maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: So you want to make money ... go Christian.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 11853
Heaven Is for Real (2014)

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1929263/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3
Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling book of the same name, HEAVEN IS FOR REAL brings to the screen the true story of a small-town father who must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. The film stars Academy Award® nominee and Emmy® award winning actor Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo and co-stars Kelly Reilly as Sonja Burpo, the real-life couple whose son Colton (newcomer Connor Corum) claims to have visited Heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth ... things he couldn't possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event. Written by Sony Pictures Publicity
So so movie, that cost 12 mil and took in 96 Mill so far, not a bad return IMHO.

And this seems to be the case for most Christian movies:
Quote:
God's Not Dead' and How Christian Films Are Kind of Like Horror Movies
11:30AM EDT 4/24/2014 Darren Wilson
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/436 ... ror-movies

Next
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_PFQCe67-o#t=58[/youtube]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: So you want to make money ... go Christian.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 am 
buck private

Here we go again, another Christian movie, expect it'll make money, maybe big money with Hannity behind it;

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14595
I'm not a Christian, but I've got nothing inherently against the religion. As "RELIGIONS" go it is--in the broad span of history--one of the light offenders. Moreover, in "modern" history it is increasingly receptive to the humanist, secular reforms which it quite literally spawned, so . . . on the whole, the religion strikes me as tolerable even benign and for its adherents, generally beneficient. I wouldn't be surprised if 65% of American residents consider themselves to be "Christian" to one degree or another (probably up in recent years given the influx of Latin Americans! :mrgreen: ), and in fact, 20 to 30% of the other "I'm not Christian" folks probably embody worldviews which are of Christian derivation.

So I've got nothing against Christianity and find it to be tolerable, even quaint and nostalgic at this point.

Now when it comes to Christian ETHOS (or philosophy more technically), the story is completely different.

I'd say that Christian ethos is, at this stage in history, the skeleton that comprises at least 75% of what we think of as "Civilization." America, as a social and political entity is an almost entirely Christian ethos society, though that means that it is also remarkably tolerant and inclusive of a range of worldviews. Our laws, our social norms, our standards of behavior, most or all of our goals, even much of our aesthetics and sensibilities: it all is most readily explicable as evolutions of Christianity and with very little input from any other major world religion.

The fantasy of the post-modernist, cultural relativist to a fault modern movements that have infested "the left" and much of contemporary social sciences that "secularism" is anything except a child of Christianity (though a child who is now an adult and needs to be respected for being different and standing on its own two feet) is one of the greatest delusions in human history.

Most people are children in adult bodies and the fairy tales of the Old Testament, and of Jesus of Nazareth are great yarns that understandable appeal to a wide spectrum of folks. I absolutely cannot accept that any of the specifics of these fairy tales are literal "messages from the divine" and should be taken as literal guides for living. But as parables, Christian fairy tales are as edifying, socially salutary and helpful as most. I'd say Buddhism is a bit better for those who can swallow it, but then the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 am 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
I'm not a Christian, but I've got nothing inherently against the religion. As "RELIGIONS" go it is--in the broad span of history--one of the light offenders. Moreover, in "modern" history it is increasingly receptive to the humanist, secular reforms which it quite literally spawned, so . . . on the whole, the religion strikes me as tolerable even benign and for its adherents, generally beneficient. I wouldn't be surprised if 65% of American residents consider themselves to be "Christian" to one degree or another (probably up in recent years given the influx of Latin Americans! :mrgreen: ), and in fact, 20 to 30% of the other "I'm not Christian" folks probably embody worldviews which are of Christian derivation.

So I've got nothing against Christianity and find it to be tolerable, even quaint and nostalgic at this point.

Now when it comes to Christian ETHOS (or philosophy more technically), the story is completely different.

I'd say that Christian ethos is, at this stage in history, the skeleton that comprises at least 75% of what we think of as "Civilization." America, as a social and political entity is an almost entirely Christian ethos society, though that means that it is also remarkably tolerant and inclusive of a range of worldviews. Our laws, our social norms, our standards of behavior, most or all of our goals, even much of our aesthetics and sensibilities: it all is most readily explicable as evolutions of Christianity and with very little input from any other major world religion.

The fantasy of the post-modernist, cultural relativist to a fault modern movements that have infested "the left" and much of contemporary social sciences that "secularism" is anything except a child of Christianity (though a child who is now an adult and needs to be respected for being different and standing on its own two feet) is one of the greatest delusions in human history.

Most people are children in adult bodies and the fairy tales of the Old Testament, and of Jesus of Nazareth are great yarns that understandable appeal to a wide spectrum of folks. I absolutely cannot accept that any of the specifics of these fairy tales are literal "messages from the divine" and should be taken as literal guides for living. But as parables, Christian fairy tales are as edifying, socially salutary and helpful as most. I'd say Buddhism is a bit better for those who can swallow it, but then the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
This is not the right forum for this, but since you brought it up Catholics don't see the Bible in a literal sense

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14595
Will have to come back and watch that when I'm not in a rush :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm 
buck private

Re: So you want to make money ... go Christian.

A movie that is a sure fire money maker is "A Wrinkle in Time", the book's got everything including Christianity, which happens to be the largest religious denomination in the world, mothers and fathers of the little kiddies are happy to see their kiddies reading a Christian themed book and pastors sing it's praises on Sundays.

So why's it a flop:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle ... (2018_film)
Budget $100 million[2][3]
Box office $45.7 million[4]
Maybe because:
Quote:
Disney’s ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Erases Book’s Bible Quotes, Cuts Jesus, Christian Figures From History
By Tyler O'Neil March 8, 2018
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/faith/disneys-wrink ... s-history/
So the hordes of evangelical parents won't take the kiddies to see it, and the pastors ... even worse.

It may be too early to sound the death knoll, it could turn around and make big bucks, but I doubt it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:36 pm 
buck private

Quote:
Faith-Based Films at Cannes: Is the Fest Having Its "Come to Jesus" Moment?

9:30 PM PDT 5/8/2018 by Tatiana Siegel

Courtesy of Cannes Film Festival
Wenders (left) is screening his Pope Francis doc 'A Man of HIs Word' out of competition in Cannes.
After years of being virtually ignored by the market, Christian-themed hits are converting international dealmakers into true believers (even in China).

Have the French found God?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... nt-1109876

Profile E-mail