maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:54 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:43 am
Posts: 2744
Reputation points: 2562
nelmsm wrote:
I still shake my head at the lack of any kind of tactical sense amongst these people. Didn't they have one surviving Army/Marine veteran? Hasn't any of them played a wargame or read a military history or military biography. I've not served but I'm pretty sure I would have had enough sense to say "hey, maybe we shouldn't all bunch up here until we've cleared those buildings right there just in case someone has a machine gun there"! They all walk along together like they are going to need to form a line with their muskets to try and win the day instead of spreading out a bit to avoid all being taken down by automatic fire.


This has been one of my biggest gripes with this show. They got a multimillion dollar budget and can't hire expert defense consulting to help writers and directors out?

_________________
"The seevens maehn... he wasn't wearing a vac suit!"

I know, but big girls need love too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:54 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:43 am
Posts: 2744
Reputation points: 2562
Kameolontti wrote:
And a note on police tactics:
A dangerous insane murderer takes a hostage, tells all the police to drop their weapons "or the hostage gets it".
Standard procedure is of course that all the police throw their weapons at the murderer's feet and back away, handcuffing themselves to railings. Because this way the insane murderer will save the hostage, right? Because by removing the threat of reprisal is the best way to save the most lives, according to Hollywood. "The right thing to do".


Yea, makes me facepalm too how easily police give up their guns in movies and on TV.

_________________
"The seevens maehn... he wasn't wearing a vac suit!"

I know, but big girls need love too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:15 pm 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7394
Reputation points: 15171
reinald wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:
And a note on police tactics:
A dangerous insane murderer takes a hostage, tells all the police to drop their weapons "or the hostage gets it".
Standard procedure is of course that all the police throw their weapons at the murderer's feet and back away, handcuffing themselves to railings. Because this way the insane murderer will save the hostage, right? Because by removing the threat of reprisal is the best way to save the most lives, according to Hollywood. "The right thing to do".


Yea, makes me facepalm too how easily police give up their guns in movies and on TV.


President hands over the 'football' because Kim has an American hostage.

"It was the moral thing to do"

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7394
Reputation points: 15171
reinald wrote:
nelmsm wrote:
I still shake my head at the lack of any kind of tactical sense amongst these people. Didn't they have one surviving Army/Marine veteran? Hasn't any of them played a wargame or read a military history or military biography. I've not served but I'm pretty sure I would have had enough sense to say "hey, maybe we shouldn't all bunch up here until we've cleared those buildings right there just in case someone has a machine gun there"! They all walk along together like they are going to need to form a line with their muskets to try and win the day instead of spreading out a bit to avoid all being taken down by automatic fire.


This has been one of my biggest gripes with this show. They got a multimillion dollar budget and can't hire expert defense consulting to help writers and directors out?


They did, right there.

"Big guns, the baddest mothafucka around. The ma deuce!"

Which made me gringe and facepalm even more. Sure.. the M2.. right.. that's a fucking killer.

At the very least it could've been a grenade machine gun or something - I mean, if all military vehicles, mortars and everything that is good and right is banned and it absolutely must be 100% infantry weapon, then at the very least it could be this. I mean, against people who view infantry tactics as marching through open field in goofball and emptying half the clip on full auto at some car for the sparks - the ability to actually spit grenades would give you quite the tactical advantage, especially since no one ever uses snipers, spotters or anything that would make sense in the given setting.

If they're all gonna walk up to you bunched up, firing a burst of grenades would do the trick. As opposed to a machine gun suddenly outperforming every last marksman rifle, machine gun and such that we've seen so far as it is now suddenly able to kill a whole bunch of people in an instant without any of them even at the edges being able to run for cover, hit the deck or return fire.

I'm sure there's a leftists civvie somewhere out there who thinks that he's learning a shit ton of tactics from this show.

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm
Posts: 15342
Location: under the porch
Reputation points: 14517
I'm sure most of you already know a light machine gun is a more effective anti personnel weapon than a fifty caliber machine gun. The .50 is intended for use against hard targets such as vehicles.

_________________
First, we must kill moose and squirrel


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm 
Offline
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 9779
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 11253
I remember watching the series with my wife during a binge watch period years ago. I forget if it was episode 3 or 6 or what, but it was in that ballpark. The nature of the zombie apocalypse had made itself abundantly clear to the protagonists and the viewer.

The group at that point included the old guy, the deputy sheriff "main character" guy and several women and a couple younglings. They had found a temporary refuge outside the Atlanta city limits at the edge of some woods and a relatively large open field. There was a scene where one of the men who was clearly pretty PTSD-fried started digging kind of randomly and I commented that maybe he was starting to build a palisade. I mean come on, does it take a fucking military genius to realize: if you are in the zombie apocalypse the FIRST thing you want is an enclosure that keeps them OUT.

But no, that was not what the show was on about. He was just cracking up and perhaps half thinking of burying some of the recently deceased whom everyone feared was going to rise and eat brains in the not too distant future . . . The show has at least been consistent in that regard: portraying the characters as being largely incompetent at surviving and preparing defensively or offensively.

_________________
Nero: So what is your challenge?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7394
Reputation points: 15171
Anthropoid wrote:
I remember watching the series with my wife during a binge watch period years ago. I forget if it was episode 3 or 6 or what, but it was in that ballpark. The nature of the zombie apocalypse had made itself abundantly clear to the protagonists and the viewer.

The group at that point included the old guy, the deputy sheriff "main character" guy and several women and a couple younglings. They had found a temporary refuge outside the Atlanta city limits at the edge of some woods and a relatively large open field. There was a scene where one of the men who was clearly pretty PTSD-fried started digging kind of randomly and I commented that maybe he was starting to build a palisade. I mean come on, does it take a fucking military genius to realize: if you are in the zombie apocalypse the FIRST thing you want is an enclosure that keeps them OUT.

But no, that was not what the show was on about. He was just cracking up and perhaps half thinking of burying some of the recently deceased whom everyone feared was going to rise and eat brains in the not too distant future . . . The show has at least been consistent in that regard: portraying the characters as being largely incompetent at surviving and preparing defensively or offensively.


I trained with the recons you know.

When we were first introduced to the recons we almost literally bumped into them and they weren't actively trying to hide but were preparing claymores and pipe bombs.

What was their primary occupation? To be able to remain unseen while being actively chased by superior numbers of well trained modern infantry and vehicles.

They demonstrated this, they had a squad that was giving away their current position every even hour. They were chased by a military police battalion of conscripts being trained for anti-special forces operations. They kept chasing them the entire weekend without ever spotting a single one of the recons.

That's more to say about the skills and capabilities of the recons than the skills of military police trainees. During war maneuvers the recons had an old tradition of sneaking past enemy sentries into their camp and stealing something as big as possible, such as the wood burner from a tent or so. Unseen.

It continues to baffle me at how bad the protagonists are at simply evading the zombies - or raiders for that matter. They literally walk all bunched up wearing orange attention vests, sporting bright lights and blasting with their ghetto blasters.

I wasn't a recon and we would still worry about stuff like lighting a cigarette when it started to get dark - or about the noticeable mist when you breathed out while on sentry duty that could give you away. About stuff such as the squad being able to pull the actions when alerted without the loud noise that comes from actions as that could alert the attacker to that the alert has been given.

From what I've watched The Walking Dead the idea of a sentry is essentially a human version of a light house, standing there trying to get noticed before he can notice anyone.

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline
First Sergeant

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Posts: 9359
Reputation points: 14823
doggie wrote:
The .50 is intended for use against hard targets such as vehicles.


She'll shoot through brick houses, armor, and ppl. A multi-purpose weapon mounted on almost everything the US puts to battle to this day. so it goes


_________________
"Stay deplorable my friends"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm
Posts: 15342
Location: under the porch
Reputation points: 14517
A lot of shit happened in the season finale but nobody knows what because it was dark.

_________________
First, we must kill moose and squirrel


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV 2010- and comic book series)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline
Gunnery Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 5413
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 13926
doggie wrote:
A lot of shit happened in the season finale but nobody knows what because it was dark.

You are getting a great new muslim character...



Tbh I don't really care about her religion, I just don't get why she is so fat. They are several years into the apocalypse and have been scavenging for food for seasons now. How did she manage to remain such a fucking landwhale?

Attachment:
1513115091140.png
1513115091140.png [ 405.35 KiB | Viewed 74 times ]


Also spoilers.....



















The kid who plays Carl got totally fucked over by the showrunners.

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group