All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Rogue One
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14090
I recommend.

Also, don't fall into the hipster bullshit of going in to the movie just so you can tear it apart like all the cool kids online.

I went and looked at and it already has a ton of reviews before even the premier? What? There were more scores given on imdb than there were people invited to the LA invite only premiere. Fishy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rogue One
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:47 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
What!? No links!?

Damn . . . that does look pretty good.

So what up? Did they fire JJ Abrams or something?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:49 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9637
An incredible multicultural mishmash...

Wait. What thread is this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 pm 
First Sergeant

Can someone please explain this to me?

I totally skipped the "Farce Engorges" thing and based on the reviews so glad I did. It looks like a total merchandise spinoff/money grab.

But this . . This Rogue One thing . . . this looks (from the trailers) like the old Star Wars _vision_ and style, but updated to 2016 technology, with a bit more diversity in the phenotypes, but without the sanctimonious "Here! Have a Mary SUE! AND a black stormtrooper! AND a LGBT droid! We are SOOO progressive and educated!" that seems to ooze out of every pore of Farce Engorges.

So was Lucas so horrified by what JJ did to his baby that he invoked some clause in his sell-off agreement to Disney and hurriedly got this new one made to atone?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:20 am 

Anthropoid wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me?

I totally skipped the "Farce Engorges" thing and based on the reviews so glad I did. It looks like a total merchandise spinoff/money grab.

But this . . This Rogue One thing . . . this looks (from the trailers) like the old Star Wars _vision_ and style, but updated to 2016 technology, with a bit more diversity in the phenotypes, but without the sanctimonious "Here! Have a Mary SUE! AND a black stormtrooper! AND a LGBT droid! We are SOOO progressive and educated!" that seems to ooze out of every pore of Farce Engorges.

So was Lucas so horrified by what JJ did to his baby that he invoked some clause in his sell-off agreement to Disney and hurriedly got this new one made to atone?

What the fuck are you on? I want some too.

I didn't post any trailers because trailers are spoilers. You see a scenery setting and a scene and you end up waiting for them to end up in that kind of scenery - so that the scene you saw will show up. It sort of ruins the surprise for me.

I HATE the social indoctrination of "children, this is how Anal Sex is performed. Being Gay means you're STRONG and BETTER. Some really, really strong people can even reach the plane of being confused about their sexual identity".

Now, I didn't see any of that in the movie - but I suppose that if you're a paranoid ultraconservative with a mission and are getting the withdrawal jitters then yes maybe you can pick up how dental floss is an evil scheme by LGBT community to induce chemicals into your brain that will turn you gay.

IF (a big if) you can just go in, put the politics to a basket and watch this kickass movie that easily rivals Return of the Jedi - you might actually be able to enjoy it.
THEN as you exit you can pick the politics from the basket and continue as you were.

It is important to note that "OH NO, WATCH MY SHOCKING VIDEO" is a job for many people on the youtube. They literally invent "shocking" things like tabloid press do so they get viewers because they get money from viewers.

I was in the world premier watching it and less than 30 minutes after it had ended I was saying how good it was and one of my friends said "well, I heard it's not as great as the Ep7"

And yes, I really drilled him on the issue and no, his friends did not see the movie at world premier nor had they been invited to Hollywood for the exclusive viewing.

People these days, half of them are hipster and think it's cool to throw shit on stuff like that and the rest just mimic what they hear others saying. And then there's the tiny but vocal Social Media professionals who make money by making video clips that "reveal shockers".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:36 am 

11Bravo wrote:
An incredible multicultural mishmash...

Wait. What thread is this?

You haven't actually seen it, have you?

The "ethnic" buildup of important and key characters is very close to original three movies. Essentially anyone who matters is white and there's also an important woman who can look after herself, like Leia in the originals.

SPOILER

and she's not important because she had somehow made herself be important but like Leia, it is circumstantial.

END SPOILER

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:43 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
Tickets to opening today. I'll let you know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13425
I've seen it mentioned as a Star Wars "war movie", or "heist movie". So that bodes well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:17 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
NO SPOILERS!!!

A nicely done Star Wars movie...that's the good news. The bad news.....a nicely done Star Wars Movie. You will understand when you see it.

Now that my finely thought out review is complete, do not miss the last 10 minutes. Unexpected and expected. You will understand when you see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:25 pm 
First Sergeant

Not often I am keen to go to the movies, but thanks for cluing us in on this one Kame. Looking for my tickets now!

. . . trailers on Youtube which require a user to click "play" are not spoilers. If that were true then a web-browser would be "a spoiler."

I'm more multicultural than is humanly possible, but I don't want every fucking cheesedick director and producer in anyWood movie land reminding me how important it is to be a "moderate unaffiliated liberal secular humanist" (MULSH). I was MULSH long before it was cool and I don't pay to be lectured on it.

Profile E-mail