American Civil War, bits and peices.

A den of assassins, where anarchists conspire to rule the world and other enlightened stuff

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
It's the Gulag of Fun
abradley
buck private

American Civil War, bits and peices.

#1 Post by abradley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 am

What about Buford?

Tactics

Dragoon or Calvaryman, John Buford
Major Mark Strickerland, USA
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a284633.pdf
Posted by Keld Denar
+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... D-2-5-What

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

Re: American Civil War, bits and peices.

#2 Post by EUBanana » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:51 am

Just tangling with the Union at Gettysburg in Ultimate General as the Confederates - up till now I've had way with the Union but that all came skidding to a halt...

Bufords cavalry is quite noticeable in that at the opening stages. ;)
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

abradley
buck private

#3 Post by abradley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:36 am

EUBanana wrote:Just tangling with the Union at Gettysburg in Ultimate General as the Confederates - up till now I've had way with the Union but that all came skidding to a halt...

Bufords cavalry is quite noticeable in that at the opening stages. ;)
Yes, just tripped over this

Guy gives a good narration.
Posted by Keld Denar
+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... D-2-5-What

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#4 Post by Anthropoid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Ultimate General . . . WHAT!? THere is a neat looking new Civil War strategy game out and you fuckers didn't tell me!?

nero
Sergeant Major

#5 Post by nero » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:15 pm

abradley wrote:What about Buford?
Of course Buford, and Reynolds. But why not Strong Vincent on Little Round Top and others.

But the real unsung hero was Pop Greene who held the line against an overwhelming enemy. Had the Rebels taken the Culp's Hill the Union army had been in a losing position.

Greene made his troops to use their time to make preparations by building breastworks. The other commanders were laughing, but they were not there when attack came.

That was the end of the second day.

The third day was just Lee's biggest error.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#6 Post by EUBanana » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Anthropoid wrote:Ultimate General . . . WHAT!? THere is a neat looking new Civil War strategy game out and you fuckers didn't tell me!?
:lol:

There's Ultimate General Gettysburg, and then Ultimate General Civil War, which is the sequel. The former is just the Battle of Gettysburg, but the latter is the whole war.
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#7 Post by Anthropoid » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 am

Looks good. Is it good?

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#8 Post by EUBanana » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 am

Anthropoid wrote:Looks good. Is it good?
I'm up to 88 hours played on Steam.

... I think that's a win.

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#9 Post by jack t ripper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:51 pm

The Gettysburg battlefield is tremendously well preserved. You can stand right where Buford fought and look out over the turnpike. The slope is remarkably gentle there and the tree-covered areas are generally in the right places compared to the historical situation. Even the roads follow the same right of way. It is also beautiful country because of the preservation.
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

Zad Fnark
Corporal

#10 Post by Zad Fnark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:24 pm

I've been there twice. It takes the whole day to take it all in.

A bonus is that Antietam is only a half hour drive away. You can do that one in an afternoon.