World War II

A den of assassins, where anarchists conspire to rule the world and other enlightened stuff

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
It's the Gulag of Fun
chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

Re: World War II

#61 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Anthropoid wrote:The war is long enough ago now that I bet it is an emerging golden age as far as gaining access to information which might not have been available in years past.

I think that the 'secrecy' period for most of the military stuff from the war has ended for most of the Allied countries.
I think most of what survived from the German side has also been looked over.

It's my understanding that for several years after the Soviet Union fell much of the archives was opened up to researchers, even western scholars, but I think that period of "glasnost" ended quite a while ago and access to some of that stuff in the Soviet/Russian archives is off limits again.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#62 Post by EUBanana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 pm

wulfir wrote:Poland started it, says Russia. Take note those of you who tend to follow the Russian narrative.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/ ... nub-a67108
A common lie during the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact era I think.
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

nero
Sergeant Major

#63 Post by nero » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:57 pm

chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:The war is long enough ago now that I bet it is an emerging golden age as far as gaining access to information which might not have been available in years past.

I think that the 'secrecy' period for most of the military stuff from the war has ended for most of the Allied countries.
I think most of what survived from the German side has also been looked over.

It's my understanding that for several years after the Soviet Union fell much of the archives was opened up to researchers, even western scholars, but I think that period of "glasnost" ended quite a while ago and access to some of that stuff in the Soviet/Russian archives is off limits again.
You are spot on on Russia. There was a window of opportunity for Western historians to access the Soviet archives after the collapse of the Soviet Union. But that data source is not open any more. This what Finnish historians say.

And now Russia has done a full 180 again, during Gorbachev time Soviets admitted that the Mainila shots that were the pretext of the Winter War was Soviet provocation. But just recently Moscow Victory Museum announced that the Winter War was caused by the white bandit Finns shooting and killing peaceful Soviet soldiers. :roll:

History is a political thing. Who has power now, controls the history. And who controls history, controls the future. ;)
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

wulfir
Staff Sergeant

#64 Post by wulfir » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Russia has maintained the postwar position of officials in the Soviet Union, who said the pact was a necessary evil to try and stop the Nazis from invading — or at least delay them.

"They are very nearly blaming the Soviet Union, alongside Nazi Germany, for causing the Second World War," Putin said. "As if they have forgotten who attacked Poland on September 1, 1939, and the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941."

The agreement is rarely discussed in Russia, where the Soviet Union's role in ending the Second World War is a source of enormous patriotic pride.

The pact was a written mutual guarantee of peace, as well as a commitment that neither would ally itself to an enemy party. The countries' two foreign ministers, after whom the pact is named, also agreed to carve up eastern Europe between one another.
https://www.dw.com/en/vladimir-putin-co ... a-51636197

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#65 Post by chijohnaok » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 am

Mark Felton Productions: The Second Japanese Pearl Harbor Attack
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#66 Post by chijohnaok » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Another installment in the World War 2 updates:

https://youtu.be/dMOjVmQe8kI

Posted from IPad

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#67 Post by chijohnaok » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:31 am

Molotovn’t-Ribbentropn’t Pact

Mac
First Sergeant

#68 Post by Mac » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm

The invasion of Poland from the Polish prespective...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

NATO
Gunnery Sergeant

#69 Post by NATO » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 pm

strange twist of times: the Invasion of Poland started WWII, which led to Cold War, which cud have destroyed all of humanity.....then abt +40 years a Polish Pope and the polish people start the process which leads to the end of the Cold War, the withdrawal of the Soviet Army frm central Europe proper. God bless the Poles! never forget

wulfir
Staff Sergeant

#70 Post by wulfir » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Mac wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm
The invasion of Poland from the Polish prespective...
1933, with Hilter coming to power the Polish strong man Pilsudski gathered up a bunch of his high ranking officers and circulated a question:

Who will attack first? Germany or Russia...?

13 officers respond Germany.
4 figures it'll be Russia, in cooperation with Germany.
2 say it's gonna' be Russia.
1 says it'll be Germany, in cooperation with Russia.

Can't say they were in doubt of who the enemies were...