It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Tech Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12499
We need a thread that is devoted to discussion of "tech" topics. Specifically, computers, electronics, software, etc.

We can certainly tolerate a few posts here and there about other "tech" (be it, stone tools, chimpanzee termite sticks, or crow nut cracking techniques) but the initial intent is to focus on "tech" as it pertains to modern electricity-dependent devices, aka "electronics." :P

So here I'll start with two questions:

1. As an budding software developer / game designer, I am always interested in matters of digital rights management, piracy and how to exterminate the little fuckers. Happened upon a site I found using a google advanced search "Freeman Guerrilla Warfare crack"
http://igg-games.com/freeman-guerrilla- ... nload.html

I already bought the goddamned game and I am morally opposed to all forms of piracy, so I was just doing the search out of curiousity. As far as I know, this game was released on Steam about 3 days ago and there is already a free download version of it. I poked around on that site a bit: Skyrim, War in the Pacific Admirals, Capitalism Sim, even good-old Sid Meier's Pirates! are all victims. Interestingly though, John Tiller's works seem to be absent. Didn't find anything searching on Kharkov 43, the only one of his titles I really know.

I guess my question/comment here is along the lines of . . .

Look how fucking polished that site is! It clearly has been around for a LONG time! That site is committing criminal infringement on the intellectual property of scores, hundreds, perhaps even thousands of individuals and corporate entities, and likely accounting for lost revenues in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and yet: there it is! As proud as punch!

I suspect we can have lots of open ended discussions along these lines but perhaps might be interesting if we can get Kamel, Jwilk, and of you other guys with actual experience in game's publishing and IP joining in.

2. After a couple years of Technical College coursework (in which I had to install various applications such as Microsoft SQL Server, and various versions of Visual Studio in order to have continuity with the versions used in courses) along with just general installation-creep, my 1TB of disk space has diminisshed below 100 GB. In fact, it has been fluctuating over the past couple months between as low as 30GB and 75GB depending on which games I install/uninstall, etc. The fact I have copied versions of some older games directories for the sake of modding (Jagged Alliance, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate) etc., eats up quite a bit too. I do have another internal HD around here somewhere that I've owned for literally years and should install but first I've got to find the damn thing and in the mean time, I've been going through my programs installed list with a fine tooth comb, and have already deleted probably 20 or 30 apps that I most definitely do not want/need comprising in the ballpark of 35GB of space freeing.

But then I come to the puzzle that is "Windows Sofware Development Kit" and all its twins and clones. I have no less than the following installed and I have no idea if I really NEED or want any of them:
Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.10586.212 ---- 2.15GB
Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.14393.33 ---- 1.95GB
Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.26624 ---- 1.43GB
Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.16299.15 ---- 1.22GB

And then the Microsoft .NET Framework stuff . . .
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack (ENU) ---- 69.6MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack (ENU) ---- 69.6MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Targeting Pack ---- 49.4MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack ---- 40.4MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack ---- 40.3MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 ---- 38.8MB // seems to be the ACTUAL application

The online documentation for these things is about as clear as mud.

I'm guessing that I absolutely do not need the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Targeting Pack, given that the actual application number installed is 4.6.1.

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack might also be expendable, but that seems less clear. And then of course the question: why is there a (ENU) and a non-ENU version and is "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack" redundant with "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack?"

I've decided to pretty much completely uninstall Microsoft SQL Server. I had that installed for a course, and I believe I might have also used it in relation to a gaming server I admined briefly, but at this point, I am not doing any SQL work (though might in future, tis true).

I have MySQL Server 4.1 installed, and then a shit ton of various "add on" package such as:
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Management Objects ---- 25.1MB
etc., etc.

I've been pruning those "add ons" pretty aggressively and I'm inclined to just keep on pruning and leave nothing but the actual application.

Any thoughts?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tech Topics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Update on part of my question(s) above.

I deleted Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Targeting Pack, but then when I wanted to start up a C# project in Visual Studio (to follow along with a "Beginner C# series cause I can only watch so many C++ videos in one day) I realized I didn't even really have C# for Visual Studio 2017 installed. I noticed it installing that one when I selected the Universal Windows Platform and the .NET Framework packages in the Visual Studio installer window, so apparently those packages are NOT redundant.

Still not clear on the Windows SDK packages, whether any of them are redundant or not.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11007
Not sure if this fits in.
Quote:
March 20, 2012
Why I play old CRPGs
(Continued)
http://crpgrevisited.blogspot.com.es/20 ... crpgs.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 am 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
Not sure if this fits in.
Quote:
March 20, 2012
Why I play old CRPGs
(Continued)
http://crpgrevisited.blogspot.com.es/20 ... crpgs.html

I'm convinced that there is a fortune to be made from:
1. Selecting a popular and beloved old CRPG (or strategy or whatever) title that people are STILL playing.
2. Rewrite the whole God damned thing from scratch.
3. Make the graphics, sound, UI, and various "scalar" factors which are now more-or-less "unlimited" by improvements in hardware more "up-to-date;" by which I mean, the sort of limited fake 3D models that an amateur artist can make in Blender, NOT the sort of extraordinary high-res, truly 3D thing that requires at least a dozen highly-accomplished programmers and artists AND a good manager to keep all those cats herded in the same direction . . .
4. Make it look pretty, make it run tight, but pretty much in all other respects, make it a "re-imagining" of the old title (and avoiding copyright infringement as necessary by renaming shit/altering the game universe).

Yes, games like Skyrim sell huge, but so do games like Project Zomboid . . . well, not AS huge, but several million copies anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14300
Fans remade Deus Ex. All the old speech and story and such but a new engine. I think it uses Unity.

Profile E-mail