maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism isn't Edgy or Amazing- It's Dying Out Worldwide
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
Quote:
Once Again, Science Reinforces Christian Belief
By Michael Walsh December 2, 2017
chat 86 comments
(AP Photo/Sebastian Scheiner)

The recent renovations at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher have revealed that the traditional burial site of Jesus Christ does in fact date back to Roman times:

Over the centuries, Jerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulchre has suffered violent attacks, fires, and earthquakes. It was totally destroyed in 1009 and subsequently rebuilt, leading modern scholars to question whether it could possibly be the site identified as the burial place of Christ by a delegation sent from Rome some 17 centuries ago.

Now the results of scientific tests provided to National Geographic appear to confirm that the remains of a limestone cave enshrined within the church are remnants of the tomb located by the ancient Romans. Mortar sampled from between the original limestone surface of the tomb and a marble slab that covers it has been dated to around A.D. 345. According to historical accounts, the tomb was discovered by the Romans and enshrined around 326.

To Christians, this hardly comes as a surprise. The world's oldest institution traces its unbroken lineage to Jesus of Nazareth, and the gates of Hell have so far not prevailed against it.
(Cont.)
https://pjmedia.com/faith/science-reinf ... an-belief/
National Geographic article w/video
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Unbroken lineage except for the 310-315 year break between Heysus' death in A.D. 30-33 and the building of the temple...

Shrug.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 am 
buck private

Yes, that's what the article sez.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
What's funny these days is that I am increasingly finding that my religion is Christian.

I am also atheist.

How does this work out?

Simple. I don't believe in gods, angels and none of that.

Religion:
a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion

It's alternate definition implies nothing supernatural. All of my values and much of how I view the world is heavily derived from Christian philosophy, especially the Nordic Lutheran variety of it. Respect towards hard work, intrinsic value of humans, value of law and order etc.

It turns that I am atheist but not without a religion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

I would suggest that valuing hard work, (reasonable) laws, (reasonable enforcement of) order, etc is not a christian value but rather an expression of self-interest, which expression varies world wide. Cross culturally, hard work tends to be praised (if not necessarily fairly rewarded), enforcement of laws, etc. No one, to name one example of thousands available, in Dynastic Egypt was a christian but they still valued skilled, motivated workers, and enforced laws.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm 
buck private

Kameolontti wrote:
What's funny these days is that I am increasingly finding that my religion is Christian.

I am also atheist.

How does this work out?

Simple. I don't believe in gods, angels and none of that.

Religion:
a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion

It's alternate definition implies nothing supernatural. All of my values and much of how I view the world is heavily derived from Christian philosophy, especially the Nordic Lutheran variety of it. Respect towards hard work, intrinsic value of humans, value of law and order etc.

It turns that I am atheist but not without a religion.
One of my favorite sociologists is Rodney Stark, his religious background is was raised Lutheran, but by the time he was producing papers and books he was:
Quote:
Personal religious faith
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_St ... ious_faith
In their 1987 book A Theory of Religion, Stark and Bainbridge describe themselves as "personally incapable of religious faith".[8] While reluctant to discuss his own religious views, he stated in a 2004 interview that he was not a man of faith, but also not an atheist.[9] In a 2007 interview, after accepting an appointment at Baylor University, Stark indicated that his self-understanding had changed and that he could now be described as an "independent Christian." In this interview Stark recollects that he has "always been a “cultural” Christian" understood by him as having "been strongly committed to Western Civilization." Of his previous positions he wrote: "I was never an atheist, but I probably could have been best described as an agnostic."[10]

A list of his books in on the same page.

About 40:00 he describes life in ancient times.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 15171
mdiehl wrote:
I would suggest that valuing hard work, (reasonable) laws, (reasonable enforcement of) order, etc is not a christian value but rather an expression of self-interest, which expression varies world wide. Cross culturally, hard work tends to be praised (if not necessarily fairly rewarded), enforcement of laws, etc. No one, to name one example of thousands available, in Dynastic Egypt was a christian but they still valued skilled, motivated workers, and enforced laws.

abradley nails it in his above post. I was just expressing it in a short format but indeed my culture is that of a Christian. It definitely isn't Dynastic Egyptian and it isn't Chinese or Iranian. I bet they all respect or value hard work in their own ways but even when it comes to that - how and what - there are vast differences in how value of work is manifested in cultural context.

Essentially
Quote:
having "been strongly committed to Western Civilization."

All humans love music and art and appreciate that someone is working to put food on the table.

However, my religion is Christian, it is a wide enough topic to allow for some complications and a special relation with it but my introspection has revealed that I support it rather than it's alternatives and that I rather see it triumph over it's alternatives. I see it as the essence of Western Civilization that culturally sets us apart and as the core which we must value and praise in order to be as successful in the future as we've been in the past.

I view it as the fuel of our morale and that to support it is the way to fight our enemies attempts to demoralize us.

My juvenile loathing against Christianity was a phase - when I rejected the supernatural I was angry at the indoctrination and rejected more than I understood. The supernatural aspects became a thing that triggered me and the resentment spread beyond what I had problems with.

Now that I have been attending all the events in various roles from being a centerpiece to an honorary guest I have spent time talking with pastors and 'the faithful' and I see that our values are the exact same even if I don't share the optimistic faith in supernatural.

And I also must confess that I am at times drawn to contemplate on the things we don't understand and the things that could be. I am an atheist and to me it means I cannot say anything definitive on the subject of deities. What I do see is that our species can be around for a long time and spread to stars - but it needs a religious core, a source of shared values that will keep us from descending into anarchy and chaos, from tearing at each other and ourselves apart, a strong core around which a civilization and an interstellar species can be built, a core from which branches can sprout from.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 am 
Sergeant Major

I can definitively say this about deities: if they exist, no human is qualified to represent their goals or to act as their pitch men on this earth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:25 pm 
buck private

mdiehl wrote:
I can definitively say this about deities: if they exist, no human is qualified to represent their goals or to act as their pitch men on this earth.
Hmmmm, which deity told you this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Dont need a deity to tell me when humans lie about deities.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next