maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
 Post subject: Re: (A) Game of Thrones Books & TV (2011-) Attn.: Spoilers!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16468
So where the fuck did the white walkers get the huge battleship sized dragon retrieval chains?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15927
Yeah, that was more than a small plot hole.

Also, wtf was the point of Cersei walking back to the confab to announce that her army would fight alongside the rest against the white walkers if only an hour or two later she intended to reneg? What does that accomplish? Was it just to get the dragons out of the dragon pit?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
doggie wrote:
So where the fuck did the white walkers get the huge battleship sized dragon retrieval chains?

The real question is how the fuck did they swim down to attach the chains when they were shit scared of water?

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
Wife and I have made it through Seasons 1 through 4. Pretty good stuff overall! Definitely some epic good stuff in places.

Actually did not see that Red Wedding scene coming and that was just about the most visceral reaction to a cinema moment I can recall. Sheeze, talk about yanking the rug out from under the viewer! :)

Season one was exceptional, only limited by the fact that so much of the basic foundations of the imaginary world were being established. Season two was the best I've seen so far. Season three very good, but with increasing hints of "loosening" and "meandering" in the narrative; seemingly more time spent "filling in" screen time than addressing narrative critical stuff. Season four, increasingly mixed. Some stuff, very good, a few things exceptional, but increasingly more and more stuff repetitive, and "fluffy." I find the whole "Night Watch" thing to be pretty fucking stupid overall, though mainly just because of its specifics and the "cheap" dramatic mechanisms used in relation to the threat in the north narrative.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:36 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Anthropoid wrote:
Actually did not see that Red Wedding scene coming and that was just about the most visceral reaction to a cinema moment I can recall. Sheeze, talk about yanking the rug out from under the viewer! :)

Those of us who had read the books beforehand were secretly looking forward to that moment in the show. When we could watch the faces of those who didn't see it coming.

It still makes me smile. All those YouTube reaction videos people in the know took of their unsuspecting friends was a joy to watch.

I really enjoy books & film in which you can't see something coming beforehand. Been so jaded with movies & such for a long time because most of them are so fucking formulaic & play it safe these days. i.e. predictable. :x I'm one of those people who often predicts where the plot is going only a short way in. It's annoying.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

Those of us who had read the books beforehand were secretly looking forward to that moment in the show. When we could watch the faces of those who didn't see it coming.

It still makes me smile. All those YouTube reaction videos people in the know took of their unsuspecting friends was a joy to watch.

I really enjoy books & film in which you can't see something coming beforehand. Been so jaded with movies & such for a long time because most of them are so fucking formulaic & play it safe these days. i.e. predictable. :x I'm one of those people who often predicts where the plot is going only a short way in. It's annoying.

I also find much fiction to be distastefully predictable; course it can be fun to predict when something IS going to happen, from time to time. The poison lipstick that took out Myrcella, for example. As soon as I saw that I said to my wife "Slow acting poison. She'll be dead in two scenes." :mrgreen:

Need to get hold of at least number one of Martin's series and check out his narrative style. It has been too long since I've read above average fiction, and I get the impression that this series really is.

On a separate note: I have allowed myself to partake in some "reaction videos" and parodies, meme-compilations that included Game of Thrones over the years. So I had a general sense for the events, but nothing very specific. Even despite skimming over this thread; it is surprising how much of it was still fresh on first viewing . . . maybe it is just age-related dementiat!? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:45 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Anthropoid wrote:
Need to get hold of at least number one of Martin's series and check out his narrative style. It has been too long since I've read above average fiction, and I get the impression that this series really is.

I'd recommend getting at least the first two. Probably three. It's a lot of reading but they always went quickly for me.

When reading the books, it's much easier to remember all the secondary & tertiary characters since they're given more spotlight than the tv series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:03 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Jon Snow will wind up being the King I bet.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67