It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: HEMA stuff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts. No bullshido, none of that "warrior spirit" crap or ignoring a thrust to opponent's eye. You kill your opponent, you kill him, regardless of whether some sensei thinks you've got warrior spirit or not. And no "right of way" bullshit as in Olympic fencing that merely prompts people to initiate the attack at wrong point simply to get the right of way immunity before the opponent.

This is the art of using weapons and wrestling to - if need be - kill your enemy. And above all else, you want to come out of a fight alive, unlike in Bullshido where you're ready to sacrifice your fencing master against a peasant because "there's no defense for the sake of defense". You are trying to kill the enemy while staying alive.

This is the art of fighting, as best derived from historical sources and reconstructed over painstaking efforts of decades of hard work.

I wanted to emphasize that this is a martial art. It isn't about winning a tournament, although tournaments exist. It isn't about wooing the judges. It isn't about creating made up abstract rules to make things more interesting or better fitting to Olympic arenas.

At it's core it is about the art of killing, using every bit of your weapon to achieve this and when need be even resorting to wrestling moves, kicks and punches.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HEMA stuff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:02 am 

First bit of news - a new school is opening up in Dallas.

https://www.dallashistoricalfencing.com/

Do you live near Dallas? Definitely worth checking it out - as they say on their front page

Real training. Real history. Real swordplay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
Kameolontti wrote:

Do you live near Dallas? Definitely worth checking it out - as they say on their front page

I believe that 2nd Acr is the only board member that lives in/near Dallas.

I think that Nelmsman also lives in Texas lives near the Western Panhandle of Texas (probably 300 miles or more from Dallas).

Where I live (central Florida) is more than 1100 miles from Dallas.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 am 

chijohnaok wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:

I believe that 2nd Acr is the only board member that lives in/near Dallas.

I think that Nelmsman also lives in Texas lives near the Western Panhandle of Texas (probably 300 miles or more from Dallas).

Where I live (central Florida) is more than 1100 miles from Dallas.

There's the club finder, it shows a number of clubs across Florida too.
https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am 

Fencing really benefits from higher frame rate, such as 50 or 60.

An experimental 'continuous' duel from Swordfish - the idea is that there are no breaks in the match and fencers continue to fight until time is called, ideally without interruptions.

Points are rewarded only after the time has been called.

Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Quote:
And no "right of way" bullshit as in Olympic fencing that merely prompts people to initiate the attack at wrong point simply to get the right of way immunity before the opponent.

I was decent at O-fencing but really got tired of the right of way bullshit that separates the "decent" players like me from the "great" fencers. You can have a parry which is little more than a slight wrist gesture that "negates" an attack whether or not the attack hits, and as you noted have these bullshit ineffective spoiling attacks that just seize right of way immunity.

Nearest I got to really liking things was sabre, because I had a long arm and a good feint, so I could spoil your average joe's "parry" by avoiding any metal contact at all.

These days I am of the opinion that the best martial weapons are firearms, crossbows, compound bows, and a short sword or cutlass, in that order.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm 

mdiehl wrote:
Quote:
And no "right of way" bullshit as in Olympic fencing that merely prompts people to initiate the attack at wrong point simply to get the right of way immunity before the opponent.

I was decent at O-fencing but really got tired of the right of way bullshit that separates the "decent" players like me from the "great" fencers. You can have a parry which is little more than a slight wrist gesture that "negates" an attack whether or not the attack hits, and as you noted have these bullshit ineffective spoiling attacks that just seize right of way immunity.

Nearest I got to really liking things was sabre, because I had a long arm and a good feint, so I could spoil your average joe's "parry" by avoiding any metal contact at all.

These days I am of the opinion that the best martial weapons are firearms, crossbows, compound bows, and a short sword or cutlass, in that order.

And here I was thinking of stopping a Russian armored brigade with a bunch of longswords!

Fencing has absolutely zero use today. There's no conceivable situation ever that warrants carrying a sword around when you're expecting to potentially have to fight... PDWs such as short shotguns, smg's and pistols cover all your short range needs. The only situation where you need a sword or a dagger is when you cross a corner and there's a guy with a sword behind it. In this case an actual sword allows you to parry or even slice off his arm whereas a pistol might overpenetrate. Then again I'd just go around carefully with a short shotgun, it ought to do the trick.

The only reason for doing fencing is because you want to fence. With HEMA it is a part of history hobby, learning how it was done in the past to gain a better understanding of it all while also having fun.

There's also room for serious mental development and cultivation. You need a certain attitude to fence. I'm personally looking forward to at some point fencing with sharps but alas my skills aren't there yet. It requires quite a bit of control among other things - and trust.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 am 

Related - Russian women showing some sword skills

https://www.facebook.com/russiabeyond/videos/10155847580588529/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532