All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Something for Nero
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Some advice.

Try reading 'The Luna City series', maybe you'll understand America and Americans.

The Chronicles of Luna City Kindle Edition
by Celia Hayes (Author), Jeanne Hayden (Author)
4.4 out of 5 stars 17 customer reviews
Book 1 of 7 in The Chronicles of Luna City (7 Book Series)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017L ... s_rw_dp_sw

Welcome to Luna City, Karnes County, Texas … Population 2,453, not counting a fugitive former celebrity chef…
Where the high school football team is called the Mighty Fighting Moths … and their yearly Homecoming game is under some strange and irregular curse.
Which was once meant to be a stop on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad, but which was derailed by True Love …
Where half the townsfolk has the surname of Gonzalez or Gonzales, they’re all related and descended from the holder of the original Spanish land grant… but no one has ever been able to figure out whether his name ended in an ‘s’ or a ‘z’, due to illegible handwriting on the original paperwork …
Where the last two members of a Sixties hippy nudist commune still still keep the faith with peace, love, and organic vegetables at the Age of Aquarius Campground and Goat Farm …
And a historic marker on Town Square marks the spot where a local bootlegger was nearly hung in 1926 for (among a long list of offenses against the laws of God and Man) impersonating a nun.
Luna City, where eccentricity is just a part of every-day life. Drop in for a visit – you might never want to leave.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Something for Nero
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Checked out the description at Amazon....sounds interesting but I have enough books in the queue at Amazon, Nook, IBooks and also have access to e-books via my Hillsborough County Library account that it would probably take me a decade to get through everything.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Something for Nero
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:50 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
chijohnaok wrote:
Checked out the description at Amazon....sounds interesting but I have enough books in the queue at Amazon, Nook, IBooks and also have access to e-books via my Hillsborough County Library account that it would probably take me a decade to get through everything.
Yes, understand the situation ;) , thought it might be useful for Nero who seems to not a clue about us Americans. Sort of sounds like that radio series:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon
Lake Wobegon is a fictional town created by Garrison Keillor as the setting of the "News from Lake Wobegon" segment of the radio program A Prairie Home Companion. Lake Wobegon is also the setting of many of Keillor's stories and novels. It is described as a small rural town in central Minnesota, and is peopled with fictional characters and places, many of which became familiar to listeners of the broadcast. The events and adventures of the townspeople provided Keillor with a wealth of humorous and often touching stories.[1][2]

Keillor has said that people often ask him if it is a real town, and when he replied that it was not, they seemed disappointed, because "people want stories to be true". So he began to say it was in "central Minnesota, near Stearns County, up around Holdingford, not far from St. Rosa and Albany and Freeport, northwest of St. Cloud", which he says is "sort of the truth, I guess."[3]
Great series written by a leftie, naturally.

Profile E-mail