It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: Fat Bois
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
I am FAT, fat, fat, fat ... But it's ok because I read someplace, sometime, by somebody that it's ok to have extra fat when your near the end because if you get sick your body has the extra fat help you recover ... makes sense to me and besides that, 'somebody' has always been my fav doc and never proven wrong..

Have a nice day, think I'll eat another KitKat or two.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
Still doin' good. Average daily intake over the past 13 days: 1,638kcal. My total caloric deficits:

Bed-ridden (1936 per day): 3,278kcal
Sedentary (2323 per day): 8,309kcal

So depending on how active I actually am, that would indicate I have catabolized between 0.94 and 2.38 pounds. Apparently "one pound" of fat is equivalent to about 3500kcal.

Only one "bad" day in this two week starting period, yesterday actually. Headache all day, but today was fine. Course by the time you get to 16:00 and have only eaten ~800kcal, yes you do feel HUNGRY. There are certain days where I just MUST eat more than what I would prefer to target, so the daily totals go something like: 1340, 1499, 2065, 1799, 2038, 1680 . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
When you go into "negative nitrogen balance" with a subcaloric diet you also metabolize muscle.

You headache may be "ketosis" from fat metabolism after glycogen stores are exhausted and you have no current carbohydrate source. It might help to take some small carbohydrate containing snacks more frequently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_balance

Nitrogen balance. Interesting! I would say I'm eating fairly high ratios of protein, but I probably should pay closer attention to that.

My understanding was: some reduction in muscle mass is inevitable to any weight loss process although resistance training with sufficient protein consumption can mitigate it to some extent. Plan for next week is to start adding more routinized physical activity into the mix.

That is a great idea about the small carb snack to combat the headache. I didn't think of that. It was really just that one day where headache hit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am 
Sergeant Major

1,708 mean daily kcal intake after 20 days.

At this rate, and without upping the activity level, I'm looking at (approximately) another 203 days to hit target weight goal of 81kg (178lbs). If I up my activity level from "Sedentary" to "Light Exercise" that could reduce time to target weight to 129 days.

At the extreme level of "Amish Farmer" activity level, ~75 days (vs ~490 days at the other end of the continuum for "Bed Ridden" activity level).

So, based on the level of deprivation I've so far managed, and which I feel confident I can maintain, I know my range of slow and fast project completion! Try for the best, plan for the worst . . . I'd say at worst, I will be able to hit target by 8 May 2019 (which is just past 51st birthday), but if I kick in some increased activity, I SHOULD be able to hit target in time for my 51st birthday! :shock:

I'm gonna DO IT! :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Progress is good. No relapse whatsoever, and I feel better and better!

My first self-measured weight was 11 Nov at 216 pounds, and most recent was 15 Nov at 210 pounds.

Average kcal intake over the whole 49 days so far is 1584kcal. Supposedly my weight from the physician (on 26 Sept 2018) was 222. Assuming that number was accurate I've lost 12 pounds in 49 days or 0.245 pounds per day. Assuming that the Mayo Clinic number I read on their website of 'one pound of fat stores around 3500kcal then 0.245 * 3500 = 857 kcal worth of fat/calories burned per day on average for the last 49 days.

The number I was working with at the outset was an estimated BMR of ~2100, so I was striving to keep it under 2000, so I'm doing good I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Still making progress and pretty well adapted to the reduced caloric intake. Average daily intake since I started is in the ~1550 ballpark, and I pretty routinely go to bed after only ~1,100. Sometimes even less. Best part is: it feels okay!

I had "plateaued" at the ~210 pounds mass for a long time, couple weeks anyway. But the past 4 or 5 days, I've been shedding pounds (and body fat %) pretty steadily at about the 0.2 pounds per day rate. This morning's measure was 208 pounds, 23.7% BF, and 52.3 "Total Body Water" percentage. I had never heard of that TBW index before, and it doesn't seem to have that much bearing on weight loss per se, though it is included in the Tanita scale I bought so I record it. Very consistently at ~51% over all measures so far, so I guess that is good. Maybe indicates I should hydrate more or eat more water-rich foods. I guess the main reason they included it is: some extreme weight loss activities could lead to a reduction below the "healthy range" (which seems to be 50 to 65 for adult men) so they put it on their machine to allow users to monitor it.

Profile E-mail