Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Here I Stand: Conscience, Reformation, and Religious Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:21 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
1517 and we're at 2017.
Quote:
Here I Stand: Conscience, Reformation, and Religious Freedom Across the Centuries
https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/ev ... -centuries
On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther published his Ninety-Five Theses urging sweeping religious reforms and catalyzing the Protestant Reformation. The Reformation unleashed an intensified focus on freedom of conscience, with dramatic social and political consequences. It fostered new notions of religious liberty as well as new frameworks for civic life. At the same time, the Reformation built upon centuries of Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox theologies of conscience, dignity, and freedom in ways that are not always understood.

This symposium will explore these dynamics, but also examine how Christianity per se has unleashed distinctive and powerful principles of conscience and freedom across its 2,000-year history, even in the face of what Pope Francis has called the “ecumenism of blood”—the severe religious persecution affecting numerous Christian and non-Christian communities around the world.

This symposium is co-sponsored by the Witherspoon Institute and the Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion and commemorates the launch of the two-volume series Christianity and Freedom.
Not sure if any live in shouting distance of the symposium, the link has all the info, map, schedules, and the speakers.

Might be interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Here I Stand: Conscience, Reformation, and Religious Fre
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
abradley wrote:
1517 and we're at 2017.
Quote:
Here I Stand: Conscience, Reformation, and Religious Freedom Across the Centuries
On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther published his Ninety-Five Theses urging sweeping religious reforms and catalyzing the Protestant Reformation. The Reformation unleashed an intensified focus on freedom of conscience, with dramatic social and political consequences. It fostered new notions of religious liberty as well as new frameworks for civic life. At the same time, the Reformation built upon centuries of Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox theologies of conscience, dignity, and freedom in ways that are not always understood.

This symposium will explore these dynamics, but also examine how Christianity per se has unleashed distinctive and powerful principles of conscience and freedom across its 2,000-year history, even in the face of what Pope Francis has called the “ecumenism of blood”—the severe religious persecution affecting numerous Christian and non-Christian communities around the world.

This symposium is co-sponsored by the Witherspoon Institute and the Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion and commemorates the launch of the two-volume series Christianity and Freedom.
Not sure if any live in shouting distance of the symposium, the link has all the info, map, schedules, and the speakers.

Might be interesting.

Thanks for posting that. Sadly, I am nowhere close to Georgetown U, otherwise I might have attended.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:54 am 
buck private

chijohnaok wrote:
Thanks for posting that. Sadly, I am nowhere close to Georgetown U, otherwise I might have attended.
THX, though long and hard about the posting, was interested in reminding everyone of the anniversary ... it was a historical event.

Now a bit more on the subject:
Quote:
Martin Luther on Trial

Max McLean is the artistic director for the Fellowship of Performing Arts, and he is no stranger to Christians. He has adapted and performed some of C. S. Lewis’ works, has given dramatic presentations of Genesis and Mark’s Gospel, and has as well narrated the Bible in several translations – and on and on! His presentation of Luther’s "Here I Stand" is wonderful. McLean partnered with Chris Cragin-Day, a professor and accomplished playwright, to write "Martin Luther on Trial."

So, what of the play? Let's approach it from two angles.

Artistic evaluation: as theater
(Continued)
https://pjmedia.com/faith/martin-luther ... rt-finish/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
When I was a child attending a Lutheran elementary school in Chicago, we (the students) all watched the following movie about Martin Luther in school. It's from 1953.

Andy, I realize that you are Roman Catholic, but if you are willing to watch a movie about a "rebel" then give it a look. ;-)

There was also another movie about Luther that was made in 2003. I saw that one in the movie theaters.
I found a trailer for that version:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
abradley wrote:
1517 and we're at 2017.
Quote:

Might be interesting.

Isn't this some 500 years too late, you missed the train, by 500 years. The U.S. Is Retreating from Religion. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:18 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:
Isn't this some 500 years too late, you missed the train, by 500 years. The U.S. Is Retreating from Religion. ;)
Old news.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 pm 
buck private

chijohnaok wrote:
When I was a child attending a Lutheran elementary school in Chicago, we (the students) all watched the following movie about Martin Luther in school. It's from 1953.

[youtube]{Snip}[/youtube]

Andy, I realize that you are Roman Catholic, but if you are willing to watch a movie about a "rebel" then give it a look. ;-)

There was also another movie about Luther that was made in 2003. I saw that one in the movie theaters.
I found a trailer for that version:

[youtube]{Snip}[/youtube]
Will watch the movie some time this weekend.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:59 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
I liked the Luther (2003).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Often wondered if the Lex Luthor character was some sort of indirect reference to the historically most important Luther in Western civilization. Luthor does concern himself with moral orders, and despises Superman for his "Godlike" fraudulence.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail