maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism isn't Edgy or Amazing- It's Dying Out Worldwide
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
nero wrote:
... This Jordan Peterson gives me same feelings: utter nonsense. ;)
That's you, not me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
... This Jordan Peterson gives me same feelings: utter nonsense. ;)
That's you, not me.

You are faith based, I am not. ;)

Blind Faith:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:
You are faith based, I am not. ;)

Blind Faith:

You believe in something from nothing, IMHO that's 'Faith Based'.

I can almost understand this, but it sounds good. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:34 pm 
buck private

Back to 'Atheism isn't Edgy or Amazing- It's Dying Out Worldwide':

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15800
It does rather seem like another dark age of ignorance and superstition will be upon us by the end of the 21st century.

The good old days, when i had no idea what Ramadan was and could slag off anybodys beliefs without risk of the coppers knocking on my door at 2am, were a much better time than now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
It does rather seem like another dark age of ignorance and superstition will be upon us by the end of the 21st century.

The good old days, when i had no idea what Ramadan was and could slag off anybodys beliefs without risk of the coppers knocking on my door at 2am, were a much better time than now.

Right.

I don't see anything good with 1.5 billion more muslims in Africa, or the same amount of christians if that matters. But both is bound to happen, when the African population grows from current one billion to four during the next hundred years. :twisted:

Atheism is not dying, the explosion of religion in the less developed world is diluting the increasing atheism in the 1st world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
To me there is a difference between "knowing something" ... and "accepting something on faith".

For example, I say I do not "know" reality exists, I accept it on faith. Arguably, I do not "know" anything. If "to know" means "to know absolutely". I do not think I know anything absolutely. But I choose my words carefully. I do not think I can know that I do not know anything absolutely. I have to accept that on faith.

In mathematical or logical system terms "accept on faith" could be translated to "an assumption". So restated, I assume reality exists and I assume I know nothing absolutely.

I know nothing.

That must be pretty unstatisfying for both the theists and the anti-theists ... hence they somehow know absolutely that something exists when at the same time, they accept it on faith. That sort of mental gymnastics eludes me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
jwilkerson wrote:
To me there is a difference between "knowing something" ... and "accepting something on faith".

For example, I say I do not "know" reality exists, I accept it on faith. Arguably, I do not "know" anything. If "to know" means "to know absolutely". I do not think I know anything absolutely. But I choose my words carefully. I do not think I can know that I do not know anything absolutely. I have to accept that on faith.

In mathematical or logical system terms "accept on faith" could be translated to "an assumption". So restated, I assume reality exists and I assume I know nothing absolutely.

I know nothing.

That must be pretty unstatisfying for both the theists and the anti-theists ... hence they somehow know absolutely that something exists when at the same time, they accept it on faith. That sort of mental gymnastics eludes me.

Yep, I'm not sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15800
jwilkerson wrote:

I know nothing.

You can take anything on faith though. Literally anything.

If you want to believe the moon is made from green cheese and the earth is flat, then whatever. I think it's irrational, but that's your bidness. Organised religion is more than just personal beliefs though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Organised religion is more than just personal beliefs though.

Much more.

I have y-chromosome-bottleneck thread where genetic evidence suggest that few males could reproduce during neolithic stone age. That indicates a very hierarchical, unequal system; few owned the most and the hoi-polloi were just servants of the ruling class.

It is no coincidence that organized religion begun at that time. A control system was needed to prove that ruling class had divine mandate to rule and own most of the goods (and women).

It started with farming, and farming started because people wanted beer.

Cheers, slainte, kippis, skål.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next