at a plot point moment.

The ending didn't bother me. It was left suggestively open. Not really a need for a part 3, but it's there if they want it I suppose. One of the reasons I enjoyed this new flick was because it didn't go overboard force-feeding the viewer like so many Shoddywood movies do these days. Lets us fill it in with our own speculation or imagination at the moment.

Similarly, I enjoyed the acting. I've seen a few people complain about Gosling having little facial expression, but I think they're completely wrong. In the dark, slow, and often dialogue-less moments, the subtle emotion is there on their faces. It's just not overloaded with exaggerated emotives compared to other movies. I actually empathized with Gosling's main character more because it was obvious his character was nearly always trying to contain or hide his emotions, yet slipping just enough out to far more emphatic effect when it's widely on display. It also reiterated the dreary mood of the setting.

The 'Luv' character was also similarly great character, regarding reserved emotion that would occasionally be let loose to some degree, but in a different & contrasting way. She was wonderful. Most of the actors were.

I want to watch it again, to pick up the subtleties I know that I missed. In the character acting, and in the backgrounds.

As I mentioned, it won't be for everyone. But thus far the aggregated review ratings seem to have it rated pretty highly, which is about where I expect it to be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Sounds like braving a night in the theatre; terrorist and psychopathic spree killers be damned!

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
One of my mates just gave it 4.5/5 and 10/5 for the sound track!

Profile E-mail