PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13425
Let the hype BEGIN! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
Well of course I'm putty in their hands. Most favorite movie ever. Pretty sure I had the entire script memorized at one point . . .

However, some concerns: this Gosling guy, hmmm, just not sure. It is almost like they tried to find someone as "close to a Harrison Ford-alike" as possible. In sum, another "reimagining" like that dreadful JJ Abrams New-Old Star Trek stuff--which I haven't seen, but it just looks absolutely dreadful and "made to move product" (games, toys, paraphenalia, apparel) . . .

Was it REALLY necessary to have Harrison Ford in the flick? Is it really going to prove to be a beneficial plot device and not a ham-fisted "hinge it" on the known?

People have been clamoring for more "Blade Runner" for years and I'm among them. But that didn't mean revisiting the same god damn cop from the original movie in some flimsy plot link to a younger version of the same character! That is just cheap formulaic crap . . .

Granted, the movie might over come that. The linkage that requires Ford to be in the film might be demonstrated to be based on a brilliant story and not merely a stupid formula, but prima facie, that seems less likely. So sadly I have to say: it is already going up hill against negative expectations for me.

And what is with this video game desert setting and some big abandoned like municipal building? Just doesn't say "Blade Runner" to me.

I hope Scott hasn't lost his brilliance and that this doesn't felch demon semen out of Satan's gay asshole.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:26 pm 
Hair in the soap

Anthropoid wrote:

However, some concerns: this Gosling guy, hmmm, just not sure. It is almost like they tried to find someone as "close to a Harrison Ford-alike" as possible. In sum, another "reimagining" like that dreadful JJ Abrams New-Old Star Trek stuff--which I haven't seen, but it just looks absolutely dreadful and "made to move product" (games, toys, paraphenalia, apparel) . . .

The first JJ Trek movie was great.

Also not sure about Ryan Gosling. I haven't been sold on the guy as an actor. Lots of people praised his acting in that movie where he's a quiet stoic getaway-driver-for-hire, but I shut the damn thing off after 30 minutes. Thought he was pretty 'meh' in it. Maybe he'll sell the blade runner bit better. I'm not going to give up on this OR Ridley's new Alien movie. From the sneak trailer, it looks like they may have managed to retain the brooding vibe from the old movie which is a good sign.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:44 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Quote:
Impeccably cool Blade Runner 2049 is a ravishing visual feast: EW review

Leah Greenblatt@Leahbats

Posted on September 29, 2017 at 9:00am EDT
http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/29/blade-r ... 49-review/

Drudge sez this is the first review.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:57 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Here's another rave review
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/s ... villeneuve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm 
Hair in the soap

It's been getting some good reviews.

Definitely helps that it's an actual sequel. NOT a fucking remake or the exact same plot disguised as a remake (*cough* JJ you bastard *cough*)

I'll go watch it in theaters a week or two after it's out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:50 pm 
Hair in the soap

They put out some short films teasing the intermediate timeline events between the old movie & new.

I thought they were interesting enough to keep me looking forward. Also a cool marketing idea to have some other directors do the shorts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 pm 
Hair in the soap

Pre-reviews have been saying it's great.

Definitely seeing this sometime in the next week or two. Probably sooner, rather than later, now that it's getting much praise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Helsinsky Sanomansky gave 5/5, Finnish YLE showed interviews of the directors and actors. And did give a very positive critique of the movie.

So I will watch it on Sunday 2017-10-8 17:30. :mrgreen:

I will give my critique after seeing the movie.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15009
http://deadline.com/2017/10/ryan-goslin ... 202183063/

Quote:
Flying Car Fizzles: Why ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Is Hitting Turbulence With $36M+ Opening

4th Update, Friday 11:47PM: What a fascinating business. This weekend a $35 million-budgeted horror movie in its fifth frame will gross close to nine times its production cost with a running domestic B.O. total of $304.6M.

At the same time, a $155M-plus attempt to reboot a cult sci-fi franchise may not even make it to $100M by the end of its domestic theatrical cycle.

We are, of course, comparing New Line/Warner Bros.’ It and Alcon Entertainment/Sony’s Blade Runner 2049, and the latter is now looking at a three-day weekend of $36.5M, an awful start for this brilliantly crafted cinematic opus directed by Denis Villeneuve and executive produced by Ridley Scott. In fact, Blade Runner 2049‘s projected weekend isn’t that far from Scott’s summer misfire Alien: Covenant ($36.1M).

By some miracle, should Blade Runner 2049 get into the low $40Ms by Sunday, it’s still not a fantastic start for this tentpole size budgeted sci-fi film. One financier remarked tonight that they weren’t impressed by the early European B.O. results for the sequel, and that it’s now up to Asia to save Blade Runner 2049.

Those affiliated with the movie have been saying that $400M is the magic breakeven number, but Deadline sources believe that’s far from true. One source with knowledge of the budget claims it’s significantly higher in the $170M range versus the $155M being floated around. To Alcon’s credit they took advantage of foreign credits and rebates, shooting Blade Runner 2049 in Hungary. One insider even asserts they came in under their original proposed budget.

Nonetheless, this is truly a very depressing result for Blade Runner 2049: Here was a passionate attempt to revive a cult classic, be completely faithful to its original property from its mind-blowing production design to its sophisticated plot, and now kerplunk. Similar to the way that time was on the side of the original Blade Runner —it’s a groundbreaking piece of filmmaking that has far surpassed its initial commercial prospects (it bombed back in 1982 making close to $28M stateside)– perhaps history will also be kind to Blade Runner 2049. The jawdropping sequel is truly an awards season film, and should Warner Bros. rally behind Blade Runner 2049, perhaps more people will find it. On the PR side, Blade Runner 2049 is Villeneauve’s best opening as a director besting Arrival‘s $24M, and it’s also Ryan Gosling’s, his previous being Crazy, Stupid, Love with $19.1M.

Continued at above link

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail