It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Open Spaces with Spiral Staircases
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
I have mentioned that a ~100 year old oak tree in our back yard "bombed" our house some months back and we are now living in a temporary rental house. Well things are finally getting past the demolition and restoration-estimate phase and we are closing in on initiating reconstruction. Roughly 25% of the house was destroyed but the total value will exceed the original build cost by probably 75%. Basically: we have an opportunity to not only get our house rebuilt, but to rebuild it better, faster, stronger and with more features we would have liked from the beginning but couldn't afford back then.

It is a two-story (well three counting the fully built out basement apartment) in the 2200 square foot ballpark (3100 with basement). Fairly low-grade construction, but solid.

The basic floor plan is a rectangle with long side facing street and a single roof peak running the middle of the long axis. County regulations on set-backs prevent us from being able to expand front or sides, and one half of the back side is blocked by the septic system, but! . . . The zone where the tree hit (northeast corner of the building on the back side) had an elevated "deck" (which, just a suggestion, NEVER get a deck without a roof if not complete enclosure in the American southeast: two humid, too much pollen and tree gunk falling from the sky). We are going to explore building an extension to the rectangle on the back northeast corner of the building; probably a 14' x 14' internal square that goes up three stories (to match the house itself). Bottom floor a concrete pad at same level as the basement and with a ceiling and exterior door into the backyard: utility sink inside. A storage area.

"Ground floor" will require a staircase to have an exterior door and that will be a room with flloor at the same level as the "1st floor" of the house, opening into the living room /kitchen area. This room is being alternatively called "sun room" or "atrium" in our sketchings, but one prospect is that this room has a raised ceiling, i.e., the ceiling at the same level as the ceiling for the "2nd floor" of the house. Less practical than having it divided into two floors, but perhaps more aesthetic. If that were the plan, then we are considering trying for some sort open-air feeling and possibly some sort of spiral staircase going from the floor up to the level of the next floor and then a balcony at that level.

I searched out some example pics of "open air interior atrium with spiral staircase" to give my wife a sense for what sorts of wild shit could be done

Obviously a lot of that stuff is way too extravagant, but provides ideas.

You guys got any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Open Spaces with Spiral Staircases
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
Anthropoid wrote:
You guys got any suggestions?

Beaver spotting. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:01 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
We had that third from the bottom in one townhouse we lived in. It was by a two-story window overseeing the forest view and the windows were as wide as the staircase. It was a nice touch, seeing that view all the way up/down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:56 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
We were over there again today to interview our "backup" construction guy (in case we have to fire our current one; construction guys don't like to take directions and do what they say they will do) and I actually measured the area at that corner where we might build: More like 18' by 22' could even be 25'

Hopefully we can swing it financially cause I think it will be a great addition to the house, whether we do the open two-story tall or just to floors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
Anthropoid wrote:
We were over there again today to interview our "backup" construction guy (in case we have to fire our current one; construction guys don't like to take directions and do what they say they will do) and I actually measured the area at that corner where we might build: More like 18' by 22' could even be 25'

Hopefully we can swing it financially cause I think it will be a great addition to the house, whether we do the open two-story tall or just to floors.

In Finland if you order one of those guys who get paid to come over and fix stuff they never fix anything, they always try to get you to do all the heavy lifting and even fix the things yourself.

Oh and they're always pissed like someone took a piss in their morning coffee for having to be there and earn some money.

Those guys really needed some indoctrination and "orientation" from their bosses.

"Where do you think your salary comes from? The owner of the company pays you to sit around and drink coffee and occasionally be a bitch to the few paying customers that the company still has?"

The nerve of those guys, sheesh.

"Oh, I'm so sorry mr. construction/repair guy for trying to give you work and money. I shaln't ever try to pull that one on you again! I swear!"

Profile E-mail