All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Killjoys (SyFy 2015-)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:27 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
http://www.imdb.org/title/tt3952222/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This is the 2nd decade of the 21st century version of Science Fiction cheese and it's a funny little show, not too serious. It's made in the Canadian cheap TV mill and the low budget shows at times. First season finished, 2nd apparently ordered to broadcast later this year.

I do not really dislike it but don't really like it either. Three bountyhunters, two brothers and a young woman, at least two of them with a mysterious and dangerous past, fly around a distant solar system and execute warrants.

The plots are meh, the acting is meh.

My biggest gripe is that the actors do not look the parts and do not behave the part as well. For somebody with supadupa training and experience they make an awful lot of bad tactical decisions. From unwittingly pointing guns at each other while moving to stopping and standing around during a mission to hash out some personal drama. The two guys look like Ken dolls and not like ex military hardened law enforcers. The girl simpy looks like a pop singer. And for all the drumming up her hotness the show is doing she is not really that hot. More like a 7, which is btw the show's fitting rating on imdb.

And I'm also getting tired of 50kg females beating up dozens of men. Speaking of tropes: one main character of course has an English accent and the girl is mixed-race black and white, or a very light black, which they apparently all are in show like these nowadays. The also manage to include MMA in the pilot which apparently is still popular several hundred years from now. :roll:

Dialogue is also nothing to write home about. Show tries to be witty but isn't overly much.

As said, no hate, but there is better use for your time (like reading a book) unless you are disabled, unemployed or in prison. It is like that Plain Jane next door, nice but not quite cutting it.

This is probably the best scene Killjoys will ever deliver:

I know, but big girls need love too.

Post subject: Re: Killjoys (SyFy 2015-)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:53 am 
Sergeant

Been renewed and 2nd season is already running with ep 03 boradcasting this Friday.

Still meh. A completely cliché gay character annoys me. Apparently didn't get more budget for the renewal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:20 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Thought the first season was watchable, although rather bland and unoriginal at times.

Not really much in the way of futuristic sci-fi series that doesn't absolutely disgust me at first sight, though. So I'll watch. I enjoyed Dark Matter more, which was showing at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:09 am 
Sergeant

Yep, they went les. Who doesn't these days. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:22 pm 
Hair in the soap

reinald wrote:
Yep, they went les. Who doesn't these days. :roll:

We're all lesbians. Trapped in men's bodies.

:P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:44 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
IMO it´s much better than Dark Matter. Just watch S2E1 and think Shadowrun/Cyberpunk characters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:58 pm 
Hair in the soap

Scharfschütze wrote:
IMO it´s much better than Dark Matter. Just watch S2E1 and think Shadowrun/Cyberpunk characters.

Well.. if they start going more cyberpunk style, then I'm not going to complain. The first season wasn't bad, I just thought some of the melodrama was a bit too forced.

The same can be said for Dark Matter, but at least it had some interesting mystery angles in the plot despite the long-ago overused amnesia beginning. Also enjoyed the characters in Dark Matter better, for doing the anti-hero thing by being distrustful and selfish more often.

I watched both, of course. Gotta grab all the decent sci-fi you can because the big fancy flicks are few & far between due to the genre requiring such high budgets and the turnout always being in question for new IPs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 pm 
Hair in the soap

Saw an advert saying a new season of Killjoys was starting in the next month or two. Or some such.

Also mentioned that the second season is now On Demand & online. I missed most of the 2nd season so figured I'd check the On Demand. Not there at all. :x

Reminds me - I need to ditch the cable sub again ASAP. Think I can get local channels via the 'net now for football season. So fuck 'em. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
reinald wrote:
http://www.imdb.org/title/tt3952222/?ref_=nv_sr_1
The girl simpy looks like a pop singer. And for all the drumming up her hotness the show is doing she is not really that hot. More like a 7, which is btw the show's fitting rating on imdb.

And I'm also getting tired of 50kg females beating up dozens of men. Speaking of tropes: one main character of course has an English accent and the girl is mixed-race black and white, or a very light black, which they apparently all are in show like these nowadays. The also manage to include MMA in the pilot which apparently is still popular several hundred years from now. :roll:

As said, no hate, but there is better use for your time (like reading a book) unless you are disabled, unemployed or in prison. It is like that Plain Jane next door, nice but not quite cutting it.

Some nice dick-sucking lips though!

BTW, what is "MMA?" :P

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8907
MMA=Mixed Martial Arts

Have only seen it in the movies

A bit like Muey Thai

Profile E-mail