Post subject: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11978
Quote:
GLOBAL AGENDA
AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks

Broadcast on November 18, 2017

Is Artificial Intelligence a threat? Rapid development of AI has prompted global discussion over its potential impacts. Experts debate whether ethics can be a key in reducing the risks.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/ ... a/2047031/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
abradley wrote:
Quote:
GLOBAL AGENDA
AI and Ethics: Overcoming the Risks

Broadcast on November 18, 2017

Is Artificial Intelligence a threat? Rapid development of AI has prompted global discussion over its potential impacts. Experts debate whether ethics can be a key in reducing the risks.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/ ... a/2047031/

Are you afraid that AI will prove that no gods exist? :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:58 pm 
buck private

Quote:
News and Politics
Artificial Intelligence: Dumber Than a 5-Year-Old, No Smarter Than a Rat, Researchers Say
By Rod Kackley December 24, 2017
chat 138 comments
robot at united nations meeting
David Hanson, founder and chief executive officer of Hanson Robotics, brought Sophie the robot to a thematic joint meeting of the UN General Assembly Second Committee and ECOSOC on sustainable development in the age of rapid technological change in New York on Oct. 12, 2017. (Albin Lohr-Jones/Sipa via AP Images)

CEOs dreaming of replacing their whiny, vacation-taking, sick-day-using human employees with a sleek fleet of never-complaining robots powered by artificial intelligence are going to be disappointed to learn AI is far behind the evolution of human development.
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/a ... chers-say/
It still needs a human to program it, is that true for a rat?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
Quote:
News and Politics
Artificial Intelligence: Dumber Than a 5-Year-Old, No Smarter Than a Rat, Researchers Say
By Rod Kackley December 24, 2017
chat 138 comments
robot at united nations meeting
David Hanson, founder and chief executive officer of Hanson Robotics, brought Sophie the robot to a thematic joint meeting of the UN General Assembly Second Committee and ECOSOC on sustainable development in the age of rapid technological change in New York on Oct. 12, 2017. (Albin Lohr-Jones/Sipa via AP Images)

CEOs dreaming of replacing their whiny, vacation-taking, sick-day-using human employees with a sleek fleet of never-complaining robots powered by artificial intelligence are going to be disappointed to learn AI is far behind the evolution of human development.
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/a ... chers-say/
It still needs a human to program it, is that true for a rat?

Obviously you have no idea about the power of machine learning, neural networks and such. The latest example is how self learning neural network base program won over the best hand crafted chess program:

Bruce Sterling wrote:

Deep Mind Alpha Zero’s “Immortal Zugzwang Game” against Stockfish

*IF YOU’VE GOT fifteen minutes to spare for the royal game of chess, you should watch this. It’s Google’s deep learner neural net intuitively smothering the most powerful chess engine in the world. Alpha Zero locks Stockfish into a position where every possible move it can make is either lousy or fatal. “Zugzwang.”

*Commentators are describing the neural net’s attack style as “strangling” or “smothering,” and, although I’m plenty far from a chess expert, I can see that. Alpha Zero just doesn’t number-crunch the situations on the board. It’s doing what neurons do, it seems to resolves situations visually, like the nerves at the back of an eyeball. Watching these Stockfish-Alpha Zero games is like watching a powerful bulldozer utterly baffled by a drone with an overhead view.

*Stockfish plays great and never blunders, but it never has Alpha Zero even remotely in trouble. It’s not even a sporting match; for a genuine fight, Alpha Zero needs to start the game, like, a knight down. After all, it mastered chess in a mere four hours of practice. There’s no way the world’s greatest chess-playing entity is breaking any sweat here. That “zugzwang,” holy cow.

*After watching this, I’m wondering what Alpha Zero would do if you gave it a physics simulacrum of a human body and had it invent martial arts.

Even Stephen Hawking is worried: Stephen Hawking: AI will be the WORST ever invention and could DESTROY us all.

Repeat: self learning neural networks are programmed to learn, not given deteiled instructions. This both fascinating and ... scary.

Deus ex machina. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:
(Snip)

Repeat: self learning neural networks are programmed to learn, not given deteiled instructions. This both fascinating and ... scary.

Yes, saw that in your earlier post.

The key point is "self learning neural networks are programmed to learn,", who programs them?

It all starts with a human brain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
(Snip)

Yes, saw that in your earlier post.

The key point is "self learning neural networks are programmed to learn,", who programs them?

It all starts with a human brain.

Nobody programmed AlphaZero to appreciate bishop pair, the value of open file(s), not to move the same piece over and over again; the heuristics that every chess player knows and are programmed in Stockfish.

But in many games AlphaZero ignores those heuristics and gains advantage. Few positional sacrifices are just out of this world, no human or computer program can analyze them.

The point is that no one programmed AlphaZero to play chess, the rules was given (as metadata I assume), and AlphaZero learned by playing.

But I am afraid I am too much in the Christmas mood to be patient enough to explain more. But if I find an article, or preferably three hours long youtube video, I will post that.

Merry Christmas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:04 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:

The point is that no one programmed AlphaZero to play chess, the rules was given (as metadata I assume), and AlphaZero learned by playing.

But I am afraid I am too much in the Christmas mood to be patient enough to explain more. But if I find an article, or preferably three hours long youtube video, I will post that.

Merry Christmas.
"... Nobody programmed AlphaZero ..." Then how was the program born? Did it just appear?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 am 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:

Merry Christmas.
"... Nobody programmed AlphaZero ..." Then how was the program born? Did it just appear?

Nobody programmed AlphaZero to play chess. ;)

Read this: DeepMind.

But now I can understand your frustration when you try to show me finesses of the Catholic Theology; margaritas ante porcos.

Salut.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:23 am 
buck private

nero wrote:

But now I can understand your frustration when you try to show me finesses of the Catholic Theology; margaritas ante porcos.

Salut.
No you don't.

I will ask, did the computer have a program ... any program?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:29 am 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:

Salut.
No you don't.

I will ask, did the computer have a program ... any program?

There is a program indeed, just like a new born child is programmed to learn. ;)

Profile E-mail