maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: History on the History Channel (Vikings (TV 2013 -) et a
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:21 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12812
Well.. some have long believed that they explored as far west as the Great Lakes, via the St Lawrence River route, or even further to the Mississippi or Missouri Rivers from there. The little supporting physical evidence is very questionable stuff, though.

While the coastline expansion is obvious, and would be far easier, the big question is how far inland they may have gone. I'd think they probably wouldn't go too far from interconnected bodies of water due to supply reasons and an ever-increasing chance of being attacked by natives the further they ventured.

The life span of the small outpost at Lans'eau Meadows was also very short IIRC, so unless there were others established on the coast, their explorations only happened in that span of time where they had a base of operations to return to. If they found a new outpost, then the big question is how long it lasted. Was it concurrent with Lans'eau or a replacement outpost?

On top of all this, there are the ancient tales about the Welsh & Irish also having visited NA earlier than that, although there's no hard evidence.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:53 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3519
Given that one of their principle motives was finding riches to plunder or perhaps trade, I imagine North America was a huge disappointment. A crew of a long ship was not primarily interested in settlements, and a voyage of that length without significant "enrichment" would have been a serious morale problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 pm 
Hair in the soap

Gump wrote:
Given that one of their principle motives was finding riches to plunder or perhaps trade, I imagine North America was a huge disappointment. A crew of a long ship was not primarily interested in settlements, and a voyage of that length without significant "enrichment" would have been a serious morale problem.

The Sagas say they briefly traded with some natives. But I doubt they found much value in trade with a stone age society.

Also - the natives inevitably started attacking them. The most likely reason they didn't stick around for too long, there already being a bunch of people there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13998
Gump wrote:

The principal motive for many Vikings may have been plunder, but I don't believe that was the case for all Vikings.
Given the distance from "plunder worthy" targets, could one say that the Viking settlements in Iceland and particularly Greenland were positioned for plundering? And the same could probably be said for trading opportunities for the Icelandic and Greenland settlements.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:33 pm 
Hair in the soap

chijohnaok wrote:
Gump wrote:

The principal motive for many Vikings may have been plunder, but I don't believe that was the case for all Vikings.
Given the distance from "plunder worthy" targets, could one say that the Viking settlements in Iceland and particularly Greenland were positioned for plundering? And the same could probably be said for trading opportunities for the Icelandic and Greenland settlements.

I was led to believe that the few who went to Greenland were often the banished and outcast types, along with some financially desperate perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13998
A rather long piece on the possible fate of the Vikings in Greenland:

The Fate of Greenland's Vikings

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532
Don't know if anybody has posted this, but here goes:
Quote:
The Vikings: At Least It’s Not Aliens on the History Channel
Friday
Nov 2014
Posted by aelarsen in History
https://aelarsen.wordpress.com/2014/11/ ... y-channel/
In 2013, the History Channel debuted a Canadian-Irish tv series, The Vikings, starring Travis Fimmel at Ragnar Lothbrok and Katheryn Winnick as his wife Lagertha. While the series has some problems, it’s a significant step up from the History Channel’s traditional “ancient buildings were produced by aliens” programming. There’s both good and bad things to say about the series, and there’s enough that I plan to do several posts about it.
(Continue)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:03 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
Who....wants.....to be King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love where this is going..........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:10 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
You jinxed it. S04 is continuing with a dud. Some dudes all shag the same maid, Lagertha is a Lesbian. That's seriously the plot of the first ep after the hiatus. :x

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Hair in the soap

reinald wrote:
You jinxed it. S04 is continuing with a dud. Some dudes all shag the same maid, Lagertha is a Lesbian. That's seriously the plot of the first ep after the hiatus. :x

I thought the writing started wallowing in the previous season, or the end of the one before.

Was bound to happen at some point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next