Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: Northern Lutheranism
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
abradley wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
No argument there! Rome DEFINITELY had it coming! Quite possibly the most corrupt entity ever, the Roman Catholic Church immediately prior to the Reformation.
Recently a church historian remarked that the Pedophile scandal was the second best thing to happen to the Catholic church, the first was the Reformation!

I agree, protestants forced Catholic Church to reform too and after a while iirc. they had instituted most of the things that protestants had asked for and which had caused them to break away, with Europe fighting itself over differences that largely had ceased to exist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
My parents are ethnic Germans from Romania. Both were members of the Evangelical (Lutheran) Church in Romania. Their services were all still conducted in German.
The Lutheran Church was established in Transylvania sometime between 1542-1550 (breaking away from the existing Roman Catholic Church). A man named Johann Hoterus was the man responsible for the establishment of the Lutheran Church in Transylvania.

From the way my father talks, there was still animosity (or at minimum mistrust) between the Lutherans and Catholics there.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:16 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
chijohnaok wrote:
My parents are ethnic Germans from Romania. Both were members of the Evangelical (Lutheran) Church in Romania. Their services were all still conducted in German.
The Lutheran Church was established in Transylvania sometime between 1542-1550 (breaking away from the existing Roman Catholic Church). A man named Johann Hoterus was the man responsible for the establishment of the Lutheran Church in Transylvania.

From the way my father talks, there was still animosity (or at minimum mistrust) between the Lutherans and Catholics there.
Repeating myself (old farts do that), was raised Catholic by Protestants, my whole extended family was protestant and treated me pretty good.

So don't have any hostility to Protestants, Jews, or any religion as long as it isn't threatening me or mine. Couldn't care less about their theology, that's between them and God.

As for atheists, don't call me stupid for believing there had to be something that created this mess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
abradley wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Repeating myself (old farts do that), was raised Catholic by Protestants, my whole extended family was protestant and treated me pretty good.

So don't have any hostility to Protestants, Jews, or any religion as long as it isn't threatening me or mine. Couldn't care less about their theology, that's between them and God.

As for atheists, don't call me stupid for believing there had to be something that created this mess.

Just to be clear, I never stated or meant to imply anything in your general direction Abradley/
I was simply sharing a little information regarding my parents, their background, and my dad's impression of Catholics in Romania.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
chijohnaok wrote:
Just to be clear, I never stated or meant to imply anything in your general direction Abradley/
I was simply sharing a little information regarding my parents, their background, and my dad's impression of Catholics in Romania.
I didn't take your post personal, just an old fart relating an unusual situation.

Sort of a 'Can you top this?'

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:34 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
abradley wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

I primarily try to limit my insults towards theists to the occasions where they initiate the insults.

But due to my youthful indiscretion the fires that burn within me sometimes boil over and I throw insults left and right. This I've seen of myself over the years, I'm a hothead and this alienates people that don't know me better.

I will give all theists this much concession:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

But you will have to give me pardon for calling some theists stupid, just like some atheists are stupid when they arrive at their position through bigotry and prejudice rather than rationale.

As such when someone comes up and says "all those paleontologists, they never considered that all the bones they're finding are really at most two-three thousand years old, those land layers shift due to mudslides and such, they just don't get this, but I do". And when called upon to review some of the theory about how aging works and the criticism and how the criticism is actually debunked they insist that there's no need for it.

Idiocy is universal. You cannot have a group of people, an ideology, religion or country without your minimum share of idiots.

The difficulty of communication is that when you've dealt with too many idiots you may be actually still engaged in your debate with idiots when you meet someone who isn't - and at this point you're still engaging the subject from an idiot's perspective.

This is in part what follows from "idiots will reduce you to their level and win with experience", I've myself found this happening to me until I recognize that the assumptions about the other person's position based on some past idiot are nothing more than a strawman.

Profile E-mail