Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: ‘The Eagle’: Good, Old-Fashioned Storytelling and Values
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14671
Anthropoid wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:
Why do people buy all sorts of watered down alcoholic drinks? Why don't they just drink 95% apothecary-grade stuff? It works at a much faster rate and sufficient amount requires very little space, unlike beer, for example.

And all of them cowboy movies? People shooting coins from 100+ yards distance with revolvers etc. and overall giving the impression that colonies suffered around 15% mortality rates annually from gun related murders and that all the women were prostitutes.
Oh, and all of the good folks always help out the slaves and no one ever hates slaves (afr.am.)!

Etc etc.

And why do those bullets always cast sparks in movies?

Why are infantry squads in movies always packed up within 2 meter diameter? They should have 5 meter gaps if at all possible, spreading their squad to ~50 meter wide line. Usually we see platoon sized units within a diameter of 5-15 meters.
And they never take cover and they constantly raise their heads and keep looking at the enemy lines.

They fire covering fire at the wrong time.

They fire away all of their ammunition in about 2-3 minutes.

This is why I prefer shooters. If I'm gonna be engrossed in unrealistic dramatization of violence, I want it to be me interacting on a screen with it.

Thanks for posting about The Eagle Abrad. Sounds like something I'll want to check out once it gets to Netflix.

Much like Sven, I only go to the cinema if I can be 95% certain that I'm not gonna feel like a schmuck for wasting my time and money on it. Even then I'm wrong and dissatisfied about 40% of the time. Take "Inception" for instance: yeah, entertaining movie, but it contradicted itself too much. All this focus on the technical details of the dream within dream crap, but I was halfway through it sick of how it repeatedly contradicted itself and was just passing it by the viewer as sleight of hand.

I used to see 95% of films played at cinemas when I still lived next to a big theater.

Nowadays I still watch 95% of bigger films out there (plus a whole lot of smaller ones), just at my 'home theater'. The only thing I miss is the lobby+sweet scent of greasy popcorn.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ‘The Eagle’: Good, Old-Fashioned Storytelling and Values
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:43 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9157
How accurate was it?

Profile E-mail