All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Made in China
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3433
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Federal and state watchdogs opened a new front Monday in the campaign to keep poisons out of Chinese imports, launching inquiries into high levels of cadmium in children's jewelry while Walmart pulled many suspect items from its store shelves.

A day after The Associated Press documented the contamination in an investigative report, the top U.S. consumer safety regulator warned Asian manufacturers not to substitute other toxins for lead in children's charm bracelets and pendants.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?g ... 25e21fea88

Geeze. Maybe they could make baby pacifiers with arsenic or something? Chinese industry has to be retarded. :roll:

Welcome to the Maddrive Dogthru!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Made in China
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:51 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
I'm not defending Chinese industry, but here's a reality check for those of you who will think how you're told to think:

There's plenty shit that has had Nickel Cadmium rechargeable batteries in them for years. Lead? Mercury? Most definitely. May as well take every electrical item you have and toss it out. Perhaps, once again, these fucking idiot parents should keep an eye on their kids instead of feeding them various metals.

This is your gov't "representatives" and wailing cunts using the same scare tactics you see on the 7 O' Clock news every night: "Are your children at risk?! Watch Suck News at 7 and find out just how many terrible things could happen with this plastic spatula!" I saw practically every remote control car, airplane, boat, etc. removed from the Shackhole shelves last year because some new law said they contained too much lead or mercury or whatever was cooked up that month. The exact same shit that has been in them for approximately 40 years.

Once again, Gary, I suggest you pull your head out of your ass and start reading between the lines. This is the Nanny State asserting yet more control over our lives.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 am 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
This is the Nanny State asserting yet more control over our lives.

Next time they pull pet food off the shelf because someone put rat poison in it I'll try to remember that it's just the "nanny state" asserting control over my life. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
I have seen several commercials over here where american companies advertise various products which 'meet the strict european health/safety regulations'.
Does that mean that americans eat and consume products that aren't good enough for us?
They sure imply so.

Strangely enough a lot of products do get called back once they've reached shops. Why then, why not before?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Hair in the soap

Gary Childress wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
This is the Nanny State asserting yet more control over our lives.

Next time they pull pet food off the shelf because someone put rat poison in it I'll try to remember that it's just the "nanny state" asserting control over my life. :roll:

Nowhere in your original post did I see rat poison mentioned. You wanna try throwing something else in while you're at it?

Typical. Ramp up the hysterics. Just what I was bitching about. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
I thought that the "nanny state" bomb was a prime example of ramped up hysteria.

The plain fact is that "caveat emptor" is a great way to handle consumer purchases of things like washing machines, where something fucked up in a really bad way won't kill you. In food, it's a stupid ideology. If the food can kill you, it's stupid to expect that you can know it unless you're running your own home chem lab to test everything.

In non-food products it's a grey zone. But, it'd be very bad for commerce if Chinese toxins in products could only be identified after enough people'd been poisoned, because there'd be no reason to trust ANY product and of course nightmarish for the families of the poisoned. Tainted Chinese shit, if it happens enough, could lead to a general reduction in commerce across the board, if the public perceives that anyone can put any nasty thing they want into a product without the public finding out about it until people start to sicken.

As to Chinese companies. They're not retards. They're malevolent. *Nothing* gets into the Chinese industrial process without state approval. If shit's being added to anything that causes harm, it's because the state wants it that way. I try to avoid purchasing ANYTHING made in China.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 254
High Fructose Corn Syrup can kill you. It contributes to obesity and diabetes as surely as tobacco contributes to lung cancer. Thanks to subsidies from Uncle Sugar it's in about 80% of all food products Americans buy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 pm 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:

Nowhere in your original post did I see rat poison mentioned. You wanna try throwing something else in while you're at it?

Typical. Ramp up the hysterics. Just what I was bitching about. :roll:

You never heard about whole thing that happened with pet food made in China a while back? :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm 
Hair in the soap

Gary Childress wrote:

You never heard about whole thing that happened with pet food made in China a while back? :?

Yes I did. A couple cases of tainted dog food and banning children's jewelry, and tons of toys are different cases. I saw an assload of radio controlled toys tossed out because of some congressman having the same overreaction you just did. There was nothing wrong with them. They were made of the exact same stuff that they had been for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54 pm 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:

Yes I did. A couple cases of tainted dog food and banning children's jewelry, and tons of toys are different cases. I saw an assload of radio controlled toys tossed out because of some congressman having the same overreaction you just did. There was nothing wrong with them. They were made of the exact same stuff that they had been for decades.

What over reaction? They're making kiddie toys out of toxic substances. Doesn't that concern you at all?

Profile E-mail