maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism isn't Edgy or Amazing- It's Dying Out Worldwide
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
The Atheist Bible
https://suchanek.name/texts/atheism/index.html#TOC
An atheist’s view on life, the universe, and everything

© 2006-2017 Fabian M. Suchanek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2526
abradley wrote:
The Atheist Bible
https://suchanek.name/texts/atheism/index.html#TOC
An atheist’s view on life, the universe, and everything

© 2006-2017 Fabian M. Suchanek

And now you think that everyone who does't think that there is silly.

Just because you believe that there is one.

So, show me the one. ;)

Try. :twisted: :twisted:

There has to be a god because... :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11948
Atheists don't have a bible. To have a bible you have to have a hierarchy that decides what goes into it. Atheists do not have a hierarchy.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
I am Fabian Suchanek, a full professor at Télécom ParisTech University in Paris. I am in the DBWeb Team in Computer Science.
https://suchanek.name/

No good deed goes unpunished.
Quote:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bible
(lowercase) any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable:
He regarded that particular bird book as the birdwatchers' bible.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Erroneous "definition."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
EUBanana wrote:
Maybe so, but what we can say with a great deal of confidence (though not 100%, because it's unfalsifiable ) is lying beyond the Big Bang is NOT the Catholic god, or Quetzalcoatl, or Thor.

Deism and the like is certainly possible, and I think even Dawkins acknowledges this, but deism, or pantheism, is not what actual IRL religion is. Actual religions, rather than the notion of god as a concept, make certain assertions and statements which we can choose to agree with or not. And they do that for good reason, because a deistic god simply doesn't matter. It's unfalsifiable of course but it's also by definition irrelevant so that's not something actual religions, which have secular power, want to a push.

Like, Andy is a Catholic, so presumably as a good Catholic he believes in the concept of papal infallibility. I think the evidence for any human, including the Pope, being infallible is completely non-existent, so that's that dogma in the bin right there.

Dawkins (at least in God Delusion) states quite explicitly that 'There IS NO GOD(s). Science has shown that this is impossible.'

He is a hard-core Atheist, which is why I loath what he has transformed into. His evolutionary stuff was fantastic. Why he insisted on becoming an Atheist Preacher i cannot fathom.

That aside . . . yes I agree. "Religion" as it manifests here on Earth mostly seems to be imagination. BUT, if there is something inside very Black Hole, or some flying spaghetti monster which lies before, beyond and within the Big Bang and the Universe, it is conceivable that it is somehow (perhaps inadvertently) providing some clues to its existence which science has yet to empirically observe.

Dark matter and Dark energy in my opinion blow the lid off of the sort of Scientific absolutism which Dawkins (and probably Midol) represent.

We do not understand 95% of the universe, and the most important forces shaping the evolution of the cosmos are essentially invisible to us. They might as well be magic because that is how well they are presently understood. Because the scale at which the effects of these forces manifest and make their presence known is so gargantuan, our efforts to observe them more directly, and to pin down exactly what they "are" may well prove to be elusive for a very long time. They are really nothing more than concepts, mental constructs to reconcile physical models of the evolution of the universe which otherwise "break" without the concepts in place. Meaning: the universe, at large scales does NOT behave how Newtonian physics predicted, nor even how General relativity predicted. "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" are concepts that represent some magic constants plugged into various formula to make the observed behavior of the universe fit with the prevailing models.

In sum: the questions raised by Dark Matter and Dark Energy suggest the unsettling possibility that our prevailing models of gravity, electromagnetism, and even the strong force (three of the four "fundamental interactions" in physics), while apparently quite valid for explaining observations that are reasonably proximate to human observers in space-time (perhaps out to say Andromeda galaxy), may in fact be incomplete or even wrong, points which are only revealed by observations of things much farther away and in the past.

This does not represent an existential crisis of physics and an need for "religion" to fill the gap. Religion is even WORSE for trying to make sense of these things! But we humans may remain in a very bad position to make scientific sense of these things for a very long time, possibly forever.

I personally do not believe in any religious notions and do not imagine that I have the faintest inkling of what the fuck is going on in the cosmos. I try to be as humble and unassuming of amoeba as I can possibly be.

Abrad chooses to believe in a ritualized political tradition that passes for a cosmological guide and represents a syncretization of Roman polytheism and Judaism. Dawkins chooses to believe in a false notion that science is all-knowing and all-seeing and what it sees is a universe in which all order derives from physical laws and random chance (and omits the fact that the most important physical laws [Dark Matter and Dark Energy] were not even "discovered" until the last ~80 and ~30 years respectively, and in fact still have not truly been "discovered' in the same sense that the Oxygen molecule or the DNA structure or any other directly empirically observable phenomenon has been discovered . . .).

Jwilk and I choose to remain completely undecided. Don't know. He says also "don't care," (which I'm not so sure about for myself), I say "Might be impossible to know, so . . . who cares!?"

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
One reason I say "don't care" ... is because my longest standing BFF, who is some sort of 3rd century sect of catholic, while he can accept that I "don't know" ... still assumes that I must be totally dominated by the NEED to know ... to know the ANSWER ... "how did all this come to be?" ... he knows the answer ... and so assumes I must desperately WANT TO KNOW the answer as well ... and I don't ... I used to ... back when we were 10 and laid up at night debating the topic ad nauseam (he was a "skeptic" then as well) ... but I don't care any more ... I really don't ... "don't know" ... "don't care" ... that is the truth ... so help me nada-god ... :)

So, it helps shift past a lot of intermediate discussion when I remind him ... "I don't care" ...

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2526
jwilkerson wrote:
One reason I say "don't care" ... is because my longest standing BFF, who is some sort of 3rd century sect of catholic, while he can accept that I "don't know" ... still assumes that I must be totally dominated by the NEED to know ... to know the ANSWER ... "how did all this come to be?" ... he knows the answer ... and so assumes I must desperately WANT TO KNOW the answer as well ... and I don't ... I used to ... back when we were 10 and laid up at night debating the topic ad nauseam (he was a "skeptic" then as well) ... but I don't care any more ... I really don't ... "don't know" ... "don't care" ... that is the truth ... so help me nada-god ... :)

So, it helps shift past a lot of intermediate discussion when I remind him ... "I don't care" ...

:)

My position is that if those people with religion do not harm you, there is no use to argue with them about the existent of god(s).

So this opinion puts me to the agnostic camp. But it is more about laziness. :lol:

But sometimes it is kind funny to argue with Andy about how many zillions of angels can dance on the tip of a needle. And such of theological things.

But in that particular needle case probably there is confusion between angels and bacteria. Or is this insight a new break trough, a new revelation about the true nature of the angels.

:roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
Quote:
... My position is that if those people with religion do not harm you, there is no use to argue with them about the existent of god(s).

So this opinion puts me to the agnostic camp. But it is more about laziness ...

Now a days I do not argue with the proselytes ... but I sure used to ... they would come knock on my door and want to "argue" (in the mathematical sense) for hours and I would entertain them ... but I guess I got burned out on that ... I don't do it anymore and have not for eons ...

I work with Hebes and Christians and buddhists and hindoos and moozlims and others ... and I pay them no mind ... I treat them all the same ... I only worry about getting the work done. And 99.9% of the time they behave like normal people and there are no issues. The highest frequency problems are between the "north" and "south" Indians (ruby kind ... i.e. the Indian hindoos and indian moozlims ... they can't leave each other alone ... so that has to be managed) but otherwise, you wouldn't know there was any issue with anyone.

And welcome to the (religious) lazy camp ... I finally made it there as well ... :)

==

I do like one of my BFFs recent quotes ... I guess I was trying to list out criteria for establishing the belief in the existence of "howard" (my normal word for "god" is howard ... I think that comes from an olde SNL in which someone said "Our Father Who Art in Heaven - Howard Be They Name" ... that stuck in my head and I still can't get it out) .... and he replied "God is not a door knob" ... and that one stuck in my head as well! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:17 am 
Sergeant Major

My position is that there is no evidence to support the existence of Howard therefore claims made by devotees of Howard about Howards goals, intentions, demands, etc are meritless and suspect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next