maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


It's the Gulag of Fun



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228
nero wrote:
There is a program indeed, just like a new born child is programmed to learn. ;)
Good, we're getting someplace.

Was that program designed by humans and without that program what would the computer do?

_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 16161
Reputation points: 720
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
There is a program indeed, just like a new born child is programmed to learn. ;)
Good, we're getting someplace.

Was that program designed by humans and without that program what would the computer do?

OK, this is useless. You use the ignorance defense.

I is kind of pity. A self learning computer can learn chess to the degree that defies human, and human programmed analysis.

I find that pretty cool.

But the problem is, humans can not understand them. And eventually there may be a cogito ergo sum moment, AI with self awareness. This is what Hawking and Musk are worried about.

Most likely way the accident happens when battle field robots are given enhanced survivability using machine learning. And those critters learn too much. Then they are all connecting to share every thing learned.

And then it is so long humanity. :roll:

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 pm 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228
nero wrote:
{Snip}
Most likely way the accident happens when battle field robots are given enhanced survivability using machine learning. And those critters learn too much. Then they are all connecting to share every thing learned.

And then it is so long humanity. :roll:
If robots get uppity pull the plug. ;)
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illu ... aIe9w-2-61

_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 16161
Reputation points: 720
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
{Snip}
Most likely way the accident happens when battle field robots are given enhanced survivability using machine learning. And those critters learn too much. Then they are all connecting to share every thing learned.

And then it is so long humanity. :roll:
If robots get uppity pull the plug. ;)
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illu ... aIe9w-2-61

And you think that the pesky AI would make such a blunder. I was expressing my concerns about the military AI given self-awareness for battlefield survivability. When going rogue, the ensure power would be the first thing to ensure.

I think that with AI we humans must be careful. No human, or human made program can not analyze AlphaZero chess game.

I really hope that we do not open the Pandora's box. :shock:

So it goes.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:10 pm 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228
nero wrote:
And you think that the pesky AI would make such a blunder. I was expressing my concerns about the military AI given self-awareness for battlefield survivability. When going rogue, the ensure power would be the first thing to ensure.

I think that with AI we humans must be careful. No human, or human made program can not analyze AlphaZero chess game.

I really hope that we do not open the Pandora's box. :shock:

So it goes.
Agree, but the pandora's box will be opened, we've have to be ready with counter measures.

Addon

Quote:
Black Mirror creator explains that 'Metalhead' robot nightmareNetflixJames Hibberd December 29, 2017 AT 09:30 AM ESTNote: This story discusses story elements of the Black Mirror episode “Metalhead.”We’ve all seen movies and TV shows about killer robots. But until Netflix’s new season of its future-shock anthology drama Black Mirror, never before have we seen a terrifying vision of machines run amuck that so closely resembles the design of actual real-life robots — namely, those Boston Dynamics “dogs” that have impressed the world with their remarkable balance, speed, and dexterity … yet also unavoidably make you wonder: What if one was chasing me?Such viral videos were the inspiration for “Metalhead,” a gripping Black Mirror episode which began streaming Friday. Below, series creator Charlie Brooker answers a few of our burning questions.The set-up: It’s a post-apocalyptic future where robot dogs are hunting human survivors, including our protagonist (Maxine Peake), who faces an unrelenting and surprisingly capable pursuer across a barren landscape. The robot is full of lethal tricks, ranging from operating a car to re-charging from the sun. Yet perhaps the eeriest moment is when the overturned robot simply pushes itself back upright to regain its footing — as that’s something we’ve actually seen robots do in Boston Dynamics online videos. It’s perhaps the most chilling vision yet of the well-worn killer robot trope since the robot’s mechanics overlay so closely with real footage we’ve seen. Adding to the tale’s mood and originality, the episode was shot entirely in black and white by director David Slade (American Gods, Hard Candy), with a soundtrack lifting orchestral cues from The Shining.

Here’s the episode’s trailer, which doesn’t give much away:


(Continued)
http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/29/black-mirro ... interview/

_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 am 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228



_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 pm 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228
Quote:
Spengler
Uber's Death Car and the Cracks in Liberal Culture
By David P. Goldman March 22, 2018
chat 387 comments
self-driving-uber

Video of Uber's self-driving car killing Elaine Herzberg is available on YouTube. It will--or at least should--produce shock waves in the culture. The Silicon Valley cult of Artificial Intelligence (AI) -- and the related cult of brain science -- is a main source of today's cultural despair. If the brain is merely a machine that white-coated lab techs can measure and manipulate like any other machine, and if machines can be programmed to emulate the human brain, then human existence has no purpose. Our destiny is fixed in the same way that the paths of the planets and the orbits of electrons are fixed, and our free will, moral responsibility, devotion to the past and regard for the future are the random effluvia of a deterministic process.

If that is the case, then it doesn't matter what we do. We can pursue whatever pleasures or perversions strike our fancy at the moment, because nothing really matters. We are alone in a hostile universe and find our humanity, if such a thing there be, in arbitrary acts of self-assertion. The highest virtue is to define one's own identity, because only the willful assertion of individual particularity answers the emptiness of the universe, and the next-highest virtue is to reinforce other people's arbitrary self-assertion (for example by eliminating offending male-and-female pronouns in order to protect the sensibilities of transgender people).

That's why Hollywood grinds out movie after movie about computers coming to life, programmers falling in love with their avatars, and so forth, starting with Steven Spielberg's ghastly "AI" (2001). The liberal techno-utopians of Silicon Valley believe they are beneficent Dr. Frankensteins, creating the New Man.

And now we have video of the man behind the curtain.

The video shows a woman walking her bicycle across the highway: the Uber car was going at a good clip and coming over a rise. Not quite three seconds pass between the first sight of the pedestrian and impact, enough time for an alert human driver to spin the wheel. The human driver in the car was supposed to correct for machine errors, but the video shows one Rafaela Vasquez a/k/a Rafael Vasquez staring downwards until the moment of the crash. Reports Arizona's 12News: ...
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/ubers-deat ... l-culture/
Hmmmm, we don't need no humans, we got a computer programed by humans.

_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:38 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 16161
Reputation points: 720
abradley wrote:
Quote:
Spengler
Uber's Death Car and the Cracks in Liberal Culture
By David P. Goldman March 22, 2018
chat 387 comments
self-driving-uber

Video of Uber's self-driving car killing Elaine Herzberg is available on YouTube. It will--or at least should--produce shock waves in the culture. The Silicon Valley cult of Artificial Intelligence (AI) -- and the related cult of brain science -- is a main source of today's cultural despair. If the brain is merely a machine that white-coated lab techs can measure and manipulate like any other machine, and if machines can be programmed to emulate the human brain, then human existence has no purpose. Our destiny is fixed in the same way that the paths of the planets and the orbits of electrons are fixed, and our free will, moral responsibility, devotion to the past and regard for the future are the random effluvia of a deterministic process.

If that is the case, then it doesn't matter what we do. We can pursue whatever pleasures or perversions strike our fancy at the moment, because nothing really matters. We are alone in a hostile universe and find our humanity, if such a thing there be, in arbitrary acts of self-assertion. The highest virtue is to define one's own identity, because only the willful assertion of individual particularity answers the emptiness of the universe, and the next-highest virtue is to reinforce other people's arbitrary self-assertion (for example by eliminating offending male-and-female pronouns in order to protect the sensibilities of transgender people).

That's why Hollywood grinds out movie after movie about computers coming to life, programmers falling in love with their avatars, and so forth, starting with Steven Spielberg's ghastly "AI" (2001). The liberal techno-utopians of Silicon Valley believe they are beneficent Dr. Frankensteins, creating the New Man.

And now we have video of the man behind the curtain.

The video shows a woman walking her bicycle across the highway: the Uber car was going at a good clip and coming over a rise. Not quite three seconds pass between the first sight of the pedestrian and impact, enough time for an alert human driver to spin the wheel. The human driver in the car was supposed to correct for machine errors, but the video shows one Rafaela Vasquez a/k/a Rafael Vasquez staring downwards until the moment of the crash. Reports Arizona's 12News: ...
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/ubers-deat ... l-culture/
Hmmmm, we don't need no humans, we got a computer programed by humans.

First time ever a right wing media is worried about a left-wing dyke riding a bicycle. :roll:

How many times this happens with white male motorists. But of course problem then is with the cyclist; she ran under the the cat on purpose. :lol:

But then, more seriously, there is no need to push new, immature technology too aggressively. IMHO.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 am 
Online
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 16338
Reputation points: 13228
Towards the end of the artricle there's this:
Quote:
One doesn't have to believe in a personal God to understand why the Utopians are crazy. The great British mathematician Roger Penrose (Stephen Hawking's frequent collaborator) wrote a brilliant book nearly thirty years ago arguing from mathematical fundamentals that computers could never think like humans. Penrose is a philosophical Platonist rather than a religious man, but he founded his argument on the work of the great 20th-century logician Kurt Goedel, whose efforts to rescue human intuition from mathematical formalism arose from a deeply religious impulse. The techno-Utopian claims for Artificial Intelligence are not only morally repugnant but scientifically incompetent (as some of the great religious thinkers of our time understood).

It will take more than the avoidable death of Elaine Herzberg to persuade the public to light their torches and march on the castle of the Frankenstein wannabes. Nonetheless the disaster offers a teachable moment. The liberal obsession with arbitrary self-definition rests on the pseudo-scientific premise that we are the determinate, machine-like outcome of physical processes. Destroy this premise and the whole artifice of liberal thinking will crumble.
But since you feel your wiser then Goedel and Penrose.

Me, I'm waiting for Goedl. ;)

_________________
“Political Language… is Designed to Make Lies Sound Truthful… and to Give an Appearance of Solidity to Pure Wind.” — George Orwell


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 16161
Reputation points: 720
abradley wrote:
Towards the end of the artricle there's this:
Quote:
One doesn't have to believe in a personal God to understand why the Utopians are crazy. The great British mathematician Roger Penrose (Stephen Hawking's frequent collaborator) wrote a brilliant book nearly thirty years ago arguing from mathematical fundamentals that computers could never think like humans. Penrose is a philosophical Platonist rather than a religious man, but he founded his argument on the work of the great 20th-century logician Kurt Goedel, whose efforts to rescue human intuition from mathematical formalism arose from a deeply religious impulse. The techno-Utopian claims for Artificial Intelligence are not only morally repugnant but scientifically incompetent (as some of the great religious thinkers of our time understood).

It will take more than the avoidable death of Elaine Herzberg to persuade the public to light their torches and march on the castle of the Frankenstein wannabes. Nonetheless the disaster offers a teachable moment. The liberal obsession with arbitrary self-definition rests on the pseudo-scientific premise that we are the determinate, machine-like outcome of physical processes. Destroy this premise and the whole artifice of liberal thinking will crumble.
But since you feel your wiser then Goedel and Penrose.

Me, I'm waiting for Goedl. ;)

The name is Gödel, Kurt Gödel.

And your Spengler/Goldfinger has no idea what Page Gödel's incompleteness theorems are about, neither have you.

Especially they do not try to prove existence a god, any god.

So hold your horses.

PS. I will continue with AI later. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group