maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:05 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17715
Reputation points: 14634
Pff..

Always doom & gloom if the first night doesn't go to eleven. :roll:

Frankly, I'm surprised people still bother to go to a new movie on it's opening weekend. Traditionally full of excessively loud teens & crowds.. may as well wait.

Especially when you can get reviews, from regular non-entertainment associated Joes, on YT in almost no time and make a more informed decision about seeing it days later.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 13179
Reputation points: 2401
NefariousKoel wrote:
Pff..

Always doom & gloom if the first night doesn't go to eleven. :roll:

Frankly, I'm surprised people still bother to go to a new movie on it's opening weekend. Traditionally full of excessively loud teens & crowds.. may as well wait.

Especially when you can get reviews, from regular non-entertainment associated Joes, on YT in almost no time and make a more informed decision about seeing it days later.

Envy? :roll:

My motive is my daughters name day.

A small kindness. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 9529
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 10688
Do movie theater ticket returns even matter at this point? Isn't a large fraction of the total sales tail in the other distribution forms?

Re: the two short films, the first one I found hokey. The second one was good.

_________________
Nero: So what is your challenge?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:57 am 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7389
Reputation points: 15171
Anthropoid wrote:
Do movie theater ticket returns even matter at this point? Isn't a large fraction of the total sales tail in the other distribution forms?

Re: the two short films, the first one I found hokey. The second one was good.


Great excuse for the execs not to give any bonuses.

"See, it didn't make profit on the day 1! Y'all are fired!"

Then it ends up making some silly 1500% ROI, but who cares, it didn't on the first day.

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17715
Reputation points: 14634
nero wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
Pff..

Always doom & gloom if the first night doesn't go to eleven. :roll:

Frankly, I'm surprised people still bother to go to a new movie on it's opening weekend. Traditionally full of excessively loud teens & crowds.. may as well wait.

Especially when you can get reviews, from regular non-entertainment associated Joes, on YT in almost no time and make a more informed decision about seeing it days later.

Envy? :roll:

My motive is my daughters name day.

A small kindness. ;)



WTF are you rambling about?

Have you been drinking heavily?

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17715
Reputation points: 14634
Went to a late evening show.

Quite enjoyed it.

If you're looking for an action movie, this isn't it. The movie's long, and a slow burner.

But it was a beautifully dark world, and lets you soak up that sweet dystopian flavor. Also - not for those who dislike dark moody shit. I was locked in for the whole 2 hours and 43 minutes, or thereabouts. Soakin' it up. Immersed in it.

In other words, if you enjoyed the original Blade Runner, you'll enjoy this one. Go see it. 8-)



Hollywood didn't sodomize the property with it's cookie cutter bullshit in this sequel, as they've done to so many remakes & reboots in recent years. Feels true to the original. :ugeek: ;)

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 13179
Reputation points: 2401
NefariousKoel wrote:
Went to a late evening show.

Quite enjoyed it.

If you're looking for an action movie, this isn't it. The movie's long, and a slow burner.

But it was a beautifully dark world, and lets you soak up that sweet dystopian flavor. Also - not for those who dislike dark moody shit. I was locked in for the whole 2 hours and 43 minutes, or thereabouts. Soakin' it up. Immersed in it.

In other words, if you enjoyed the original Blade Runner, you'll enjoy this one. Go see it. 8-)



Hollywood didn't sodomize the property with it's cookie cutter bullshit in this sequel, as they've done to so many remakes & reboots in recent years. Feels true to the original. :ugeek: ;)

Only the music was kinf of put off, Vangelis IMHO was much better in the 1st.

I saw the 2d version. I am just wondering should I see the 3d? Perhaps, or 2d again. :roll:

But what I did not like was the ending without an ending. The sequel is inevitable.

So it goes.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17715
Reputation points: 14634
nero wrote:
Only the music was kinf of put off, Vangelis IMHO was much better in the 1st.

I saw the 2d version. I am just wondering should I see the 3d? Perhaps, or 2d again. :roll:

But what I did not like was the ending without an ending. The sequel is inevitable.

So it goes.



There were some mid-to-high notes, in the synth music, which was too loud. Happened maybe three times that I recall. With the final long note having been built up too loud at a plot point moment.

The ending didn't bother me. It was left suggestively open. Not really a need for a part 3, but it's there if they want it I suppose. One of the reasons I enjoyed this new flick was because it didn't go overboard force-feeding the viewer like so many Shoddywood movies do these days. Lets us fill it in with our own speculation or imagination at the moment.

Similarly, I enjoyed the acting. I've seen a few people complain about Gosling having little facial expression, but I think they're completely wrong. In the dark, slow, and often dialogue-less moments, the subtle emotion is there on their faces. It's just not overloaded with exaggerated emotives compared to other movies. I actually empathized with Gosling's main character more because it was obvious his character was nearly always trying to contain or hide his emotions, yet slipping just enough out to far more emphatic effect when it's widely on display. It also reiterated the dreary mood of the setting.

The 'Luv' character was also similarly great character, regarding reserved emotion that would occasionally be let loose to some degree, but in a different & contrasting way. She was wonderful. Most of the actors were.

I want to watch it again, to pick up the subtleties I know that I missed. In the character acting, and in the backgrounds.

As I mentioned, it won't be for everyone. But thus far the aggregated review ratings seem to have it rated pretty highly, which is about where I expect it to be.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 pm 
Offline
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 9529
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 10688
Sounds like braving a night in the theatre; terrorist and psychopathic spree killers be damned!

_________________
Nero: So what is your challenge?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 am 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7389
Reputation points: 15171
One of my mates just gave it 4.5/5 and 10/5 for the sound track!

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group