maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:32 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Rogue One: fantastic movie

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:56 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
Loved it.

Especially the ending. It really does a great work of tying together the movies too so Ep4 is even better movie with more meaning now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 am 
First Sergeant

There were a few moments (transitions mostly) which were just a _tad_ bit awkward. The pace seemed _slightly_ rushed at times (which is amazing given it was, what? nearly a 3 hour movie!?). One or two of the critical character-defining moments were just _slightly_ awkward. All minor issues that at worst would bump it down from a ~9.9 to a 9.6 or 9.5.

The fact it weaves so perfectly, and compellingly into the canon of the universe. The fact it shows us a very different side of the fairy tale. The good to stellar acting (which is always a risky thing to say because "good acting" is not sufficiently accounted for by the ACTOR, it depends on the whole process: [writer/screenwriter, producer, director, editors] if any single point in the production chain is flawed, even the most brilliant actor in the world can be made to look "mediocre" or worse). The awesome action scenes. The decent drama.

My response to movies tends to be bimodal I think: love 'em or hate 'em. I guess I figure, if it is "average," then in fact is sucke and it plummets from 5 or 6 down to 2.5 or 3. But if it can get into the 7.5 or 8 ballpark then I start "going along with it," trying to find every small thing I like about it to help it get a bit higher. Probably a relict of my teaching days: if you don't put in the effort, or merely engage the material like you are in a permanent hangover, you get no breaks and the math decides your fate. But if you do put in the effort, small subjective factors can be weighed in your favor so you might wind up with a 90 instead of a 86.

All that said, I don't have a "strong" feeling about a 1 to 10 rating or Rogue One. It is mostly definitely above an 8, and I don't feel comfortable giving it a 10. Its innovation and sheer mastery make me wish I could give it a 10. But like I said, there are some "awkward" elements . . .

9 is a pretty safe bet, that number doesn't feel forced to me. 9.5 is the highest I think I could go, but more likely somewhere closer to 9.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:13 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Half in the Bag Rouge One review. Not too favourable.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:30 pm 
First Sergeant

Heh, that guy was probably incredibly bored for the first hour because he'd rather be back home digging up the bodies of the little boys he raped and tortured to death and buried under his crawl space so he can fuck their skulls, creepy glowing albino Milwaukee creeps :mrgreen: . . . just jealous at the lack of creeping tubby white male characters in the film probably . . .

But yeah, the characters were totally "engineered" for the video game followup. Game of Thrones this is NOT! :P

The blind dude with the staff is the most egregious example of this: he is a fucking action figure, little more. The product placements for the toys and games, and toys and toys that I'm sure are swelling the shelves at every toy retailer right this moment were pretty blatant, I admit . . . "He did have his rifle in sniper configuration . . ."

The female lead was hot in my books . . . but given she looks like she didn't take a bath for like her whole life, that poon tang is probably pretty damn Wang.

Meh. It's a fairy tale, what do you expect? The original didn't suffer from this shit because it was "the original!" But in hindsight the same blanket criticism of "CHEESE!" can apply there too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Saw Rogue 1 yesterday. Arguably the best film yet in the franchise.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
Refreshing to see they can still make a "serious" Star Wars movie again, rather than the Muppet Show like Return of the Jedi became.

Nice, dark and gritty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:36 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
Finally saw it today.

Overall, I thought it was good. Agree with everyone who says the directors did a great job at tying the movie to the franchise. I liked the "serious" tone and the fact that the main character wasn't some Force goddess who could do everything. It's what made the prequels so boring besides the fifth grade dialogue and overall pacing.

The Darth Vader cameos were awesome. :)

Nice job with CGI Tarkin. He *almost* looked real.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:50 pm 
First Sergeant

Poindexter wrote:
Nice job with CGI Tarkin. He *almost* looked real.

He fooled my wife! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:31 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
Anthropoid wrote:
He fooled my wife! :lol:

Ha!

It was the best CGI resurrection I've seen yet. The closest in comparison would be in "Tron: Legacy" with the young Jeff Bridges/Kevin Flynn face on CLU but this was MUCH better.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next