It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post subject: The Ritual (Netflix)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16340
Great creepy monster flick. On Netflix right now. Enjoyed! 8-)

Was apparently a British theater release last year..?

Post subject: Re: The Ritual (Netflix)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 16145
I watched it to the end b/c it had creepy stuff and fucked up scenes that I tend to like. Held interest to the end that ain't bad.

I didn't rate it plus/minus b/c I didn't really understand wtf happened. I think Netflix might be taking long movies and turning im into 90 mins. B/c the story isn't really explained. For example:

"WELL THAT SETTLES THAT THEN"

No. It doesn't settle anything b/c the story is too edited. Gesh!

Didn't read Internet discussion spoilers b/c if I can't sort out things for myself I reckon I'm just too stupid and don't rate it.

Also watched the Netflix Cloverfield Paradox one w/ the german actor from inglorious basterts b/c I like sci fi stories and think that guy is a good acter and is usually in good movies.

Again watched the whole thing. Couldn't really make heads or tails of it but thought it was ok. Didn't vote, can't judge it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Ritual (Netflix)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16340
C_S wrote:
I watched it to the end b/c it had creepy stuff and fucked up scenes that I tend to like. Held interest to the end that ain't bad.

I didn't rate it plus/minus b/c I didn't really understand wtf happened. I think Netflix might be taking long movies and turning im into 90 mins. B/c the story isn't really explained. For example:

"WELL THAT SETTLES THAT THEN"

No. It doesn't settle anything b/c the story is too edited. Gesh!

Didn't read Internet discussion spoilers b/c if I can't sort out things for myself I reckon I'm just too stupid and don't rate it.

Also watched the Netflix Cloverfield Paradox one w/ the german actor from inglorious basterts b/c I like sci fi stories and think that guy is a good acter and is usually in good movies.

Again watched the whole thing. Couldn't really make heads or tails of it but thought it was ok. Didn't vote, can't judge it.

I couldn't finish Cloverfield Paradox. The writing was just too random and disjointed. Made it seem goofy more often than I'd like.

As for The Ritual, I didn't have much trouble understanding the things left unsaid. I like movies where you can fill in little mysterious details and questions on your own, but are given some hints or references pointing in a general direction.

Apparently a few reviewers didn't like the latter part, compared to the early bit. I guess they just wanted things to be left a complete mystery and unseen. *shrug* Everybody has a different preference for their horror movies, huh? :mrgreen: I liked the duality - the unseen spooky mystery shit, for much of the beginning, following by the awesome crazy reveals (that are still mysterious) near the end. 8-)

These days, with streaming and such, it's always a good sign when I can sit enthralled through a whole movie in one go. Too often I get "ho-hum" and only watch about 30-50 minutes a go and come back to it whenever.