Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Re: DUNKIRK
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
EUBanana wrote:
reinald wrote:
Anyone know a good book on the evacuation? The more big picture, scientific, the better.

This one seems pretty hard core, not read it myself though...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Operat ... ion+dynamo

Thx!

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10823
Rather too arty for me. 3 out of 5 Dunkirk jacks.

The RAF pilot guy was a flippin' hero, though, made all the more heroic due to being surrounded by the arty bleakness of war and all. The stiffest of upper lips.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:53 am 
Sergeant

What is the history there? The RAF only tentatively engaged over Dunkirk to conserve for BoB?

Makes my head ache: What if Hitler had not halted his tanks for two days? Or in relation to the following BoB, what if certain interwar RAF generals had had their way and left Britain without fighter planes to build even more 4-engine bombers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8657

This is how it happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:04 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
abradley wrote:

This is how it happened.

Sorry, but I take anything the BBC says with a plate full of salt.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 pm 
Sergeant

Great find, thx for sharing.

I especially like their busting all those silly half educated myths about Dunkirk.

One little thing I disagree with, though: they focus too much on the power struggle between Hitler and OKH and at this being his only motive to halt the advance. In reality I think Hitler also was genuinely worried that the armored spearhead itself could be cut off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
How the hell could the German advance through the low countries in 1940 ever be considered "A surprise attack!?" which the BBC states at about 2:48 in that video.

Let me make sure I have the facts of history correct:
1931-1933 Nazi party seizes control
1933 -1934: Hitler gains dictatorial power

I would say that . . . if anyone of any political consequence in either France or GB were paying attention to events in Germany at the time, there should have been very LITTLE if any capacity for "surprise" at this point. An obviously violent, extremist political party had by end of 1934 gained complete control of Germany. A party which spoke of Lebensraum and of vindicating the wrongs committed by the Treaty of Versailles. In my opinion, the fact that the Western powers were caught with their pants down and their dicks waving in the wind some 5 years later AFTER the Germans had: reoccupied the Rhineland, annexed the Sudetenland, annexed Austria, AND invaded and conquered Poland is THE REASON for the disaster on the Western front in spring 1940.

The fact the BBC uses either fallacious or sloppy language like "surprise attack" to refer to the German advance into France in 1940 is all I need to hear to turn it off and disregard anything more they might have to say. Did they interview some old vets? Yes I can see that. Did they martial their cinematic and editorial and narrative skills? Obviously. But a cogent and insightful "How it really was" does not include bullshit like "surprise attack" to characterize the 1940 western "blitzkrieg."

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
How the hell could the German advance through the low countries in 1940 ever be considered "A surprise attack!?" which the BBC states at about 2:48 in that video.

Let me make sure I have the facts of history correct:
1931-1933 Nazi party seizes control
1933 -1934: Hitler gains dictatorial power

I would say that . . . if anyone of any political consequence in either France or GB were paying attention to events in Germany at the time, there should have been very LITTLE if any capacity for "surprise" at this point. An obviously violent, extremist political party had by end of 1934 gained complete control of Germany. A party which spoke of Lebensraum and of vindicating the wrongs committed by the Treaty of Versailles. In my opinion, the fact that the Western powers were caught with their pants down and their dicks waving in the wind some 5 years later AFTER the Germans had: reoccupied the Rhineland, annexed the Sudetenland, annexed Austria, AND invaded and conquered Poland is THE REASON for the disaster on the Western front in spring 1940.

The fact the BBC uses either fallacious or sloppy language like "surprise attack" to refer to the German advance into France in 1940 is all I need to hear to turn it off and disregard anything more they might have to say. Did they interview some old vets? Yes I can see that. Did they martial their cinematic and editorial and narrative skills? Obviously. But a cogent and insightful "How it really was" does not include bullshit like "surprise attack" to characterize the 1940 western "blitzkrieg."
Did the Allies know he was going to attack on 10 May 1940, did the allies know he was going to attack and capture Fort Eben-Emael opening the way for German troops into Belgium.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4420
Watched it, wedding anniversary gift from the wife.

I agree with EuB, 3 out of 5. IIRC the director said it was not a war movie like A Bridge Too Far, but more a sort of disaster type movie - which is correct IMHO. There is some attention given to the overall picture of the evacuation but mostly it follows a few induviduals in a not quite linear fashion.

There is a tip of the hat to the French holding the perimeter (did not think the French would at all be mentioned actually).

I'm currently reading Steinhoff's Messerschmitt's over Sicily so I found the air scenes more interesting...

Robert Jacksons Dunkirk: The British Evacuation, 1940 is a dated but decent book on the fighting around and evacuation of the channel ports.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm 
buck private

Quote:
Saturday at the Movies: A Review of Dunkirk

Posted by Sgt. Mom on July 23rd, 2017 (All posts by Sgt. Mom)

I took it into my head to see Dunkirk in a movie theater on the opening weekend. I don’t think I have done since the early nineties (when we returned from Spain, where movies showed at the base theater six months to a year after premiering.) The last time I saw a movie in an actual theater, instead of at home on DVD or on streaming video was – if memory serves – The Kings’ Speech, in 2010, or it may have been The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in 2013. We saw the latter in an Alamo Drafthouse cinema, notable for being set up in a civilized manner to serve tasty adult beverages before and during the showing, as well as equally tasty entrees. They also have a positively Soup-Naziesque attitude about talking, texting, ringing cellphones and children disturbing the movie experience – an attitude of which I regretfully approve. One toot on yer flute, or on your cellie, and you’re oot, as the saying about the woman in the Scottish cinema with a hearing horn used to go. Adding to the charm of the experience – you can book a ticket for a specific seat and showing through their website, and pay for it online in advance. Print out your ticket on your home printer, waltz into the theater at the appointed time – and yes, this is one thing I do like about the 21st century.
Back to the movie. The necessary trailers for upcoming releases reminded me powerfully about why I have not been to a movie theater for a movie since 2010 or 2013, especially a trailer for a superhero concoction called The Justice League. No, sorry; so much my not-cuppa-tea that I wouldn’t move two feet off a rock ledge to watch it, or anything else there was a trailer for. Fortunately, the pre-feature features were few and relatively brief.
Then to the main feature, which began very quietly, with a half-dozen British squaddies wandering down a narrow street on the outskirts of Dunkirk, under a fluttering of German propaganda leaflets … which set the situation as it exists, and supplies one of the young soldiers, appropriately named Tommy (Fionn Whitehead), with a supply of toilet paper. Read the rest of this entry »
http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/55642.html#more-55642

Profile E-mail