maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fat Bois
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
I've been doing some short hikes at Caprock Canyon and Palo Duro State Parks and will continue to do so until time to hit the high peaks arrives. By the way Palo Duro canyon is the second largest canyon in the US, only second to the Grand Canyon. Both of these parks are beautiful places. Caprock Canyon has the Texas State Bison herd and nothing like a close encounter with a young bull on trail to really get your heart rate up. They can really do a good job of giving you the stink eye while you walk ever so gingerly past.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
Check out this 53 year old who is in WAY better shape than I have ever been in my entire LIFE!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:16 am 
Sergeant Major

Now comfortable at a 3 day per week periodicity on my biking-gym routine. Been focusing on strength building using a calisthenic routine. Feeling like I should do a bit of high-intensity to up my metabolism a bit though. Think I'll try something like this routine today:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Routine now (MWF):
Bike 3.4 miles to gym
Progressive Strength Routine (3 circuits) (progressive meaning, when failure is at 9 reps, i.e., 8 reps is fully doable, time to progress to a harder variant of the exercise)
Based on: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ed_routine
I. Pullup (rings) then Squat (3 sets of 5 to 8 reps)
II. Dip (rings) then Hinge (3 sets of 5 to 8 reps)
III. Row (hanging rings) Pushup (so far just inclined but eventually on rings) (3 sets of 5 to 8 reps)
IV. Anti-extension (supine plank variants) 1 minute
Anti-rotation (side laying plank variants) 30 second working toward 1 minute
Extension (supine on bench with legs extended unsupported) 30 second working toward 1 minute

Two sessions ago, I tried that Saturno workout but it was too much so I adapted a variant of my own. Presently able to do about 1.5 circuits but goal is to get up to 3 circuits. Point is just to top off the strength training with muscular endurance training and overall physiological exhaustion, something which in my experience is very beneficial.
3 to 5 circuits
I. High Knee Trots 10 steps per leg (goal 30 steps per leg)
II. Climber burpees 10 drops with 6 leg cycles per drop (goal 20 drops with 6)
III. Jumping Jacks 10 reps (goal 30 reps)
IV. Supine leg raise with opposing arm reach toward toes (starting from arms extended cranially) 10 per side (goal 30 per side)
V. Jump rope 1 minute

Found this guys video and will see about adding his routine on top of the above. That should put it at about the 2.5 hour workout mark without any climbing! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

My view on weight loss and exercise:
Quote:
Repost of something I jabbered out to a recent post on this sub:
Reduction of fat mass is primarily (most physicians agree 90 to 95%) about achieving a caloric deficit. This means that, you need to estimate your caloric needs https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/calories
You then monitor everything you eat https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myfitne ... 32718?mt=8
and strive to maintain a daily caloric deficit.
3500kcal is a widely cited estimate for how much deficit is required for one pound of body fat mass to be reduced (metabolized into energy).
Short of trauma or surgery, there is NO OTHER WAY to "lose weight," and all fad diets work to the extent that they achieve caloric deficit. Exercise or physical activity more generally can directly contribute to body mass reduction by two related pathways: (a) increased acute metabolic demands ("burning" more calories in a given day); (b) increased steady-state metabolic demands, i.e., effects which may persist for days or perhaps even a week or more from a period of heightened activity and related physiological adaptation (e.g., tissue repair, muscle growth, etc.). There are many other health benefits to exercise and it is thus probable that there are many other indirect pathways by which exercise can facilitate well-being and weight loss, but the acute and steady-state effects on metabolism are the primary mechanism. ADDIT: I should add, muscle mass is one of the tissues with higher resting metabolic demands (central nervous tissue is the highest), so persons with increased relative muscle mass will have higher metabolism than matched persons with lower muscle mass. Therefore, in the medium to long-term building muscle mass IS an effective means to increase basal metabolism. We could call this the (c) third type of direct effect; however, the main reason I did not mention it initially is that its effects MAY be sufficiently delayed and offset initially by increased appetite that its benefits may be challenging for a beginner to take advantage of. I believe there have been a series of well-done studies which have revealed that regimens that include caloric restriction and muscle-building exercise can be very effective, but the benefits tend to arise fairly slowly.
For a sense for how much exercise is involved to "burn" 3500kcal https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc/
A male of my age stature and mass is estimated to "burn" 732 kcal in one hour of "vigorous" calisthenics. About the only things that would have higher metabolic demands than that would be rock climbing (which is estimated at around 932kcal per hour by that site if memory servers) or perhaps sprinting.
This means that, for me to reduce one pound of body fat strictly based on calisthenics I would to do it vigorously for around 4.8 hours.
Exercise which is added into a sensible fat reduction lifestyle transition can easily undermine and even "sabotage" one's efforts to lose and maintain weight loss, at least in the "early" stages before solid habits and discipline are established. "Early" will mean different things for different people. There are a number of reasons for this, but the most important are that some forms of working out increase appetite, and make estimating caloric needs more difficult.
Going back to the issue of caloric deficit, another good word for that is just plain old "suffering." This is particularly true for an overweight or obese person who is, (very likely) for all intents and purposes "addicted" to food and uses food as a means to deliver psychological reward. Just maintaining a 10 or 20% caloric deficit for the weeks and months required to shed a pound per week can be quite challenging. Adding the ambiguities of what one's fluctuating caloric needs are with introducing a work out regimen and the increased suffering from heightened appetite can make it even more challenging.
Without more details about how heavy you are, how much experience you have with this sort of thing, etc., etc., it is impossible to say anything more specific.
The key thing to keep in mind: exercise without a caloric deficit will not achieve weight loss. Caloric deficit during periods of exercise which boost appetite can be even more challenging and thus undermine the benefits of the increased metabolic rate.
As such, I think a solid general recommendation is to focus initially on the caloric deficit portion of the process, and spend long enough imposing this suffering on yourself that you feel confident you have mastery of it, and see sufficient progress that you are fully in control of the process. In my case, this was 4.4 months, during which time I lost 24 pounds (which was a little more than half of my total goal) strictly through caloric restriction, i.e., without any real exercise. That probably sounds slow or meager compared to some of the dramatic claims you will find on subs like r/loseit, but then don't believe everything you read on the Internet . . . Since adding exercise into my own process about 3 months ago, my own body mass has plateaued and I cannot even be certain that I've lost much body fat. If I accept the bioelectric impedance measure on my scale as being a reliable measure of body fat percentage, then my body fat has also plateaued, and this despite the fact I feel better, am told I look better, and am definitely more fit. I'm certainly not going to stop exercising now that I've got going, but had I tried to add a structured exercise routine in after only a week, a month or two months instead of 4.4, I have to wonder if I would have managed to sustain the whole process or not. Having already lost half of my target goal before "resorting" to exercise, I was in a better position to cope with the disheartening plateau in weight and apparently (possibly) even in body fat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Finally got my caloric restriction back on track with the exercise. Had been plateaued at like 200 for months . . . I had at one point dropped to about 196, but then since starting to exercise in Feb went back to 200 and had stayed there.

Down to 197 today.

Bowels are working good, just about every day I launch a Bristol Grade 4 in the 2.5 to 3 hand lengths tonnage class. Sleep is decent. Just finished an hour of biking to/from gym and 2.5 hours of calisthenics +0.5 hours of climbing. Most importantly I'm loving it. Another month or two of this and I just might be at my target weight!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
Walk 10 km a day. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Hey Ripper!? Supine is laying face up and pronate is laying face down. But what the hell is the fancy shmancy term for laying on your side!?

I tried to write down crisp descriptions of the exact anatomical configurations of arms and body for those shoulder exercises in that Tony video up there but couldn't come up with a fancy term for "laying on your side" . . .

Oh fuck . . . never mind. The awakening artificial intelligence that is progressively taking control of all our lives called "Google" already answered my question. Just think. Eventually physicians and physios, even psych docs and definitely programmers will be superfluous . . .
Positions
Quote:
Someone in the prone position is lying face down. The Right lateral recumbent, or RLR, means that the patient is lying on their right side. The left lateral recumbent, or LLR, means that the patient is lying on their left side. A person in the Fowler's position is sitting straight up or leaning slightly back.

I still cannot figure out why he does the anterior dumbell raises with the hands rotated pronate to the point where thumbs point posterior at the beginning of a rep. I mean, that is ALSO how I was taught by physios years ago to do band therapy for the old dislocated shoulders. They called it "Emptying the Paint Can." I also did it that way in my routines so far and it definitely makes it harder . . . kinda "Ah, shit . . . those muscles are kinda sticky when you make them work that way" harder, but not "Ow Fuck! This is going to injure me!" harder. Must have something to do with how the supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor plug into the medial end of the humerus? . . . either that or something about the deltoid . . . or the pectoralis minor maybe . . . Jeebus that joint is fucking complicated. What are there there, like 3 layers of muscle operating in different axes laying on top of one another. It is amazing that dislocated shoulders are as uncommon as they seem to be . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
Hiking with elevation change is a great inexpensive exercise. So is ocean swimming. Of course you need an ocean and you need small chop and small waves and low current and warm water and no white sharks.

I was down in Cancun at an all inclusive place. Even 500 yds once or twice a day I lost weight even though I ate like a pot bellied pig. In Southern Calif you would need a wet suit if you are going to swim for exercise and a woman just had half her pelivs and thigh removed by a great white not 100 yds off the beach in Laguna. Screw that. Kayaking in the back bay is fun too. No sharks there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
jack t ripper wrote:
Hiking with elevation change is a great inexpensive exercise. So is ocean swimming. Of course you need an ocean and you need small chop and small waves and low current and warm water and no white sharks.

I was down in Cancun at an all inclusive place. Even 500 yds once or twice a day I lost weight even though I ate like a pot bellied pig. In Southern Calif you would need a wet suit if you are going to swim for exercise and a woman just had half her pelivs and thigh removed by a great white not 100 yds off the beach in Laguna. Screw that. Kayaking in the back bay is fun too. No sharks there.

I have an alternative plan, walk down from Curral das Freiras to Funchal. Even if it is downhill, ones heart rate is pretty high.

I did it in 1989, with female companion. And the were some effects that I had to take like a man, hero of the night. :mrgreen:

PS. How many times you have seen a rainbow from above when walking? ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next