All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: Global warming musings
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
EUBanana wrote:
I've been having some fun trolling on Reddit where I back up geoengineering and genetic engineering as a solution to climate change.

There are various geoengineering methods being proposed, the cheapest seems to be artificial clouds made by spraying seawater into the air to increase the Earths albedo, thus having a cooling effect.

All these geoengineering projects, even the grandiose ones, cost peanuts compared to 'greening' the economy - of the order of 1%. Seems to be the ideal solution therefore.

But whenever you talk to environmentalists about this stuff it quickly becomes clear that fixing the problem in the most efficient manner possible is actually not their intent. As I asked someone directly, if you could fix climate change and nobody had to change their lifestyle at all, for a very minimal cost, is that not the ideal solution? This just makes everybody I challenge with that angry, I've noticed. They would much rather we wear hair shirts than fix the problem as cheaply and easily as possible.

So it's really NOT about climate change at all. It's about piousness, virtue signalling, and sneering condescension for the lifestyle of others.

Yes, indeed and fully. Not to mention that the nature of "the problem" remains one of scientific inquiry, not of scriptural absolutism.

There is NO QUESTION IN SCIENCE, YET, that is or could possibly be as settled, finished, and closed up as the Climate Hysterics will insist their pseudo-science to be.

Sometime in the 1990s, perhaps in the 1980s, major sections of the broad family of movements we might call "Environmentalism" became religious movements. I am an environmentalist to this day, but that means that, for example, I am very much in favor of the promotion of hunting of deer in the Eastern U.S. (as one heretical example).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
Anthropoid wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
I've been having some fun trolling on Reddit where I back up geoengineering and genetic engineering as a solution to climate change.

There are various geoengineering methods being proposed, the cheapest seems to be artificial clouds made by spraying seawater into the air to increase the Earths albedo, thus having a cooling effect.

All these geoengineering projects, even the grandiose ones, cost peanuts compared to 'greening' the economy - of the order of 1%. Seems to be the ideal solution therefore.

But whenever you talk to environmentalists about this stuff it quickly becomes clear that fixing the problem in the most efficient manner possible is actually not their intent. As I asked someone directly, if you could fix climate change and nobody had to change their lifestyle at all, for a very minimal cost, is that not the ideal solution? This just makes everybody I challenge with that angry, I've noticed. They would much rather we wear hair shirts than fix the problem as cheaply and easily as possible.

So it's really NOT about climate change at all. It's about piousness, virtue signalling, and sneering condescension for the lifestyle of others.

Yes, indeed and fully. Not to mention that the nature of "the problem" remains one of scientific inquiry, not of scriptural absolutism.

There is NO QUESTION IN SCIENCE, YET, that is or could possibly be as settled, finished, and closed up as the Climate Hysterics will insist their pseudo-science to be.

Sometime in the 1990s, perhaps in the 1980s, major sections of the broad family of movements we might call "Environmentalism" became religious movements. I am an environmentalist to this day, but that means that, for example, I am very much in favor of the promotion of hunting of deer in the Eastern U.S. (as one heretical example).

Just natural variation caused by flogiston from the dark side of the Moon. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:31 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18675
You do realise, Nero, that thats as far as the Earth is concerned an extreme zoom-in and therefore almost as misleading as messing with the axes? 100 years is the blink of an eye as far as climate goes. Even 1000 years is.

In the first third of the Cenozoic Era the seas were 15 degrees hotter than they are now, for example.

Quote:
The Early Eocene Climatic Optimum lasted for over 2 million years, and was characterized by warm and equable (meaning the climate was relatively similar everywhere) conditions. Deciduous, temperate forests covered Antarctica, and palm trees marched north across Wyoming and into Arctic Canada. Summer temperatures in the Arctic Ocean were approximately 59 degrees F (33 degrees C), almost 30 degrees F (17 degrees C) warmer than today, while ocean surface temperatures in the tropics were hardly different (at most, 9 degrees F, or 5 degrees C warmer) from those at present. This low equator to pole temperature gradient, with tropical and subtropical climate zones spanning much of the globe, is a notable characteristic of early Cenozoic hothouse climates, and understanding the mechanisms by which such a low temperature gradient can be maintained is one of the greatest challenges in paleoclimate science.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
You do realise, Nero, that thats as far as the Earth is concerned an extreme zoom-in and therefore almost as misleading as messing with the axes? 100 years is the blink of an eye as far as climate goes. Even 1000 years is.

In the first third of the Cenozoic Era the seas were 15 degrees hotter than they are now, for example.

Quote:
The Early Eocene Climatic Optimum lasted for over 2 million years, and was characterized by warm and equable (meaning the climate was relatively similar everywhere) conditions. Deciduous, temperate forests covered Antarctica, and palm trees marched north across Wyoming and into Arctic Canada. Summer temperatures in the Arctic Ocean were approximately 59 degrees F (33 degrees C), almost 30 degrees F (17 degrees C) warmer than today, while ocean surface temperatures in the tropics were hardly different (at most, 9 degrees F, or 5 degrees C warmer) from those at present. This low equator to pole temperature gradient, with tropical and subtropical climate zones spanning much of the globe, is a notable characteristic of early Cenozoic hothouse climates, and understanding the mechanisms by which such a low temperature gradient can be maintained is one of the greatest challenges in paleoclimate science.

Yes, I know the Earth has been warmer before. But do you know why was that? ;)

And do you know why the temperature was higher millions years ago? Was the Sun so much warmer?

Anyway it is not about the absolute temperature that is the problem, but the rapid change of the temperature. The transients are the problem, not the steady state.

This is a quite good presentation, informative and funny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

They did know. Exxon even earlier. :twisted:

And now all the predictions have come reality. :roll:

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

More musing about geoengineering and other things.

;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

More old stuff.

Check out how wrong the old predictions were. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:02 am 
Sergeant Major

It is the Sun. NOT!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
Quote:

Why does that matter?

Agriculture was developed in an peri-Pleistocene environment. Are you suggesting that there will be no effects from massive global warming?

AFAICT, China, SE Asia, the Asian Steppe, Africa, and India will be massively destabilized. Now, for myself, the catastrophic loss of, say, even 20% of the world's population seems acceptable because (1) it won't be me paying the price, (2) Asia has created its own mess through uncontrolled population expansion, and (3) if at the end of the day a bunch of foreigners kill each other off in an existential battle for arable land and potable water, I won't care. But for the sake of pity, isn't it a good idea to maybe try to choose some other path?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 am 
Sergeant Major

The new IPCC report came just out: Eat less meat: UN climate change report calls for change to human diet. :shock:

For a beefeater like I am, this is not good news. I like my beef medium rare.

This vege thing sucks. :twisted:

But then the nihilistic Google algorithm found this jewel.

Oddly enough the Al-Guardian moonbat agrees with Allan Savory: We can’t keep eating as we are – why isn’t the IPCC shouting this from the rooftops?.

What do you thunk?

I say fuck the IPCC vegan feminazis, but radically reduce the carbon emissions.

PS. Cutting down rain forests to graze cattle is stupidly criminal. :twisted:

Profile E-mail