It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Prosperity through Peace Alone: Germany After the Great War,
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
What if?:
Quote:
Prosperity through Peace Alone: Germany After the Great War, 1933

Greetings and welcome. I intend, in the following updates, to relay to you, the reader, a fascinating story of “what could have been.”

In this AAR we shall witness the continuing survival of the Weimar Republic – the sickly child of Europe, an unstable and unsure creation of the Treaty of Versailles – in the face of the most dangerous enemies to the German nation, both from without and within. The Germany of our timeline must overcome the crushing debt and unemployment that the Great Depression brought to the world; she must stabilize herself politically and ensure the defeat of the Reich's domestic enemies; and she must secure for herself – and all democratic nations, if it comes to it – a free world devoid of that foul scourge that is communism.

I will be using Mixed Mod on DH v1.03. All difficulty levels will be set to normal. IC takeover will be on. I will be writing in a “textbook” format/style; forgive me if my narration grows boring or the like. Germany will remain democratic – but for how long exactly, we shall have to wait and see.

“Prosperity can come through peace alone. The German people are in favor of all possible means to make war impossible …. I have seen three wars. A man who has seen three wars never will wish another war. He must be a friend of peace.”
-- Paul von Hindenburg
(Continued)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... 33.874237/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Prosperity through Peace Alone: Germany After the Great
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm 
buck private

On page 2 there's this Things are looking up. Hopefully this Democratic Germany AAR won't end with the Republic overrun by the Soviet Union, like the last one.

Would like to see the 'last one' that's mention, what were German mistakes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:11 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Which game is that?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Anthropoid wrote:
Which game is that?

Hearts of Iron IV

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm 
First Sergeant

Mac wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Which game is that?

Hearts of Iron IV

So . . . A World War II military strategy game, right? Is it a mod that allows an earlier start and which also allows for more sandbox playstyle, i.e., Germany pursuing peaceful path? If so, how does the engine handle the behavior of all the computer-opponent nations? I mean . . . given Germany was one of the main aggressors, is there any real CHALLENGE to playing Germany as a peaceful nation!? :shock:

Don't take me the wrong way: I adore the idea of a "20th century geopolitical simulator game" which is thorough and detailed enough to represent all the interwar dynamics as well as WWII itself as well as plausible alternate histories and beyond WWII up to say the 1960s. Such a game is something I've dreamed of for years.

To a very "coarse" degree, I'd say EU does this for the post-Medieval through Napoleonic eras reasonably well (the combat sucks balls but ah well). Vicki seemed to do a passable job for the Colonial era. But I was under the impression HoI was specifically focused on modelling WWII, not so much on modeling broad historical periods at the global scale?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
So . . . A World War II military strategy game, right? Is it a mod that allows an earlier start and which also allows for more sandbox playstyle, i.e., Germany pursuing peaceful path? If so, how does the engine handle the behavior of all the computer-opponent nations? I mean . . . given Germany was one of the main aggressors, is there any real CHALLENGE to playing Germany as a peaceful nation!? :shock:
Considering the Soviets overran them in the other AAR there seems to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 pm 
First Sergeant

abradley wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Considering the Soviets overran them in the other AAR there seems to be.

:P

Interesting!

One of the things I've always disliked in Paradox grand strategy titles, and this applies to Stellaris, Arsenal of Democracy, the EU games, Vicki and every other one I've played but cannot recall the name of: the national computer opponents are not too smart about who they befriend versus estrange and who they pick fights with. The computer opponents in Civilization III were in my opinion, MUCH better. Hell, even those in Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition were better!

Far too often in an EU title I've seen things like: Ridiculous Wars in Vicky 2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Anthropoid wrote:
Is it a mod that allows an earlier start and which also allows for more sandbox playstyle, i.e., Germany pursuing peaceful path?

The vanilla game gives you a choice of two start dates, Jan 1st 1936 or Aug 14th 1939. Chi or Banana could tell you more, they are both regular players. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18408

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 pm 
First Sergeant

Well . . . 1936 is a bit LATE to steer Germany on an alternative "peaceful" path isn't it!? :)

I'd say 1920 might be a good time to start! Possibly a bit later, but certainly no later than 1929.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
Anthropoid wrote:
Well . . . 1936 is a bit LATE to steer Germany on an alternative "peaceful" path isn't it!? :)

I'd say 1920 might be a good time to start! Possibly a bit later, but certainly no later than 1929.

There are a ton of player created mods in this game (HoI 4). All the player created mods are free.

There are mods that allow you to refight WW 1 (Kaiserreich mods).
There are modern day mods (Millennium Dawn) that start with either the year 2000or 2016.

I think that their are even mods in which aliens invade earth. ;-)

And then there are many smaller mods that tinker with smaller details of the vanilla game (enhanced graphics, enhanced units, etc.).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail