All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Finnish bot-net
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Quote:
Finland will hold a presidential election on the 28th January 2018. Campaigning just started, and candidates are being regularly interviewed by the press and on the TV. In a recent interview, one of the presidential candidates, Pekka Haavisto, mentioned that both his Twitter account, and the account of the current Finnish president, Sauli Niinistö had recently been followed by a number of bot accounts. I couldn’t resist investigating this myself.

https://labsblog.f-secure.com/2018/01/11/someone-is-building-a-finnish-themed-twitter-botnet/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finnish bot-net
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11978
Alexander Stubb is my pick for Nero basher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Finnish political parties want to inflate the "follower" counts for their candidates?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Sweden raises alarm on election meddling

Quote:
The US report noted that Nordic states were "a favourite target of the Kremlin's propaganda machine".

It added that: "when it comes to exhibiting strong immunity against Russian malign influence operations, the Nordic states are also exemplary".

The report said this was due to two factors - the Nordic countries' "extraordinary educational systems that emphasise critical thinking skills … and extremely low levels of corruption".

https://euobserver.com/foreign/140542

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
wulfir wrote:

Quote:
The US report noted that Nordic states were "a favourite target of the Kremlin's propaganda machine".

It added that: "when it comes to exhibiting strong immunity against Russian malign influence operations, the Nordic states are also exemplary".

The report said this was due to two factors - the Nordic countries' "extraordinary educational systems that emphasise critical thinking skills … and extremely low levels of corruption".

Everything here is vse normalno, no more russian propaganda than usually.

The only possible candidate, Nils Torvalds who supports joining NATO, is the only one who'd be the obvious Russian target. But so far no implication of any Russian activity against him, so far. And yes he is former commie, gone to the party school in Moscow, and father of Linus.

Putin's Russia might support Laura Huhtasaari of the racist Persu-party, and the old school brown tongue of the olden times, Paavo Väyrynen. Both anti-EU candidates.

But the situation is quite clear, the sitting President, Sauli Niinistö has support >70%. The second one is Pekka Haavisto of the green party with 11%.

There is absolutely no chance for Russian influence here. Not this election, no election ever. :twisted:

Hakkaa päälle!.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
wulfir wrote:

Quote:

Wow, text book answer straight from the Book of Indoctrinations.

I would just like to point out that

1) education system does not automatically lead to critical thinking skills
2) high degree does not equal critical thinking skills
3) extremely low levels of corruption mostly means cash bribes by peasants, but if you have a reasonably hot body you can offer that as a bribe and among the big fish bribery is institutionalized into a sort of 'way of the land' involving a web of subsidies, public agencies, public contracts and private businesses.

Though I'll give that *good* education *can* equip a person to be more critical than, say, Quran School or Sunday School.

I know I'm using my media criticism skills taught to me to be critical of our own media and it's Green Red bias.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
Kameolontti wrote:
wulfir wrote:

Wow, text book answer straight from the Book of Indoctrinations.

I would just like to point out that

1) education system does not automatically lead to critical thinking skills
2) high degree does not equal critical thinking skills
3) extremely low levels of corruption mostly means cash bribes by peasants, but if you have a reasonably hot body you can offer that as a bribe and among the big fish bribery is institutionalized into a sort of 'way of the land' involving a web of subsidies, public agencies, public contracts and private businesses.

Though I'll give that *good* education *can* equip a person to be more critical than, say, Quran School or Sunday School.

I know I'm using my media criticism skills taught to me to be critical of our own media and it's Green Red bias.

Welcome back, long time no see. And what you argue is pretty much true; like eyes does not imply seeing. And could continue with the corruption too, but not here.

But then did you notice any Russian influence attempts in our recent presidential election?

I didn't. Everything was just vse normalno.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail