Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: Re: Jessica Jones (Marvel) Netflix
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3948
reinald wrote:
HancockTheSuperb wrote:
And this is a problem why? It's a comic book character. Get over it.

I don't get how this is supposed to be an argument.(?) Can comic book characters not be loaded with ideology, stupid and tropes?

Of course, but by that criteria, every fantasy TV show or movie is essentially horribly stupid and ideological- male or female centric alike as there are male roles that have no business taking on a rabbit much less gangs of Chicago. I'm the first to bitch when 5' 4" 98 pound women characters in supposedly realistic roles take on 15 baddies with weapons and essentially wreak havoc...a lot of examples of that. But IMHO, a comic book based character with super hero strength doesn't fit that mold.....particularly one who teams up with a 6' 5" 260 pound male with super powers, again a comic book based character. Generalizing that all women characters in fantasy shows/movies is "trope" is a bit over the top.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 19523
reinald was fine with 5'4 Sarah Michelle Geller kicking arse in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think he might have had a hard-on for her though... ;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:18 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2562
Yea, for S01 Buffy I did. Before SMG did that semi-famous-actress anorexia thing to herself. I'd also do Faith.

Anyhow, this was, as far as me noticing, the beginning of the trend. Nowadays it's ubiquitous, and that is what pisses me off. Especially when there's no supernatural rationalization involved.

Generally, popular culture is as confused as society about what it even means to be a woman anymore and is making it worse. Outguying the guys is hardly the answer. I would like to see more material where women are strong in a feminine way. Not action oriented shows often manage that well.

Speaking of Joss Whedon material: I liked the scene in Serenity where Inara is not content with standing idly by with both hands over her mouth in a shock gesture like in old timey movies and helps Mal fight their pursuer. And lacks the strength to affect much, which doesn't discourage her from charging in repeatedly.

For all the mess True Detective's S02 is (including their treatment of gender), I did like the female detective equalizing her physical inferiority with edged weapons and expressly stating so in dialogue.

I know, but big girls need love too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:00 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Mac wrote:
reinald was fine with 5'4 Sarah Michelle Geller kicking arse in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think he might have had a hard-on for her though... ;)

LOL

Reinald and Doggie's love of the Buffy show. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
Have enoyed every minute of JJones. Perfect blend of not so super superheroe and crime noir. Four headbangs out of four.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228

And what it's about

Can't get it here so the promos have to do.

So that's what it's about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:14 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
reinald wrote:
Horribly stupid girl power show. Apparently women set themselves free by becoming manlier than men as seen in every second TV show there is. :roll:

And if there's ever a guy helping the girl out then it's a black man, creating the Holy BBC duo.

I have a hard enough time knocking down smaller and less experienced Men when we practice. When there's a man standing in front of you and he's filled with adrenaline he is as the medieval masters wrote:

"To stand against your peer is frightening and takes courage"

When there's a Man in front of you, anything can happen.

But women? It's one in a hundred that can stand one's ground against a man. It's not even about me going against a guy weighing 20kg less and who is head and a half shorter than me - being a man he has a lower mass center and I cannot let my guard down for a blink of an eye.

When I visit clubs that are all "we have so and so many women here and so", when I go against them I feel like it's waste of my time most of the time, I am yawning and trying to pull my punches lest they'd get hurt and start crying about "oh these horrible macho guys came here with their alpha-male bullshit".

Oh, I'm sorry but it's called Martial Arts. It means that you don't get handicap for being a woman any more than you get for any other deficiency such as lack of strength, poor balance or so. Martial Arts is about exploiting the very weaknesses of your opponent.

Hollywood these days is all about 40kg chicks making throws on 100kg dudes that the 100kg dudes can't do to each other. It breaks the suspension of disbelief and is retarded.

The force imbalance is the exact reason why any woman should not only get tough through hard training - they should also be equipped with a blade that they know how to use. Otherwise they don't stand a chance even against a determined untrained average guy. It's just how it is by nature, there's a reason why none of the warrior cultures outside of Hollywood fielded female soldiers - they don't stand a chance in melee against similarly equipped men. They always need an advantage to level the playing field, such as maze AND a good blade they can use when facing an unarmed man.

Hell, I'd take a can of maze and a blade myself going against another man who's ready to stand his ground. Even among peers anything can happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
Dude. It's a "superhero" show. What part of it is supposed to be real? If a "she-hulk," enabled by a special formula of gamma radiation, spider venom, and estrogen, shows up, are you gonna complain that "girls can't DO that!!"?

OK. So... no spider man, no Captain America, no James Bond, no Femme Nikita, no Hollywood or Bollywood or Cannes ANYTHING because, man, NONE OF IT IS REAL.

Better Idea: Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Jessica Jones isn't best because she klcks a few asses as superheros do. It's best because it's good CRIME NOIR. It'd be just as good if she went around bushwacking the bad guys with a sap or gunning them down with a revolver.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 19523
Kameolontti wrote:
And if there's ever a guy helping the girl out then it's a black man, creating the Holy BBC duo.

In the case of Jessica Jones, the show is staying true to the source material. In the comics Jones hooks up with Luke Cage and eventually they get married and have a daughter. The Netflix shows have gone a different route though, for now at least.

1st season of JJ was a lot better than the 2nd. Season 2 starts out very slow and the lack of a real villian, while novel, was a let down after Killgrave in the first season.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3948
Agree with Mac and Diehl. Its a comic book character. Get over it. The wife and I love her character. Hope it continues.

Profile E-mail