maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Shroud and the jew: Barrie Schwortz at TEDx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2601
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
"Jesus and the Betrayal of the Roman Catholic Church"? :roll:

Actually it was Roman Catholic Church betraying Jesus.
How?

Where in Jesus' teachings you can find implication that his followers should construct a power system to rule over kings and peasants?

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus

But the Roman Catholic Church did just that when it could; Canossa.

Another this is the celibacy thing, where in the Bible you can find anything about celibacy?

Lets discuss these first, before I present other.

Your serve.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:41 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532
nero wrote:
Lets discuss these first, before I present other.

Your serve.

nero wrote:
Where in Jesus' teachings you can find implication that his followers should construct a power system to rule over kings and peasants?

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus

But the Roman Catholic Church did just that when it could; Canossa.
Am using the Catholic Bible, it is base on the earliest translations by St Jerome
IMO your mixing two separate points,
1) My Kingdom is not of this world http://www.drbo.org/chapter/50018.htm (36) is his answer when accused by Pilate of saying he was King of the Jews.

(2)The origin of Peter as Pope, https://www.catholic.com/tract/origins-of-peter-as-pope, Jesus made Peter 'First Among equals.' and gave him the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_of_Heaven
In the Gospel of Matthew 16:19, Jesus says to Peter, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on Earth shall be loosed in heaven."

The Pope's other Jobs http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/ ... text=itsta, gives a short, sweet explanation of how the humble Peter's job of spreading the word could evolve into a power that threatened Kings. Will not get into details of 'Canossa', just that the Pope and Henry ,both,wanted to appoint Bishops/priests in the Holy Roman Empire. We have similar situation now in China.

nero wrote:
Another this is the celibacy thing, where in the Bible you can find anything about celibacy?

As to Celibacy, I think this answers most questions:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
I didn't watch the video, but wasn't "celibacy" introduced pretty late in the Roman Catholic Church? Like . . . 1000 AD or thereabouts?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
I didn't watch the video, but wasn't "celibacy" introduced pretty late in the Roman Catholic Church? Like . . . 1000 AD or thereabouts?
Yes, IIRC mainly in response to Nepotism.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 pm 
First Sergeant

abradley wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Yes, IIRC mainly in response to Nepotism.

Right! That is more-or-less what I recalled.

Have to say, some of the history of "the West" (which, the Roman Catholic Church WAS for oh . . . 700 or 800 years . . .) during the period immediately after the fall of Rome and up to say . . . 1500 has some really spicy stories related to intrigues in the Catholic Church. In particular, I was deeply impressed when I learned a few years back in a discussion on the Paradox "Europa Universalis" boards about "anti-Popes."

There was one in particular, whose name I cannot think of, but maybe I'll spot it on that page . . . the dude sounds more like a frickin' gangster and he was for a period of time THE Pope in Avignon.

Anyway, sorry; bit of a tangent to your thread but.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:44 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
Right! That is more-or-less what I recalled.

Have to say, some of the history of "the West" (which, the Roman Catholic Church WAS for oh . . . 700 or 800 years . . .) during the period immediately after the fall of Rome and up to say . . . 1500 has some really spicy stories related to intrigues in the Catholic Church. In particular, I was deeply impressed when I learned a few years back in a discussion on the Paradox "Europa Universalis" boards about "anti-Popes."

There was one in particular, whose name I cannot think of, but maybe I'll spot it on that page . . . the dude sounds more like a frickin' gangster and he was for a period of time THE Pope in Avignon.

Anyway, sorry; bit of a tangent to your thread but.
Yes.

As I've posted before the church is made up of humans w/all our faults ... but the Word is what counts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think the biggest treason the the Roman Catholic Church is:

1st) Invention of the concept of purgatory. There is no indication in Jesus's teachings of that.
2nd) Status Ecclesiae, just opposite of Jesus again.

Luther had a point (Hus too). ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm 
First Sergeant

nero wrote:

1st) Invention of the concept of purgatory. There is no indication in Jesus's teachings of that.

I have not read the gospels closely enough and cannot distinguish what parts of it might REALLY have been Jesus's actual message and what parts might have got appended by others . . . But from what little I have gleaned about the "core message" of the Christ, he seems almost like Buddha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm 
buck private

nero wrote:

1. Purgatory:
Quote:
https://www.catholic.com/tract/purgatory
But that hardly accounts for the request of Monica, mother of Augustine, who asked her son, in the fourth century, to remember her soul in his Masses. This would make no sense if she thought her soul would not benefit from prayers, as would be the case if she were in hell or in the full glory of heaven.

2. The Papal states, what's wrong with the Papal States? When the Roman Empire fell there was no law except that from the Bishops (as I posted last time), without civil law the spiritual needs couldn't be administered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:

1. Purgatory:
Quote:
https://www.catholic.com/tract/purgatory
But that hardly accounts for the request of Monica, mother of Augustine, who asked her son, in the fourth century, to remember her soul in his Masses. This would make no sense if she thought her soul would not benefit from prayers, as would be the case if she were in hell or in the full glory of heaven.

2. The Papal states, what's wrong with the Papal States? When the Roman Empire fell there was no law except that from the Bishops (as I posted last time), without civil law the spiritual needs couldn't be administered.

Not convincing at all. As for the Papal State(s) they did it because they could? :roll:

And if a Pope did it, it is not a crime or against Jesus' will. :lol:

And purgatory was good business in form of indulgence trading: "as soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."

Luther had a point.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next