maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


It's the Gulag of Fun



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15042
Reputation points: 1834
Interesting discussion. I post it here, not rose and crown, b/c nobody reads that. This brainy forum is the proper home.



Enjoy and discuss.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15510
Reputation points: 11853
nero wrote:
Interesting discussion. I post it here, not rose and crown, b/c nobody reads that. This brainy forum is the proper home.



Enjoy and discuss.
An hour and 40 minutes ... how about a bumper sticker summary.

Does that sounds familiar? ;)

_________________
"Experience must be our only guide. Reason may mislead us."
John Dickinson
Constitutional Convention of 1787


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 11220
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 14595
I agree.

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15042
Reputation points: 1834
abradley wrote:
An hour and 40 minutes ... how about a bumper sticker summary.

Does that sounds familiar? ;)

:lol:

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 3263
Reputation points: 4670
abradley wrote:
An hour and 40 minutes ...


Dry British humour debate. It's worth a watch.

The Germans - were they good or bad.

Brexit 1914 would have led to a German economic union in Europe that Britain would have done best to stay out of. :D

Was the fight for the British Empire (which was doomed anyway) or for the sake of small neutral nations (Belgium)...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15510
Reputation points: 11853
wulfir wrote:
abradley wrote:
An hour and 40 minutes ...


Dry British humour debate. It's worth a watch.

The Germans - were they good or bad.

Brexit 1914 would have led to a German economic union in Europe that Britain would have done best to stay out of. :D

Was the fight for the British Empire (which was doomed anyway) or for the sake of small neutral nations (Belgium)...
Thanks, was getting back at Nero for his thousands (or more) gripping about my links to long posts.

_________________
"Experience must be our only guide. Reason may mislead us."
John Dickinson
Constitutional Convention of 1787


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15042
Reputation points: 1834
abradley wrote:
...
Thanks, was getting back at Nero for his thousands (or more) gripping about my links to long posts.

In videos there are usually old men ruminating about how many angels can dance ballet on a tip of a needle or something similarly uninteresting. :roll:

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:11 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15510
Reputation points: 11853
nero wrote:
In videos there are usually old men ruminating about how many angels can dance ballet on a tip of a needle or something similarly uninteresting. :roll:
OK, how many and why would it be asked?
Quote:
...

The Value of “Impractical” Questions
https://www.christianity.com/theology/s ... tical.html
In my last post, I suggested that we should view theology as a discipline that seeks to understand a reality so complex that it sometimes needs to pursue questions that appear, on the surface, rather odd and impractical. If reality is truly complex, you don’t get to predict or control the questions. Avoiding the odd questions is akin to saying that you’re really not interested in understanding reality in all of its complexity, you just want the simple bits.

Questions about the nature of angels works like that. They press us to reflect more deeply on this weird universe that we find ourselves in, the amazing creatures that populate it, and the magnificent God who created it all in the first place. Sure, we could avoid odd questions like this. But is that really more “practical”? Or is it just a way of avoiding the true complexities of God’s creation?

_________________
"Experience must be our only guide. Reason may mislead us."
John Dickinson
Constitutional Convention of 1787


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15042
Reputation points: 1834
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
In videos there are usually old men ruminating about how many angels can dance ballet on a tip of a needle or something similarly uninteresting. :roll:
OK, how many and why would it be asked?
Quote:
...

The Value of “Impractical” Questions
https://www.christianity.com/theology/s ... tical.html
In my last post, I suggested that we should view theology as a discipline that seeks to understand a reality so complex that it sometimes needs to pursue questions that appear, on the surface, rather odd and impractical. If reality is truly complex, you don’t get to predict or control the questions. Avoiding the odd questions is akin to saying that you’re really not interested in understanding reality in all of its complexity, you just want the simple bits.

Questions about the nature of angels works like that. They press us to reflect more deeply on this weird universe that we find ourselves in, the amazing creatures that populate it, and the magnificent God who created it all in the first place. Sure, we could avoid odd questions like this. But is that really more “practical”? Or is it just a way of avoiding the true complexities of God’s creation?

Watch the video instead of derailing the thread to theology. :twisted:

Watch up, or shut up. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Britain Should Not Have Fought in the First World War
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:20 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 15510
Reputation points: 11853
nero wrote:
Watch the video instead of derailing the thread to theology. :twisted:

Watch up, or shut up. ;)
You brought up the 'Angels on the point of a pin.'

Considering Angels are said to have no substance, I'd guess billions +.

But it ain't that simple, there are other things that enter into it.

_________________
"Experience must be our only guide. Reason may mislead us."
John Dickinson
Constitutional Convention of 1787


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group