maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism isn't Edgy or Amazing- It's Dying Out Worldwide
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11156

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2181
Anthropoid wrote:

But what is the question? :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9875
nero wrote:
abradley wrote:

Can't argue with this.

Is that a proof that a god exists? :shock:
Is that what that video is about?

Besides, ain't trying to prove God exists, have tried to point out we don't know where all the 'stuff' in the previous videos came from.

And yes, the Universe is beautiful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11156
We will keep groping forward, and perhaps eventually we will get a glimpse of "the face of God"

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2181
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
Is that a proof that a god exists? :shock:
Is that what that video is about?

Besides, ain't trying to prove God exists, have tried to point out we don't know where all the 'stuff' in the previous videos came from.

And yes, the Universe is beautiful.

I don't waste my precious time for watching your stupid videos. This time it was actually short enough, not the normal 1:20:00 long ones. But I started to puke @ 1:20. :(

I am just curious if I missed something really important. :roll:

Alle lujaa (Finnish Salvation Army girl troop's battle cry). I know. :mrgreen:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:
I don't waste my precious time for watching your stupid videos. This time it was actually short enough, not the normal 1:20:00 long ones. But I started to puke @ 1:20. :(

Alle lujaa (Finnish Salvation Army girl troop's battle cry). I know. :mrgreen:
Then don't .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 13926
nero wrote:

I gave it a go, just seems like some guy getting antsy about people bitching about his choice of a name in YouTube. Not really sure where Andy was trying to go with that. :?

The catholic school I went to as a kid must have been shit. I never found out the meaning of Metatron until I watched Dogma long after I left...

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 pm 
buck private

Mac wrote:
nero wrote:

I gave it a go, just seems like some guy getting antsy about people bitching about his choice of a name in YouTube. Not really sure where Andy was trying to go with that. :?

The catholic school I went to as a kid must have been shit. I never found out the meaning of Metatron until I watched Dogma long after I left...

He does describe how translating bible passages is iffy.

As for his complaining about the 'Metatron' complaints, Metatron must be an Italian thing don't remember it from school.

Why did I post it ... don't remember.

But it must have been a very, very good reason.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:09 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
C_S wrote:
What contains the universe? And what contains what contains it? It must end but what is beyond it, nothingness?

At what point does the universe "end". It must end, and it must have began. Where did the universe 'begin'? Where could it 'begin' - among what? What existed before the universe existed? A nothingness? Where did it exist, and what contained it?

My mind is blown. I've thought about this a lot. There's no conclusion. Ppl have absolutely no idea how anything exists, or what nothing exists. Where would nothing exist?

8-)

Universe and space aren't. That's the thing. What we refer to as Universe are the things that are, really, not the space.

Try this - space is nothing but a construct to help facilitate a useful interaction and analysis scheme so that we can work with the relations of different things that are. Distance is simply a relation between any two things that are. That there is distance doesn't result in space actually existing. Space is an abstract invention derived from our sensory system and how it works. No one designed our sensory system, it's literally a pile of rocks that fell from a cliff that someone started to live in and after trying to create a space large enough to dwell decided was worth being called 'cathedral' although no actual architecture or design was involved, just different processes that without any desire or willpower shaped it like running river shapes the riverbed to one that offers least resistance.

So, do not be concerned with how vast space is and such things. Only consider your distances to various other things. The maximum distance you can reach to everything else is exactly what it is - the maximum distance you can reach. And for some near fatalistic assertion, good luck climbing out of this gravity well during your life time. If we imagine a space ship some day traveling to such a position that every other object is further away than the nearest object and these distances are increased arbitrarily, what difference does that take? There is no other limit to how much you can grow those distances than your ability to do so.

Hence; everything flows. Whole Cosmos for a living thing is about trades. You can purchase things by trading them for other things - but even then you gotta have something to trade in.

-----
As for the previous conversation about atheists and agnostics, there's a clear overlap region between how the terms are used. I am most certainly atheist in the sense that I have no more reason to believe in this than that. Agnosticism seems to make an assertion that such things are unknowable. I make no assertions either way. I do not believe in anything supernatural, I do not believe in the possibility of supernatural. If something remarkable exists, it exists within laws of nature or even perhaps as some supermechanism for changing them which then requires it's own set of rules to describe - which themselves could be beyond the capability of our current form to discern due to inability to make the necessary observations.

So, if I see someone come up and start pulling planets out of it's ass then it would be obvious that such a planet pulling thing would exist. As I understood agnosticists may have an idea that such a thing isn't possible - that a powerful entity would reveal itself to us or be encountered in action by us?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 am 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next