All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: First They Killed My Father
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
abradley wrote:
Soddy-Daisy, the Joyce Kilmer National Forest, and Bohemia ... heck I thought I was traveled. I ain't! :cry:

Life is a journey.

We are all travelers by design

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:31 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
Breaking news: the number of places you've visited is directly proportional to your intelligence!

Also, only the places you have visited count towards your smug score. If someone else has visited a different place it doesn't count.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Anthropoid wrote:
abradley wrote:
Soddy-Daisy, the Joyce Kilmer National Forest, and Bohemia ... heck I thought I was traveled. I ain't! :cry:

Life is a journey.

We are all travelers by design

Helsinki.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 am 
First Sergeant

*Not sure if trolling or devolving head deeper up own ass . . .* :shock:

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Kameolontti wrote:
Breaking news: the number of places you've visited is directly proportional to your intelligence!

Also, only the places you have visited count towards your smug score. If someone else has visited a different place it doesn't count.

;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Anthropoid wrote:
*Not sure if trolling or devolving head deeper up own ass . . .* :shock:

Now I see my pun is gone wasted. :roll:

nero wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Fucking retard Bohemians. When and where has there EVER been a national "Communist" regime that did NOT immediately descend into dictatorial terror!? Never would be the answer to that.

I do not find the Czech retarded, they have very sound view about communism. Have you ever been there?

Do prdele! :twisted:

I was just trying to poke fun on Bohemians and bohemians. You should have used lower case with your "bohemians".

Bohemians with capital 'B' are the people who live in Bohemia.

Sorry about the confusion, perhaps my nitpicking is just too nuanced for you. ;)

But then my conclusion is that the number of places you have visited is proportional to the thickness of your wallet. But this does not apply to hippies, hobos and vagabonds.

Peace, man.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 am 

Airports are largely the same in all places. So are cities, minor differences here and there.

People on the surface are largely the same too and even in countries that have awful human rights abuses and such a random tourist might run into a ton of nice people.

I fail to see what great insights can be offered through visiting x number of places instead of y, || x > y > 0

Then again I do know a couple of people who have never left their home town, except once when they visited the nearby city. One of them was the stereotypical hillbilly type, another one was quite well read and educated.

Just like we cannot simply say that a given person is a complete moron for living in X city, we cannot say that another person is a complete moron for living in Y rural area.

Perhaps if I try to arrive at some insight from my own travels, whether you go to a city or a rural area, the number of ignorant people is roughly the same. Having written a thesis work doesn't remove deep rooted ignorance, in best cases the ignorance is just better versed with a wider vocabulary and cherry picked sources.

I've seen that attitude is more important than education. Education can only grow fruit on fertile soil. Experience only nourishes fruits that grow, it is wasted on dirt.

"But then my conclusion is that the number of places you have visited is proportional to the thickness of your wallet. But this does not apply to hippies, hobos and vagabonds."

Agreed. There are a lot of rich kids who feel that they are gaining invaluable life experience by visiting a ton of places.

To me it was good to travel for I was raised thinking Finland was somehow special. I learned that it wasn't, it's just another place with it's people being just another group of people sharing a location.
But this did not explain the differences in living standards, laws, culture and attitudes. Culture does, ideologies and religions are the flour from which a culture is baked. Culture influences everything and laws and attitudes are reflections of culture.

To get more out of a visit you'd need to be looking out for certain things such as cultural differences.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 am 
First Sergeant

Quote:
ducation can only grow fruit on fertile soil. Experience only nourishes fruits that grow, it is wasted on dirt.

Imminently sig worthy! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

Anthropoid wrote:
Quote:
ducation can only grow fruit on fertile soil. Experience only nourishes fruits that grow, it is wasted on dirt.

Imminently sig worthy! :D

I need to resign my career in software and start writing fortune cookie texts.

Profile E-mail