maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: History on the History Channel (Vikings (TV 2013 -) et a
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
reinald wrote:
You jinxed it. S04 is continuing with a dud. Some dudes all shag the same maid, Lagertha is a Lesbian. That's seriously the plot of the first ep after the hiatus. :x

r
Hope you are wrong, but just as a point of interest: Lagertha is based on a real person in Norse history and was unofficially reputed to have a fondness for the females.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:12 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 1143
Many of the characters are based on historical people (Ragnar, Lagertha, Floki, Bjorn), but some never met each other and their traits are quite exaggerated. I do like the way certain cultural traditions are portrayed, ie intermarriage, multiple children from different wives, forms of tribal 'justice', craftsmanship, comradery, etc/

However, many in the Germanic/Norse pagan community here in America find it to be amusing entertainment, not a historical record. or an accurate reconstruction of events.Keep watching Ivar...he's the focus of future episodes. The fate of Ragnar's other sons will be interesting as well.

As for Rollo, he's knee deep in royal French pussy and living it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12621
Overmann wrote:
Many of the characters are based on historical people (Ragnar, Lagertha, Floki, Bjorn), but some never met each other and their traits are quite exaggerated. I do like the way certain cultural traditions are portrayed, ie intermarriage, multiple children from different wives, forms of tribal 'justice', craftsmanship, comradery, etc/

However, many in the Germanic/Norse pagan community here in America find it to be amusing entertainment, not a historical record. or an accurate reconstruction of events.Keep watching Ivar...he's the focus of future episodes. The fate of Ragnar's other sons will be interesting as well.

As for Rollo, he's knee deep in royal French pussy and living it up.

Well.. they seem to be portraying Rollo as the founder of the Norman duchy, from what I gathered. Although the original 'viking' who took that title came from the occupied Scottish isles later on, and wasn't related to Ragnar. IIRC.

With all their pseudo-historical mish mash, I can understand why they wanted to include the beginning of the Normans with everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2687
HancockTheSuperb wrote:
Hope you are wrong, but just as a point of interest: Lagertha is based on a real person in Norse history and was unofficially reputed to have a fondness for the females.......

I did not know that. I always thought primitive societies and pre-modern literate cultures pretty much ignored female homosexuality and hence made it invisible for us.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:34 pm 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
I thought the writing started wallowing in the previous season, or the end of the one before.

Was bound to happen at some point.

Yea, given the source material I think that's incompetent of them. There could be so much cool.

The siege of Paris was awesome though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 pm 
Corporal

reinald wrote:
HancockTheSuperb wrote:

I did not know that. I always thought primitive societies and pre-modern literate cultures pretty much ignored female homosexuality and hence made it invisible for us.

Agreed. I was addressing more the show introducing historical figures (as best as historians have been able to document). To add more along that line, Ragnar Lodbruk and Rollo (aka Rollon) are also based on historical figures. Ragnar was supposedly a great warrior with the philosophy of far range raiding which led to his making the initial aggressive moves on Paris. Rollo was supposedly the first ruler of the principality Normandy (old Norse "Nordmannia" meaning Northman's Land) as per agreement with the king of Francia at the time. And that arrangement was a result of Charles indeed "recruiting" Danes to protect the strategic rivers that allowed access to major trade centers in the interior of Francia.

Below is a statue of Rollo(n) dedicated in Rouen in the 1800's, so he must have had some impact on the local populace. So, while the show takes some liberties with chronology and relationships (Ragnar and Rollo in reality not related ), it does get across the life styles, the religious impacts, and actual events that occurred during the era. For example, the attack and defense of Paris highlights the actual strategies utilized during numerous attempts over many years. Any way to teach history and get people engaged to learn more, the better with me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm 
Sergeant

S04 finale. Hmm. I was a bit irked by the melee battle scene. What would the scholars of medieval history among you say? Both sides from their background stories are supposed to be reasonably trained. Wouldn't they stick to a shield wall? Especially when during the manouvering in the episode before they did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:59 pm 
Corporal

reinald wrote:
S04 finale. Hmm. I was a bit irked by the melee battle scene. What would the scholars of medieval history among you say? Both sides from their background stories are supposed to be reasonably trained. Wouldn't they stick to a shield wall? Especially when during the manouvering in the episode before they did.

The Norse were apparently very clever warriors as well as tough line-it-up shield wall types. Tactics evolved as weaponry and capabilities evolved (archers, crossbows and horse) Many sources point out the following with italicized related to your comments (example pulled from Northeast Archeological Resources' Vikings Military Tactics and Fortifications):

"On the land was where the Vikings would rather stage a pitched land battle and here the general practice was to have the force split into three groups, consisting of the center and the wings or flanks. A chief or leader would usually have a shield fort around him, a close group of men whose job was defense not offense, it was considered a great honor to be chosen for this duty and failure to protect the leader was a great dishonor. Close to the leader was the standard bearer, usually a man of great strength and courage for the enemy's attack were centered on him.......There were various strategies and formations that the Vikings employed and executed in battle. They consisted of feigned flights, ambushes', encirclements, and 'tricking the enemy into believing that there were more men then there actually were. The Viking armies as very inventive and mobile, excelling in sudden attacks and in the quick erection of fortified camps and field fortifications of wood and earth."

Other evolutions of tactics included horses, though not sure about the chariot in the show for Ivar The Boneless..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:01 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12621
I enjoyed The Last Kingdom more than Vikings. Although there's only been one season thus far (second on it's way).

While neither are great representations of history, The Last Kingdom isn't quite as far off the charts. We'll see if it gets increasingly Hollyweirded, like Vikings has, as more seasons come.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9423
Amazon Prime has _Vikings_ and I started watching them. Pretty actually. Maybe nearly as good as Rome (that HBO series from a few years back) and the Tudors (similar).

One thing I found surprising, as I had just never heard of it being practiced in Pagan Norse cultures: a dude inviting his dude buddy to bed down with him and the wife. They've referred to it twice already in four episodes, actually three if you count the one entrapment example.

1. Haraldson suggests to his henchman that it is cool for him to fuck his wife, Siggy I think it is. She leads him on, but then punches him silly and they take him out and carve him up for the pigs. They make it out to be "And now I know who I can trust . . ." but it also manages to convey that these folks do not exactly share our Judeo-Christian notions of monogamy and could easily have been interpreted as "heathens."

2. An Episode or two later, Ragnar invites the captured slave "Athelson" to join him and his wife. In that one they come across as drunk and somewhat teasing but also seem serious about inviting the guy to help them make a sandwich.

3. Frolki invites one of the other Ragnar loyalists to join him and Helga when he comes to visit them at Frolkis farm after Ragnar is wounded.

Is this for real or just some elaboration / revisionist history?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next