World War II

A den of assassins, where anarchists conspire to rule the world and other enlightened stuff

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
It's the Gulag of Fun
nero
Sergeant Major

Re: World War II

#71 Post by nero » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Something very different.

Finnish aces tell their stories, including Illu Juutilainen the Finnish top ace.

Note that the video has English subtitles.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Mac
First Sergeant

#72 Post by Mac » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Times Italy was actually good in WW2...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#73 Post by Anthropoid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:13 am

I got a question for you WWII buffs:

What is the chance that an F-Class destroyer and a Flower Class Corvette (both WWII era British ships) could have survived 2+ torpedoes from a 1941 vintage Type VII Uboat?

Bought UBOAT (Early Access game) many months ago and found it 'promising,' though now my opinion of it is turning sour, primarily because it appears they intend to keep the skeleton crew composition as a permanent design.

Had this happen last time I played it and it was pretty much the last straw:
Hit an F-Class Destroyer and a Flower-Class Corvette Each with Two Torps
(One to the rudder area and one to the rear third on the DD. Both near midships on the corvette (FS)) And both of them just kept cruising along at about 5 knots. Maybe some progressive list on the FS and less freeboard on the DD but both kept chugging at about 5 knots on the same trajectory. I then fired two more at the DD and two more at the FS. The DD went down and both missed the FS. Finally one more at the FS sank it too.

I'm a bit skeptical that either a 1900 ton destroyer or a ~900 ton corvette could resist two solid torpedo hits and just keep cruising along like nothing happened. I was under the impression most DDs of this time period had no more than about an inch of armor and limited compartmentalization. I'd think a single solid hit in the rudder would have knocked out all propulsion immediately and then sank it in a matter of minutes. The FS I would've thought it would've been pretty much ripped to shreds by a single torpedo.

So four hits to sink a 1900 ton DD and 3 to sink a 900 ton FS (and having expended a total of 5 at the FS with two misses). Expensive and rather unbelievable.

Is this Working as Intended? Am I off base to imagine either of these ship classes should go down after only one or at most two hits?

Zad Fnark
Corporal

#74 Post by Zad Fnark » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 am

No way with the corvette. DD most likely dead, too.

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#75 Post by chijohnaok » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:11 pm

Zad Fnark wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 am
No way with the corvette. DD most likely dead, too.
A DD might survive 4 torpedoes IF it were a US Navy sub firing some early war Mark 14 torpedo duds. ;-)
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#76 Post by chijohnaok » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Sort of WW 2 related:

Top Nazi Leader's Car - Extraordinary Barn Find

Video by Mark Felton Productions
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

mdiehl
Sergeant Major

#77 Post by mdiehl » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:12 pm

The only way I can see a DD or Corvette surviving two hits from a Type VII (meaning the torp is probably a GVII) is if the year is 1939. In the initial very early stages of the Battle of the Atlantic, the Kriegsmarine was using torpedoes armed with a magnetic exploder that routinely either failed to detonate or went off randomly after launch. The German success rate with those was about the same as the US success rate. Both relied on those as primary detonator mechanism. The Germans quickly sorted it out, however, and removed the proximity detonators; unlike US torps* the German contact exploders worked just fine.

*With the exception of the US Mark 10-12 designs, which had exploders that also worked just fine. The Mark 10 was used in the US S-class boats.
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane
"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits
'Our father, which art in heaven..' "May he fucking stay there." - Al Swearengen, Deadwood

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#78 Post by chijohnaok » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:04 pm

A new video from Mark Felton:

Rommel's British Panzers

nero
Sergeant Major

#79 Post by nero » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:05 pm

A grognard question.

A radio intercept: "Wo ist der Abt? Ist er noch im Kloster? ".

And what happened next, 76 years ago?

NATO and chijohn are banned. But are there any other takers?
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#80 Post by Anthropoid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm

mdiehl wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:12 pm
The only way I can see a DD or Corvette surviving two hits from a Type VII (meaning the torp is probably a GVII) is if the year is 1939. In the initial very early stages of the Battle of the Atlantic, the Kriegsmarine was using torpedoes armed with a magnetic exploder that routinely either failed to detonate or went off randomly after launch. The German success rate with those was about the same as the US success rate. Both relied on those as primary detonator mechanism. The Germans quickly sorted it out, however, and removed the proximity detonators; unlike US torps* the German contact exploders worked just fine.

*With the exception of the US Mark 10-12 designs, which had exploders that also worked just fine. The Mark 10 was used in the US S-class boats.
Yeah, that wouldn't explain it. This game starts round about the time of the "Happy Period," or at least it supposed to be. The krauts have La Rochelle bases operating when you first start the campaign, so it must be at least no earlier than summer 1940.

I think the devs are probably just in over their heads.